• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ring-Racer at the Nurburgring will it ever open??

JB1985

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Oblivion
Will this ride ever open?

Also, going off the topic header have there ever been any other examples of built / tested rides with large budgets that have failed to open?

Orphan Rocker is the first one that comes to mind.

I'd love to know more about Ring Racer. I've not heard anything about it for ages. Maybe they are trying to sweep the whole fiasco under the carpet?

I doubt that it'll open. It was made by S&S, and a quick search on RCDB reveals that its theoretical capacity is a whopping 400 per hour. Yep. 400. Plus it just looks rather boring.

After how much money and time has been thrown at this project I'll be very surprised if it doesn't open. It's still listed on the ring°werk section of the Nürburgring website as coming soon, and RCDB are still listing it as opening in 2012. Last I heard something had gone wrong on it resulting in a large bang and part(s) falling off and being scattered around the area, if I remember rightly (That's all the detail I can remember) :p

Knoebel's Flying Turns is another ride that's been under construction for ages although I'm fairly sure the turns will open, it's just that Knoebel's are in no rush to get the ride just how they want it. However it is amusing that two other coasters have opened at the park since the Flying Turns started construction.

I suspect they will eventually open Ring Racer but I have heard they've contacted another company as S&S aren't getting anywhere trying to fix it.

Jonathan said:
capacity is a whopping 400 per hour.

As bad as that sounds the ride is not at a theme park and so doesn't need a big capacity. I think a fair few travelling rides only have a 400pph capacity.

Ian said:
RCDB are still listing it as opening in 2012.

That seems to be there way of saying we don't know :p Just like the Flying Turns it's been updated with the current years date for at least 4 years now.

Granted, it's not at a theme park, but I would think that on race weekends, lots of people would want to ride it.

Ring Racer is a bit ridiculous, isn't it? I can see the appeal for whichever group of people decided to have it constructed though whether the motorsport enthusiasts would want to ride it is a completely different matter. The setbacks don't create the safe environment image (It broke windows last time!) and so there's a lot of doubt as to why they're even attempting this.

I do hope Ring Racer opens without any more setbacks at some point because no doubt we'd want to take a look but at the moment its fate just looks very unlikely for success :(

The S&S pneumatic launch system makes Intamin's hydraulic launch look the most reliable thing in the world. No wonder it's not used by anyone other than S&S given its track record.

I don't understand why they chose S&S either. there must have been some reason for it. I think Intamin are one of the only companies who have created a decent alternative to LIM/LSM launch systems. The hydraulic launch is actually a great system. Probably not the most reliable system in the world, and does have its flaws but it works well! An energy efficient and forceful system, capable of producing high speed and forces. I've never understood why anyone would choose an air launch coaster when this already out on the market. The only thing I can think of is if they owners wanted a more gradual acceleration. I don't know wether the hydraulic system can offer that. Most of them seem to give a very short, sharp burst of speed. However, looking at the RCDB page it looks like the acceleration would be one of the selling points of this ride.

It's a mind boggler! :p

Ian said:
I don't understand why they chose S&S either. there must have been some reason for it. I think Intamin are one of the only companies who have created a decent alternative to LIM/LSM launch systems. The hydraulic launch is actually a great system. Probably not the most reliable system in the world, and does have its flaws but it works well! An energy efficient and forceful system, capable of producing high speed and forces. I've never understood why anyone would choose an air launch coaster when this already out on the market. The only thing I can think of is if they owners wanted a more gradual acceleration. I don't know wether the hydraulic system can offer that. Most of them seem to give a very short, sharp burst of speed. However, looking at the RCDB page it looks like the acceleration would be one of the selling points of this ride.

It's a mind boggler! :p

Not sure about the more gradual acceleration - if you look at off ride videos of Dodonpa (which also uses the S&S compressed air launch) it looks just as fast as hydraulic - if not more to me. It seems that if they could get it working more reliably then it would be the fastest accelerating launch system of all.

Sorry, what I meant was maybe there's some way S&S can adapt it. While all the ones we've seen work have been quite forceful it is possible S&S have some way to control the force of the acceleration which is not possible on the Intamin hydraulic system. This would give the owners a reason for opting for air :)

Screamscape said:
???? - RINGºRACER - (5/20/13) Good news at last for European coaster fans as the infamous RingºRacer coaster at the world famous Nurburgring race track in Germany is apparently set to open on July 7th according to a German newspaper. There is one question however, as rumors suggest that RingºRacer may not launch at the originally promoted 217kph (135mph) speed. While I don’t know the official top speed that RingºRacer will open in 2013, I do know that during the brief series of test ride sessions back in 2009 it was only being launched at 140kph (87mph) at the time. More on this issue as I find out…

The chance of it ever operating at 135mph seems remote to me. But good news nonetheless!

From the Los Angeles Times...

RingRacer: Top speed record now out of reach for oft-delayed German coaster

The long-anticipated RingRacer at Germany's Nurburgring racetrack is set to join the ranks of the fastest roller coasters in the world when it reopens this summer after a four-year delay.

Back in 2009, the $15-million compressed-air-launch coaster was billed as the fastest coaster in the world with a top speed of 135 mph. Built by Utah-based S&S Worldwide, RingRacer was designed to launch with a force of 5.6 Gs and travel along a 4,000-foot-long track running between the grandstands and the racecourse. Reaching maximum acceleration in 2.5 seconds, the coaster would accelerate twice as fast as the Formula One single-seater cars that race at the renowned Grand Prix track 75 miles northwest of Frankfurt.

RingRacer never achieved the record-setting pace. With Formula One champion Michael Schumacher on board in July 2009, RingRacer operated at approximately 80 mph during its maiden run because the braking system was "not quite working well enough," according to Autosport magazine.

Within weeks of the debut, a problem with the launch system forced the closure of the new coaster. A few months later, an explosion while testing the pneumatic launch injured seven people and damaged a nearby building, according to the General-Anzeiger newspaper. Since then the idled 125-foot-tall coaster has stood as a constant reminder of the failed attempt at the record books.

Over the ensuing years, the few photos of riders aboard RingRacer have whet the appetite of coaster enthusiasts around the world.

Provided they secure the proper operating permit, Nurburgring officials hope to reopen RingRacer on July 7 during a Formula One race at the German track. According to track officials, the initial launch speed of RingRacer will be approximately 105 mph with the possibility of higher speeds at a later date.

But even at that speed, RingRacer will remain behind the coasters it was designed to top: Kingda Ka (128 mph) at New Jersey's Six Flags Great Adventure, Top Thrill Dragster (120 mph) at Ohio's Cedar Point and Doponpa (107 mph) at Japan's Fuji-Q Highland.

The real problem, of course, is that records are meant to be broken. Since RingRacer's brief but fleeting debut, the star-crossed coaster has been bested by the 149 mph Formula Rosa at Ferrari World in the United Arab Emirates. Which means, as any race fan knows, RingRacer will never finish any better than second place.

Well, they tried. :p

Intamin don't often come out winning for reliability/rerideability... But they kicked some serious S&S behind with this one!

I feel pity for Ring°racer - someone give it a cookie and a hug.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

When it was first meant to open it was a bit of a race between Intamin with Formula Rossa and S&S with this embarrassment to be the fastest rollercoaster in the world.

Intamin must have been sitting back for the last few years watching this and laughing.

Haha! All that effort... for nothing.

I was surprised that my dad knew more about this than me :eek: Then again, the fact the 're-opening' coinciding with F1 makes more sense (my dad being a big fan and all that!) :p