• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ripsaw to move to X Sector?

jon81uk

TS Member
Screamscape are reporting a rumour that Ripsaw will move to the old Submisson site and Refresh@Ripsaw is already closed http://www.screamscape.com/html/alton_towers.htm This will then open up a large amount of land along the side of Forbiddon Valley for future attractions.

Could we see a cross-valley coaster but with the station at the Forbiddon Valley end? I don't see the point of moving Ripsaw, surely it would make more sense just to buy a new TopSpin and scrap Ripsaw given its age?

I can't see it happening. I don't think ripsaw would survive moving three inches, never mind to the other side of the park.

I tell you what though, if they took it apart and rebuilt/re-theme it (*I know*) it would fit rather nicely into X-Sector.

I'd like to see this happen, Ripsaw is still great to watch, if you consider they may have to/want to move blade, that makes a substantial plot of land available.

Would be weird admittedly, they could even theme is as the washing machine element...

Wouldn't trust this since "according to a Screamscape reader" could be just about any one making things up off the top of their head.

Although Ripsaw with a new theme would fit very nicely in X-Sector. Maybe if they plan on the next big coaster being in Forbidden Valley then moving Ripsaw a year before planned construction is not all a bad idea. That would leave FV in a bit of a mess though, Blade really needs to be removed and replaced, and a second flat ride like Ripsaw is needed to soak up some crowd during busier times.

I think it would be good to keep a lower height restriction flat too (similar to the Blade if it gets moved) that way if the kids are waiting for Dad to ride Nemesis (for example) there is still a ride the kids can go on. Or is it better to keep the whole area with a higher restriction and create a thrill ride only area?

A high height restriction does not make it a better ride.

I guess who you asks depends on what answer you get, but a Family park, should ideally have something for all ages in each area.

As for Ripsaw been moved to X-Sector, while it would fit nicely in that gap, I don't think it would be as popular, or that it would get as many people stood around watching it.

Ian

Ripsaw is only moving one place if it moves: The Scrapyard

I think a new Enterprise (current one is almost FUBAR'd) and another interesting flat would be good for X-Sector...

Why buy a new flat of the same type that's been around for decades when newer, more exciting models are available now?
Like Poisson said, if Ripsaw is going anywhere, it's going straight to scrap. Spending more on maintenance doesn't guarantee it's staying, take a look at Submission for a good example. :p Would love to say that I hope Merlin invest in a couple of new flats for Towers but that's a bit too optimistic.

Ripsaw's been on its last legs for ages. I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has tbh. If Towers tried to move it, I'm pretty certain it wouldn't work again. It'd probably work in X-Sector, given a retheme, but Towers would be better off in getting new thrill flats to replace the older ones that are there. Which is basically the current thrill flat line-up of Enterprise, Ripsaw and The Blade. :p

I'm not convinced it'll be relocated rather than scrapped, but it's certainly an interesting idea. FV needs something big to draw people back into that side of the park and away from DF/XS

It sounds like a plausible idea to me, can anyone confirm the Refresh@Ripsaw gutting story? Enterprise was recently refurbed, it's not beyond believability that they might take it apart and send it back to HUSS for a complete refurbishment. It would leave FV a little bare on that side though...although perhaps they're planning something for 2016 in that spot?

It sounds like a plausible idea to me, can anyone confirm the Refresh@Ripsaw gutting story? Enterprise was recently refurbed, it's not beyond believability that they might take it apart and send it back to HUSS for a complete refurbishment. It would leave FV a little bare on that side though...although perhaps they're planning something for 2016 in that spot?

I would expect if they are doing this then the aim is to clear space for a 2016 attraction in FV.

A high height restriction does not make it a better ride.
As for Ripsaw been moved to X-Sector, while it would fit nicely in that gap, I don't think it would be as popular, or that it would get as many people stood around watching it.

I was thinking the opposite actually, with The Smiler one side and 'ripsaw' (which would be renamed surely?) the other, I think they would really compliment each other. A new lease of life and a new interest for the ride, even if it still is popular in FV. If rippy did move, I wouldn't be too sad as it would mean it would receive a major overhaul and hopefully get a few more years out of her. I remember Ripsaw being the new attraction and has always been my favorite flat at AT. (Not much competition I know.)

Regarding submission being 'overhauled' to no prevail, isn't that mainly because Chance didn't have the parts and/or engineers. Huss do, and they are a much bigger/reputable manufacturer? And the top-spin model must have been sold dozens of times where-as the Double Inverter by Chance was only sold twice (to my knowledge?)

Reading this I'm starting to get curious/excited about 2016, wasn't the blade/ripsaw area the proposed station area for the cross-valley woodie....?:) *sigh* Just had a reality check writing this... :( Damn you M3rlin & your USP's.

Reading this I'm starting to get curious/excited about 2016, wasn't the blade/ripsaw area the proposed station area for the cross-valley woodie....?:) *sigh* Just had a reality check writing this... :( Damn you M3rlin & your USP's.

The originally submitted woodie plans had the station behind Ug Land (as it was then), however I suppose that was because of the limitations on the FV side in regards to Ripsaw/Air being in the way.

Let's collectively hope that Varney has had a change of mind and a huge RMC/GG is being planned as we speak to go in through the valley!

Yeah original cross-valley woodie plans had the station where Thirteen & Rita are now. I think it would have replaced Corkscrew no matter what.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea on paper to be fair. But sadly the ride is nearly 18 years old and is nearing the end of its lifespan. If it were 2000, then you could have moved it there whilst the old Energiser went to UG Land as Boneshaker, Submission wouldn't exist at all for something better in the Valley, then I think it would be a great idea, but now that is sadly 14 years too late.

When Ripsaw gets taken down, it won't be put back together again. It's a good idea, but Ripsaw is knackered, doubt if they rebuilt it somewhere else they'd ever get it working again

It costs the park a heck of a lot just to keep it working where it currently is. I highly doubt they'd be willing to spend more on top of that on a ride which hasn't got long left anyway...

I'm not sure whether it's actually the case, but I tend to imagine that Ripsaw could be the most iconic flat ride in a UK theme park. It's a massive shame that it's lost much of its theming and has been allowed to become genuinely scruffy, rather than intentionally mock-scruffy like when it was new, but it's still an excellent fit for Forbidden Valley and I'm not at all keen on the idea of it being removed or relocated. In X-Sector I suspect it would lose its appeal and become essentially just another flat ride (for want of a better way of putting it).

I'm not sure whether it's actually the case, but I tend to imagine that Ripsaw could be the most iconic flat ride in a UK theme park.
To answer you question no, it is not. :) I'm pretty sure that crown lies with Rameses. That's the flat most people know anyway.