Rides that never were

Discussion in 'Talbot Street' started by DaveW, 10th Nov 2012.

1. Towers freak

Towers freak TowersStreet Member

It was an april fools joke on then BBC saturday morning show "Live & Kicking". They interviewed someone from AT (it might have been John Wardley but I'm not sure) and about a new coaster opening that would go through the lake with sharks and riders would have wear wet suits ect. They showed some fake mock up pictures of the coaster. Yes it was a hoax but hey it must have worked if people still remember it over 16 years ago.

I remember in the year of the RMT accident there was a rumour of plans to retro-fit the ride with mic's and tv screens and make it into a "Karaoke Coaster" with sponsorship from Sing Star. So glad they didn't do it in the end or it would have been a huge mistake. Its laughable now if you think about it.

Found a news article from ATA
    http://www.towersalmanac.com/index.php?show_story=279

2. Harv

Harv TowersStreet Member

Pwahaha, that idea is utterly ridiculous, thanks for sharing it! I know it's not technically a new ride but I always loved the steampunk-esque plans for Air. They looked so... Alton.

3. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I knew that idea sounded farfetched! :p Was it featured in the Advent Calendar on TTF last year? Because I'm sure that's where I heard it from :p

Also, speaking of the Self Dueling Schwarzkopf. Anyone else remember the Arrow Pipeline coaster that was supposed to go on Nemmy's site?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1ki7PozKo# This Video explains the coaster a bit, looking at it I can see why Wardley didn't want it at Alton. It looks slow and not exciting.

4. JordanC

JordanC TowersStreet Member

Anyone want to share what vertigo was all about?

5. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    That was an April Fools joke on Going Live, I believe. ;)

6. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Yes as about 3 other people have already informed me, Diogo ;)

7. Fredward

Fredward TowersStreet Member

Hey Eddie, I believe the underwater coaster was to be an April fool's joke.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

8. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Gee, I didn't know that! Thanks for informing me Matt! :p

9. Harv

Harv TowersStreet Member

April's fool joke, wasn't it?

10. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It was a zipwire from the top of the towers to the lawns near towers street. It opened briefly as part of the "Playstation weekender" event and was intended to be a permanent addition in 2006. It appeared on the park map that season, but was never (re)built.

11. TheMan

TheMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    NemiLerVion
    That would have had good throughput I'm sure!

12. Squiggs

Squiggs TS Site Team Team Member

I believe that was actually planned for the woodland beyond Thirteen's queue line, the same site as the woody station. A planning application certainly went in for that area, later on in John Broome's era.

13. DaveW

DaveW TS Contributor

I always thought it was in the Abbey woods sort of area. Is that photo the only evidence of the ride? I've never seen anything else about it anywhere, it's not even really mentioned in the article that image came from

14. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

15. Squiggs

Squiggs TS Site Team Team Member

The map reference for it is on the Planning Portal, other than what JW mentioned and the picture from Schwartzkopf, I've not seen anything else about it.

16. CGM

CGM TowersStreet Member

Seeing the blueprints for the cross valley woodie again makes me very sad. Local residents are just no fun. Assuming that it was going to be an Intamin wooden coaster (and everything about the project pointed at that), it would have surely been one of the best coasters in the world. Intamin prefabs aren't even that loud compared to say an un-silenced B&M and you'd think that Balder-style scream shields could have been used if necessary.

I'd be interested to know just how close they were to actually building it as we did reach the point where there were spray paint marks on the ground and trees marked for removal. It makes me wonder if there's any wooden track hanging around the Intamin factory that was originally intended for Alton. If they seriously wanted to open it in 2005, they must have been close to that point.

17. EuroSatch

EuroSatch TowersStreet Member

I remember seeing some time ago the plans for a eurofighter (pre SW7) in X-Sector. Anybody know where these might be?

18. Rupert

Rupert TowersStreet Member

^ Are you sure you're not thinking of the Maurer X-Car for the Black Hole tent that had the inverted launch? That looked ridiculous. The plans popped up on TTF for a while but were then removed as they were confidential I think, not sure what happened to them.

19. EuroSatch

EuroSatch TowersStreet Member

It was possibly that, although was sure it was a eurofighter

20. James

James TS Founding Member

Here's a picture of the temporary zipwire used for the 2005 Playstation event, if any of you are interested:
    [​IMG]

From towersalmanac.com :)