• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ripsaw to move to X Sector?

If it does move it would be a strange choice, why bother moving a really old ride to the other side of the park, they could hardly market it as brand new even if it got a new name and theme. But if it does move it will be interesting to see what goes in its place, as its quite a small bit of land, even if you remove the cafe. Without re-designing the whole area and paths around Ripsaw.

I would rather they got a brand new ride in X-sector and left Ripsaw where it is, then when Ripsaw dies get something new there.

The only reason I can see them moving it is if they have plans for a major new ride that needs the space. I did remember hearing a rumour ages ago about a possible location for a major coaster was for the station and queue to go where ripsaw and cafe are and then the ride run behind air and onto the car park area. Only prob with this is that you wouldn't be able to see much of the ride for the entrance and queue area.

If it does move it would be a strange choice, why bother moving a really old ride to the other side of the park, they could hardly market it as brand new even if it got a new name and theme. But if it does move it will be interesting to see what goes in its place, as its quite a small bit of land, even if you remove the cafe. Without re-designing the whole area and paths around Ripsaw.

I would rather they got a brand new ride in X-sector and left Ripsaw where it is, then when Ripsaw dies get something new there.

Top Spin is one of the best thrill flat rides around so keeping one of those models is preferable to a new type of flat. If Ripsaw and the Blade go there is quite a lot of space they could use along the edge of FV.

Its a good ride, but surely it can't have that many years left in it, they have to do major work every closed season to it just to get it through another year. They would be better off buying a brand new one so ensure it lasts for years to come.

Yes, it's of the similarly named Riptide at Knott's Berry. A ride which I only witnessed operating twice when I visited - once when I went on, and another time with only 1 person riding :p

Riptide is my favourite top spin - mainly because its somewhere that can take advantage of being soaked!

As Dan says this rumour has been around for a while now, it's not completely out of the question either. It's hardly a secret the original location of SW7 was going to be FV, strongly rumoured to be on the land used by ripsaw and blade in part.

Structurally Ripsaw is fine, and one of its main issues is the Skyride draws so much power from FV that Ripsaw struggles to draw enough to run (there is a video on YouTube showing how differently Ripsaw runs when the Skyride is down.

On the flip side Enterprise is knackered and won't last much longer and X-Sector needs a filler ride. It wouldn't be completely barmy to move Ripsaw to fill a need.

Ripsaw is structurally fine yes but it requires such work its not worth it. When a new ride is there (and a new substation, Christ FV needs it by the sounds of it) Ripsaw will be scrapped, as will Blade...

What work does it need?

Technically it's 2 motors, locking breaks and the harness system. The usual fault it has is the harnesses are a bit small and it trips out when big people are on. Nothing will stop that happening.

a bit of electrical reworking is about as much as it really needs as well as a better power supply.

If they did ever move it to X-Sector... could we lose the fountains? Even though they are barely used these days, they still provide a pretty great visual. So it would be a shame to lose that if it's ever moved.

If they did ever move it to X-Sector... could we lose the fountains? Even though they are barely used these days, they still provide a pretty great visual. So it would be a shame to lose that if it's ever moved.

Maybe they're going to put a pump into The Smiler's pit, and use the water drained from that for the fountains? :p

I heard about this rumour in the exact same form long before it hit Screamscape, so I suspect it has a lot of validity.

Whether it is actually going to happen or was just an idea tossed around by management, I do not know. I do think it has been seriously considered at the very least, though.

Maybe they're going to put a pump into The Smiler's pit, and use the water drained from that for the fountains? :p

Driven directly by the rides motion or using a turbine powered by the air Oblivion moves exiting the tunnel :p

I needed to be less subtle with my comments about water in the area earlier in the thread obviously lol!!

I don't get why it would be an issue to move "it's structurally needs work" etc... if it's that bad, it wouldn't be running.

This is an old ride, with the manufacturer still making rides, @Dave seems to have more knowledge here given he's talking about specifics of power draw. Also, the rumour being confirmed by a few of the knowledgeable other members gives this real credence for me.

I'll will expect Ripsaw to be moved now more than stay, I just hope they do take the water with it - and it's not such a stupid idea to add some better drainage to the area while they are at in in closed season.

It feels hidden away nowadays in FV and it is still a real spectacle when in full flow. I hope the old girl gets a new lease of life! Be missed in FV for sure, but this could add a good amount of life to the ride, stripping it completely down and rebuilding it, I think it's a great idea I really do.

Marketing would love this to happen also. They can market it as being a new thrill ride (and let's face it we know they would) without it actually being new. As I said previously I do think it would mean the end of the fountains but if it does happen I hope it gets a decent re-theme.

:)

I personally do not see the point in the fountains. I first rode Ripsaw at ScareFest last year, and including that trip, to date, I have visited a total of 10 times, and have ridden it on 8 of those 10. The ONLY time I have ever been splashed on Ripsaw by the fountains was at ScareFest last year, when it was raining and damn cold, whereas I've visited on rather warm days this year, and haven't been splashed once.

I think they've been rather good with the fountains this year, especially during the summer. They even had an announcement before the ride started when I visited in September. Can't remember it word for word but something like "ripsaw is a water ride, you may get wet." I can't remember this happening earlier in the season, is this a new thing or have I been totally oblivious? People on the front row came off relatively dry but the back row got drenched and they even used the fountains during the first spin, instead of just at the end.

It's very amusing, all these armchair engineers who tell us with a degree of certainty that it couldn't possibly survive the move, and that it'd be scrapped before being relocated!

The ride's actually in a reasonably good shape - unlike Enterprise, it's a very well-built ride, very sturdy and solid. It's kinda like a knackered B&M - the motors and stuff may be worn out, but the actual metalwork is massive and not flimsy in the slightest.

I imagine that with a refurb from Huss, it could quite easily be moved. The structural integrity of the ride seems to be as strong as it ever was.