• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rides that never were

DaveW

TS Contributor
Ok so most people here have previously discussed the aborted SW1 and SW2, but I thought it was about time we discussed some of the lesser attractions that failed to become reality.

I'm pretty sure we have already had a topic on the Schwarzkopf multi lift hill coaster that was abandoned so I will gloss over that for now.

1: Virtigo. Got as far as featuring on the park map in 06. But in reality never got past the planning application stage.

2: Hot air balloon. Was to be situated on the current Sub-Terra site but again never saw the light of day.

3: "jazz land". Possibly the most illaberate hoax ever! Little is know about this development, except it was to be a huge cred street retheme and TLT extension. But was quickly over shadowed by The arrival of Rita.

So has anyone got any thoughts on any of these rides that never were, or know of any more little known aborted attractions?

The obvious are the two woodies that were planned- the cross-valley one, and the small on in UG Land.

There were also plans for a Broomstick themed Vekoma Booster Bike for gloomy wood floating around at one point. I think this may have been one of the options that was considered before Rita was decided on.

I think this would have suited the park much better than Rita at that point in time. It would have meant we got the family coaster Alton so badly needed without the whole Thirteen marketing fiasco.

CGM said:
There were also plans for a Broomstick themed Vekoma Booster Bike for gloomy wood floating around at one point. I think this may have been one of the options that was considered before Rita was decided on.

I think this would have suited the park much better than Rita at that point in time. It would have meant we got the family coaster Alton so badly needed without the whole Thirteen marketing fiasco.
I have a funny feeling that those plans were actually faked, but they were very good plans, so it's hard to tell. I'm pretty sure that someone on TST said that they weren't real, but if I'm wrong, then feel free to correct me.

I also heard of this underwater ride in the lake that was supposed to be built in the 90's? Where the guests would put special clothes on suitable for the water. Although it sounds a bit farfetched :p

The broom stick coaster was thrown into doubt I think due to the location and how pats of the ride strayed close to listed areas of the garden. I seem to remember the general consensus being that it was a possible alternative to Rita, or possibly a "decoy" to throw people of the scent.

Like "Jazzland" it's authenticity was questioned by the fact it was never formally submitted in a planning application, it just sort of appeared on TTF one day.

I have to admit that I would of liked Vertigo to of been built as the idea of it it quite interesting, obviously dire throughput though!!

Oh and just remembered another couple of concepts that never came about.

- Cluedo in the towers
- water playground on battle gallons site.
- treehouse playground in wooded area between hospitality suite and x-sector

Jonathan said:
I have a funny feeling that those plans were actually faked, but they were very good plans, so it's hard to tell. I'm pretty sure that someone on TST said that they weren't real, but if I'm wrong, then feel free to correct me.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the plans were fake. There was very little evidence to suggest that they were real as they are literally the only reference I've seen to the concept. It'd be unusual to have access to full blueprints of a ride but hear no other rumblings or rumours from the park.

Either way, I still like the concept and I think that in many ways a fake ride that a fan came up with is just as interesting as a ride that Alton planned but never made. In the end, neither is built but that doesn't stop us from looking back on them and thinking of what could have been. I don't know how much sense that makes.

Jonathan said:
CGM said:

I'd love to see these plans, if anyone has them :)

AshleeKel said:
Jonathan said:
CGM said:

I'd love to see these plans, if anyone has them :)

This is the direct link but if you want to see a whole collection of rides that never were then this link is better:

The Drawing Board (TT)

It always surprised me when we were back at TT that very few members actually read the site. There was so much data that was (and mostly still is) stored there, well maintained by our own Squiggles.

But I'm afraid the Broomstick ride has been deemed a fake. If you look closely at the document it copied all the technical data from Air.

Edit: At least that's what I've been told, can't find Air's plans any more to confirm it. But I believe this is the case.

The fact that the balloon right is mentioned on those plans stands out to me. As the recent LTDP has shown, the layouts of the park used in applications are rarely updated, as seen by the remaining presence of ug land.

So to me th exact the balloon right which never existed is listed seems somewhat suspiciously to me. Almost like someone was trying TO hard to make it look real, they failed to remember the corners that are often cut by the people drawing the plans.

The Black hole tent had loads of concepts planned for it, we have a few of them in our archives including a duelling flat ride and robo-arms. The theme concepts for SW6 are interesting too with robots, monsters and a western style all considered.

There was also a vertical launch coaster and a few Vekoma concepts considered.

People should also check our AltonTowersAlmanac which is still online though dormant, they have loads of stuff on there. History is TowersStreets next big project and obviously having had access to the Archives at Towers we have some interesting things to put up.

What is this Schwarzkopf multi lift hill coaster? This is the first I've ever heard of it? :)

It was the last thing John Broome planned, it was on the nemesis site and had a single ride but with two lifts and 2 trains would end up duelling. John Wardley binned it when Tussauds bought Alton

Dave said:
It was the last thing John Broome planned, it was on the nemesis site and had a single ride but with two lifts and 2 trains would end up duelling. John Wardley binned it when Tussauds bought Alton

Interesting - incredible to think how many ideas and plans there were for the Nemesis site. How different things could have been had we not had the genius of John Wardley ;)

Do any plans exist for the Schwarzkopf?

Even better:

OgyCC.jpg

The funny thing is Wardley binned it because he said the self duelling nature would never work. Oh... hello SW7 plans, what's that I see? two sections that duel with each other? Did someone have a change of heart?

Probably best off that he settled for Nemesis then looking at that layout - are there any inversions? I have to say that, having ridden the Grand National, a proper self-duelling layout does improve a coaster to no end. Especially when the result alternates and it's always close. Does look very cumbersome and bitty with all those lift hills though.

Eddie said:
I also heard of this underwater ride in the lake that was supposed to be built in the 90's? Where the guests would put special clothes on suitable for the water. Although it sounds a bit farfetched :p

Wasn't that a April Fools prank, I'm sure it involved sharks or something.

Project Dolphin and the many (arguably) better concepts for SW6, especially the robo arms.