• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rollercoaster Restaurant: General Discussion

Putting a big fancy restaurant with a "food loop" thingy in that area is ridiculous.

If it happens then I'll eat my collection of park maps!

Somehow, I think my digestive system is safe for now.
Please don't disappoint us like Spin Doctor did after saying he'd crack eggs on his face if The Smiler didn't have a washing machine element (or something along those lines)! :p

This rumour has been around a while and now this planning application backs it up. I am interested to see the size of the extension to the Air shop though as they are going to need a good amount of space for a restaurant. Air's exit will also have to be re-worked.

In terms of the food selection/quality - I have always enjoyed the selection at EP and they seem to change the menu there quite frequently. Does anyone know if it is the park or the Rollercoaster Restaurant company that set menus etc?

:)

It would make more sense for this to be over by the hotels in a completely new building, custom designed for this purpose. Also whilst they are at it, they could do with a new entertainment area down near the hotel, but thats another topic entirely.

So am I right in thinking they are going to stuck a big restaurant right in front of Air's fantastically designed shop building?

I love the idea of the foodloop and the park getting an exciting eatery for once but Merlin will ruin Air's only decent aesthetic aspect. They made no effort with The Smiler and Sub-Terra's buildings I doubt this will be much better.

Plus it will probably be an ugly tin shed with blue vinyl wrapped around and a sign stuck on top.

Why do they not build it in that large space between the lift hill and first drop where that seating area is? Currently that area is a dead zone and would be the best place for it.

It must be said though that Forbidden Valley given the size of the area and number of attractions has been crying out for a decent sized sit down restaurant. The Fish and Chips place (now burnt out!) and Burger Bar are insufficient for the area as it stands.

Last edited:
Please don't disappoint us like Spin Doctor did after saying he'd crack eggs on his face if The Smiler didn't have a washing machine element (or something along those lines)! :p

Oh I'll make a whole video of me doing it, just for you! :p

On another note, i'm sure many of the haters would love this to be pie in the sky but it really is happening. I wonder what would please some people I really do.

I've got nothing against this kind of development, just the area they want to shoe horn it into.

So am I right in thinking they are going to stuck a big restaurant right in front of Air's fantastically designed shop building?

I love the idea of the foodloop and the park getting an exciting eatery for once but Merlin will ruin Air's only decent aesthetic aspect. They made no effort with The Smiler and Sub-Terra's buildings I doubt this will be much better.

Plus it will probably be an ugly tin shed with blue vinyl wrapped around and a sign stuck on top.

Why do they not build it in that large space between the lift hill and first drop where that seating area is? Currently that area is a dead zone and would be the best place for it.

It must be said though that Forbidden Valley given the size of the area and number of attractions has been crying out for a decent sized sit down restaurant. The Fish and Chips place (now burnt out!) and Burger Bar are insufficient for the area as it stands.
To be fair, we do not know if it will ruin any of Air's asthetics. Of course it could do and if it did I would agree with that being a large concern as the Air shop does look pretty good as it is. We will have to wait for the plan but I would imagine that the extension will be done in the same style to the main building and will still look pretty good. I don't think they would get planning permission otherwise.

I'd imagine there will be plans for a new relatively large shop in Forbidden Valley at the same time as SW8 in 2017 which will make up for the lost shop space. I suppose we also don't know if this extension is for 2016 or 2017 at the moment.

It's all irrelevant anyway, the application wasn't filled out correctly :p
auUK2Lk.png

This happens surprisingly often with Towers :p

Not sure I'm a fan of the 'single story front extension' though... Rear is fine as it will just extend the building at its current height but a single story added at the front will really ruin the design of the building.

Towers submitted a planning app that gets rejected as its not filled in right....never ....I do hope its not the same person who did the last one , if she its squeeky bum time

Yeah that does happen if the tray is too light or not been pushed down with enough force. It's a problem which can't really be fixed that easily, unless they adapt the trays to have wheels on the top, bottom and sides.

When at EP, my order got stuck at one of the highest drop zones, but they just pulled a rope which sent it running. This was when the lift which took it up didn't quite make it.

The planning application has been updated confirming its a restaurant.

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=78034

Out of interest Pete, how will you be cooking the maps?

The plans also show the entrance feature is a loop of foodloop track, so thats confirmed then.

Also shows exisiting terrace will be new Air photo & retail (so you come turn right at the top of the exit stairs into new area) and it looks like kitchen will go where current disabled entrance is. I still think the number of tables here is going to be very low compared to demand!

I certainly think this idea has potential, and could be a good addition to Forbidden Valley. The loss of Air's sizeable shop does disappoint me, although there is the potential for a new, larger shop in FV if SW8 is a coaster, and if it has its station in FV. With the right execution, this could prove to be great, but as we've seen with many additions that have been made to the park since Merlin bought it, the finished products have sometimes left a bit to be desired.

While I am very sceptical of how well executed this will be if the build quality matches that of the original building this is a very exciting prospect. I love the FoodLoop and despite asking for one at Alton never imagined it would actually happen. Let alone to have it appear in one of my favourite buildings on site, it's a great match and expands the existing structure in a very logical way.

I just hope they do this justice :)

I'm a little dubious about this - execution of the FoodLoop and quality of food aside (I'm willing to be surprised on that!), with Tower's present opening hours I really don't see the point of building such a restaurant. The opening hours of the park are too short to make sitting down for an hour worthwhile, not counting the inevitable queue time on top waiting to get in.

We visit FoodLoop once every trip to Europa Park because the park opening hours are such that we can enjoy a leisurely meal and still have plenty of ride time.