• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Russia vs NATO

Can I ask; is it only me who feels a slight pang of dread every time this thread is bumped? I know that nothing too drastic conflict-wise has happened for the past few bumps (in fact, I’d say Gary’s most recent one above was actually rather good news), but it certainly does make me at least a little anxious seeing that new post notification for the Russia vs NATO thread…

If you seek out news on the possibility of nuclear war or WW3, perhaps a rollercoaster website should not be your first choice.
If they do sound the four minute warning, don't waste your time putting it up on here.

@Matt N - as others have said, and for which I put my hand up, and apologise to you for with regards it making you more anxious, therefore, I’m looking to only post “good” things now. After all, there is plenty of the other mainstream stuff constantly on TV.
No need to apologise @GaryH; I appreciated your informative posts as a means of helping me keep on top of the situation. As much as the situation makes me anxious, that’s not your problem to deal with; I never had any issue with your posts.

A US journalist has been shot dead near Kyiv, with another injured.

Could this be the catalyst for the US to finally intervene?

RIP.

No it’s unlikely it would cause America to intervene militarily, it’s sad but this will be seen as a private matter as they where there as part of a news organisation. I would hazard a guess they will do something further with sanctions or expel some Russian diplomats.

No it’s unlikely it would cause America to intervene militarily, it’s sad but this will be seen as a private matter as they where there as part of a news organisation. I would hazard a guess they will do something further with sanctions or expel some Russian diplomats.
Apparently they were freelance actually, and not employed by or linked to the New York Times. The US have said there will be "consequences".

US won’t go to war with Russia over this. The guy was there on his own accord and let’s be honest, anyone in a war zone is a potential target unfortunately, especially with the Russians who don’t care who they shoot at.

The strike on the military base 6 miles from the polish border however was very risky last night. If one of those missiles had gone off course and hit Poland that would have put the US/NATO in the war.

I’m hopeful these whispers that a settlement may be found this week will come true. The longer this goes on, the higher the risk.

US won’t go to war with Russia over this. The guy was there on his own accord and let’s be honest, anyone in a war zone is a potential target unfortunately, especially with the Russians who don’t care who they shoot at.

The strike on the military base 6 miles from the polish border however was very risky last night. If one of those missiles had gone off course and hit Poland that would have put the US/NATO in the war.

I’m hopeful these whispers that a settlement may be found this week will come true. The longer this goes on, the higher the risk.

Exactly this, the risk of accidentally fire into Poland is far more risky, as Poland would likely respond and then Russia will retaliate and then we are all in it. Though I do think if we got to that point we might see Putin taken down by the Russian elite.

I fear Poland could be the loose canon in nato at the moment. Last week they surprised everyone by suggesting the transfer of planes to Ukraine. Today the president said if Putin used chemical weapons in Ukraine then it would cross a red line and nato would respond.

I don’t think nato have said anything of the sort but I think Poland is eager to fight against the Russian forces. Given they are right on the front line and bearing the brunt of all the refugees I can’t blame them.

The west is suggesting more sanctions this week. What sanctions? What more can they do? And let’s face it, sanctions won’t stop Putin. I was listening to a debate on bbc today and they were saying that Russia gets $1 billion per day from the west for its oil and gas, and that would be the only game changer for Putin, would be to stop buying it immediately.

Problem is as we all know, the west relied on Russia for its energy even when it knew it was an adversary. We are still doing exactly the same with China for all our goods.

I think this week will be a big one. It could be the week we see a settlement between Russia and Ukraine and the winding down of tensions, or the complete opposite given Putin is now getting desperate.

Well this is very concerning…. Just appeared in the bbc news live feed:

Russia is asking China for both military and economic assistance, according to reports in the Financial Times and New York Times newspapers.

Moscow wants Beijing to provide military supplies to use in Ukraine, the FT says.

Citing unnamed US officials, the FT reported that Russia had been requesting Chinese equipment since the start of the invasion. The officials declined to specify what kind of equipment Russia is seeking.

The report added that there were indications that China may be preparing to help.

A separate report in the New York Times - again citing US officials - alleges Russia is also asking for economic assistance to mitigate the impact of sanctions.

China has so far sought to portray itself as neutral in the Russia-Ukraine conflict and has not condemned the invasion.

On Monday US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan is expected to hold talks with a top Chinese foreign policy official, Yang Jiechi, in Rome.

Speaking to NBC on Sunday, Sullivan said the US would "ensure that China nor anyone else" can compensate Russia for its economic losses.”

Yes but as has been proven by China's response they want nothing to do with the war in Ukraine, they certainly aren't going to start supplying arms to the Russians.

Yes but as has been proven by China's response they want nothing to do with the war in Ukraine, they certainly aren't going to start supplying arms to the Russians.

They said their relationship with Russia is rock solid. They are broadcasting the Russian side of the news and hiding the truth just as they are doing in Moscow. They are both communist states.

So why wouldn’t China help out? As it said in the story there are indications china is preparing to help.

Question is what military equipment would Russia be asking for …..

Not widely reported but North Korea are also playing up, launching ballistic missiles all week.

They said their relationship with Russia is rock solid. They are broadcasting the Russian side of the news and hiding the truth just as they are doing in Moscow. They are both communist states.
The first bit is just a scare tactic, wolf warrior diplomacy if you will. They are broadcasting the Russian side on the news because it fits with there general anti-western domestic agenda. But they need the trade from the west for there economy to survive.
So why wouldn’t China help out? As it said in the story there are indications china is preparing to help.
Because they require the exports to the western countries to keep there economy alive. The also can't risk any sanctions, especially now they've seen the extent of the sanctions that Russia has been given.
Not widely reported but North Korea are also playing up, launching ballistic missiles all week.
They do this in a circle all the time. Launch some missile tests and scare the world trying to get attention then a US president talks to them and they chill out for a bit and partially agree to some demands and then they do it again. They are doing it now to try and get in the media.

Question is what military equipment would Russia be asking for …..

Russia isn’t a communist state, it used to be communist but it isn’t anymore. It’s more a Kleptocracy now.

Well, one thing is for certain - if Russia is asking for this help it’s in trouble. If China can refuse it could be the end to this war very soon and relations between China and the west could be improved.

Well, one thing is for certain - if Russia is asking for this help it’s in trouble. If China can refuse it could be the end to this war very soon and relations between China and the west could be improved.
I think China will continue to toe the line when it comes to this conflict and it's relations with both the west and Russia. Basically pretending to support both sides and neither side at the same time. This for them makes strategic sense in that they can continue trade with both without committing to anything foreign policy wise that ties them to one side or another.

The article says they have been asking since the beginning of the invasion, I genuinely think this is America sending a warning shot rather than anything new.