• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rides that never were

EuroSatch said:
I remember seeing some time ago the plans for a eurofighter (pre SW7) in X-Sector. Anybody know where these might be?

And here's something else that enthusiasts will like to hear - ATA has learned that the ride's codename will be Secret Weapon 6, or SW6 for short. The Secret Weapon codenames are well known to fans of the park - Nemesis was SW3, Oblivion was SW4 and Air was SW5.

This does not automatically mean that the ride will be manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard, as all of the others were. There are various rumours as to the type of ride it will be; one such rumour is that it will be a Gerstlauer Eurofighter, an example of which can be found at Oakwood in the form of their ride Speed. A ride of this type was originally planned to replace the Black Hole but that plan was shelved at the time.

From towersalmanac.com

Edit: Wait what, these plans were shelved? Does anyone suddenly think the plans we are seeing for SW7 are these spoken about 'shelved' plans?

Squiggs said:
DaveW said:
Squiggs said:
Dave said:
It was the last thing John Broome planned, it was on the nemesis site and had a single ride but with two lifts and 2 trains would end up duelling. John Wardley binned it when Tussauds bought Alton
I believe that was actually planned for the woodland beyond Thirteen's queue line, the same site as the woody station. A planning application certainly went in for that area, later on in John Broome's era.
I always thought it was in the Abbey woods sort of area. Is that photo the only evidence of the ride? I've never seen anything else about it anywhere, it's not even really mentioned in the article that image came from
The map reference for it is on the Planning Portal, other than what JW mentioned and the picture from Schwartzkopf, I've not seen anything else about it.
I believe this is the planning submission for that ride although I can't be sure. The location is stated as Abbey Wood (where Thirteen is) and the dates match up as the plan was withdrawn in 1989. Tussauds took over in 1990 and John Wardley said one of the first decisions he made was to cancel this project. Maybe by 1989 they were already preparing the owner transition? In which case this would have been one of the first decisions he made.