• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rides that never were

Stelios said:
Eddie said:
I also heard of this underwater ride in the lake that was supposed to be built in the 90's? Where the guests would put special clothes on suitable for the water. Although it sounds a bit farfetched :p

Wasn't that a April Fools prank, I'm sure it involved sharks or something.

It was an april fools joke on then BBC saturday morning show "Live & Kicking". They interviewed someone from AT (it might have been John Wardley but I'm not sure) and about a new coaster opening that would go through the lake with sharks and riders would have wear wet suits ect. They showed some fake mock up pictures of the coaster. Yes it was a hoax but hey it must have worked if people still remember it over 16 years ago.

I remember in the year of the RMT accident there was a rumour of plans to retro-fit the ride with mic's and tv screens and make it into a "Karaoke Coaster" with sponsorship from Sing Star. So glad they didn't do it in the end or it would have been a huge mistake. Its laughable now if you think about it.

Found a news article from ATA
http://www.towersalmanac.com/index.php?show_story=279

Pwahaha, that idea is utterly ridiculous, thanks for sharing it! I know it's not technically a new ride but I always loved the steampunk-esque plans for Air. They looked so... Alton.

I knew that idea sounded farfetched! :p Was it featured in the Advent Calendar on TTF last year? Because I'm sure that's where I heard it from :p

Also, speaking of the Self Dueling Schwarzkopf. Anyone else remember the Arrow Pipeline coaster that was supposed to go on Nemmy's site?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1ki7PozKo# This Video explains the coaster a bit, looking at it I can see why Wardley didn't want it at Alton. It looks slow and not exciting.

Eddie said:
I also heard of this underwater ride in the lake that was supposed to be built in the 90's? Where the guests would put special clothes on suitable for the water. Although it sounds a bit farfetched :p
That was an April Fools joke on Going Live, I believe. ;)

DiogoJ42 said:
Eddie said:
That was an April Fools joke on Going Live, I believe. ;)

Yes as about 3 other people have already informed me, Diogo ;)

Hey Eddie, I believe the underwater coaster was to be an April fool's joke.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Fredward said:
Hey Eddie, I believe the underwater coaster was to be an April fool's joke.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Gee, I didn't know that! Thanks for informing me Matt! :p

JordanC said:
Anyone want to share what vertigo was all about?
It was a zipwire from the top of the towers to the lawns near towers street. It opened briefly as part of the "Playstation weekender" event and was intended to be a permanent addition in 2006. It appeared on the park map that season, but was never (re)built.

John said:
JordanC said:
It was a zipwire from the top of the towers to the lawns near towers street. It opened briefly as part of the "Playstation weekender" event and was intended to be a permanent addition in 2006. It appeared on the park map that season, but was never (re)built.

That would have had good throughput I'm sure!

Dave said:
It was the last thing John Broome planned, it was on the nemesis site and had a single ride but with two lifts and 2 trains would end up duelling. John Wardley binned it when Tussauds bought Alton

I believe that was actually planned for the woodland beyond Thirteen's queue line, the same site as the woody station. A planning application certainly went in for that area, later on in John Broome's era.

Squiggs said:
Dave said:
It was the last thing John Broome planned, it was on the nemesis site and had a single ride but with two lifts and 2 trains would end up duelling. John Wardley binned it when Tussauds bought Alton

I believe that was actually planned for the woodland beyond Thirteen's queue line, the same site as the woody station. A planning application certainly went in for that area, later on in John Broome's era.

I always thought it was in the Abbey woods sort of area. Is that photo the only evidence of the ride? I've never seen anything else about it anywhere, it's not even really mentioned in the article that image came from

DaveW said:
Squiggs said:
Dave said:

I always thought it was in the Abbey woods sort of area. Is that photo the only evidence of the ride? I've never seen anything else about it anywhere, it's not even really mentioned in the article that image came from

The map reference for it is on the Planning Portal, other than what JW mentioned and the picture from Schwartzkopf, I've not seen anything else about it.

Seeing the blueprints for the cross valley woodie again makes me very sad. Local residents are just no fun. Assuming that it was going to be an Intamin wooden coaster (and everything about the project pointed at that), it would have surely been one of the best coasters in the world. Intamin prefabs aren't even that loud compared to say an un-silenced B&M and you'd think that Balder-style scream shields could have been used if necessary.

I'd be interested to know just how close they were to actually building it as we did reach the point where there were spray paint marks on the ground and trees marked for removal. It makes me wonder if there's any wooden track hanging around the Intamin factory that was originally intended for Alton. If they seriously wanted to open it in 2005, they must have been close to that point.

I remember seeing some time ago the plans for a eurofighter (pre SW7) in X-Sector. Anybody know where these might be?

^ Are you sure you're not thinking of the Maurer X-Car for the Black Hole tent that had the inverted launch? That looked ridiculous. The plans popped up on TTF for a while but were then removed as they were confidential I think, not sure what happened to them.

TheMan said:
John said:
JordanC said:

That would have had good throughput I'm sure!

Here's a picture of the temporary zipwire used for the 2005 Playstation event, if any of you are interested:
normal_05freedom_04.jpg

From towersalmanac.com :)