• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

Nice review thanks cupcakemonster,
Dont worry about disagreement, how you perceive a maze has so many variants, such as the time, the amount of actors, the group you go with. No two run throughs are ever the same, and people obviously find different things scary, funny etc.
Also yes Toyland Tours music is always welcome back, even in a spooky variation, if only we could get the ride back too!

What maze would you say is the least scary? I kind of want to try one but don't want to be scared out of my wits! :)

Circus, its more funny than anything else, the odd jump - nothing especially sinister either.

Hi i was wondering if any one has a spare scarefest map they can post me as im not going to be able to go

Have they got the green coloured letters projected onto the towers this year? What about the skeletons and lighting around Oblivion's drop?

Lol - I seem to be able to remember all the old Scarefest theming without having ever been to Scarefest once. :p

:)

No the coloured letters are gone (probably in part to Sanctuarys queue) and there are no skeletons or lighting around Oblivions drop.

I think the most telling point about the lack of park wide theming was a guest stopping our group in the park and asking where abouts Scarefest was. It just doesn't feel like a park wide event unfortunately. But the mazes really are great and I think having a preview weekend is great to give them tweak time.

Funny you say that, Ben. A colleague of mine was there Saturday and has just told me they 'didnt want to pay the extra for Scarefest'!

Out of the ruins, by Carnival, the farm and Towers St you'd be forgiven for thinking there wasn't actually an event on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

BowMan said:
I know the park says to be 14 but how old would you say you have to be to go through the mazes?

I first went on ToTT as a 12 year old, once you've been on it a few times you'll want to branch out more. I was once the wimpiest of wimps but now I freakin' love Scarefest. Also, is the Freaky Farm any different compared to last year e.g are the "Harry Potter" staff-proclaimed owls still there?

Coastermaster said:
Hi i was wondering if any one has a spare scarefest map they can post me as im not going to be able to go
I'll do it but you'll have to wait until next Sunday.

With the exception of 2010, the park has never really had a Scarefest presence beyond Towers Street. In 2010 lighting provided some atmosphere after dark, but in the day you would be as oblivious to Scarefest as with this year.

Whist I think it would be impossible to theme the whole park, AT could put a bit more effort in. It seems that a lot of effort goes into the mazes, which sound like they have had a lot of money spent on them! But AT need to cater for people turning up for the event - perhaps those who don't like mazes / don't want to pay and queue for them!

I'd say that this Scarefest is as good as others on balance. I think that more time should be dedicated to the creating Halloween 'hubs' on key paths with actors, themeing, photo-points, face painting, stalls etc etc. Maybe 4 across park, between themed areas. :)

Simple Solution: Bring back Duel Live!

If Merlin don't want to invest money into decorating the whole park (fair enough really given its size) then they should compensate by spreading out the scare attractions. Duel: Live worked in this respect because it made Gloomy Woods part of the event and caused a lot of guests to use The Haunted Hollow as an access route. Back when Scarefest first started they even treated the Hollow as an attraction in its own right which was good fun.

Then they only need to work on the park wide lighting and at least after dark the park will feel all included even if some areas are lacking during the day.

Yes they have a scare zone, but everything scarefest is that side of the park.

Bring back hex,duel and haunted hollow lives, just a few actors in each area. They have enough cameras and security, would just spread the event a little :)

I think bringing the rides into Scarefest is a good idea, but Duel live wasn't that good and the public didn't get it. Haunted Hollow is a wasted opportunity though. ???

With the exception of The Sancturary it sounds like this years Scarefest is a bit hap hazard. Thinking back to previous ones, best ones which stood out for me were:

ToTT - the year whhen the cannibals roamed the house (2007??) and as you went through the house you realised you were the dinner. Being cooked in the oven only to reach the finale of them all sat around the huge dining table eating, being counted down to leg it and running like hell out of the door in a panic being chased by the Master with a huge knife!!!

Field of 1000 Screams - definately the best year was with the Bus Scene at the end, walking around this field, feet and back killing, at 11pm in the dark was so atmospheric!! Getting into the bus, lights go out, smoke and strobes inside then you see someone crawling up the floor of the bus towards you, brilliant!

Duel Live (2nd year) - the first year wasnt that great but the second reincarnation of Duel Live was excellent, with about 6 or 7 actors inside who really made you jump as the car went around. Also gave you chance to once again soak up the atmosphere of the Haunted House as it should be.

Haunted Hollow - think it was around 2007 when there were 3 actors here. The grave digger, the coach / horse driver and the girl ghost. They added smoke and green lighting to the Hollow and it was excellent to walk through late at night.

Boiler Room - always one of my faves, think it was about 3 or 4 years ago when it was up by FoTS, the section with the inflated walls closing in on you, highly claustraphobic and actually considerably hard work to push your way through!

While I appreciate change is neccessary, sounds like for 2012 Alton are taking a step backwards rather than forwards, especially with regards the lighting when 2011/2010 were excellent with the atmosphere inside the park.

A few things after reading posts that I've remembered :) There was a sort of Hex live. Just before going into the vault there was a black thing in the middle of the wall I wondered what it was then it moved and ran towards some of the guests, it was quite funny actually, but would have liked to see more than just the one person. Also am I the only one who thinks that even if it isn't Duel:live they should open the full Duel queue, it would be a brilliant addition for scarefest, it has to be one of my favourite queue lines.

CupCakeMonster said:
Also am I the only one who thinks that even if it isn't Duel:live they should open the full Duel queue, it would be a brilliant addition for scarefest, it has to be one of my favourite queue lines.
The lights were up and on in this queue line, and last night (Sunday), a few workmen were seen up ladders in this section, so it may be in use during Scarefest!

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry may contain ...
overall I think the mazes are really well worked, firstly towersStreet is the best it's been during Scarefest with amazing actors from the sanctuary and the carnival of screams with others great entertainment.

The length of all mazes are certainly improved from the years gone by with none stop laughs and frights the sanctuary is very different from what towers have had the passed with it also being the highlight so far !!

So overall it's very enjoyable for the first weekend

Morgster said:
You get split up in The Sanctuary now?

Not all the time. It varies with each run through, mostly depends on the actors and whether they feel like they want to split you up. Plus it happens in TOTT too.

AstroDan said:
I am happy with the 3 mazes but agree that parkwide, it's worse than it has been for at least 5 years.

With the exception of roaming actors increasing and some little touches like the staff name badges I agree with you.

Dave said:
I don't dread your review Satch I agree with some points and strongly disagree with others.

- I agree with the park wide theming and lighting being terrible.
- I agree Carnival was the weakest, it wasn't as bad as you suggest but it wasn't amazing either and was better than last year
- Thorpe increase the ticket price for Frightnights, should Towers do that and penalise those who don't do mazes, I'm in favour of that idea but most seem not to be.
-TotT needs a refresh but its a great maze, again Thorpe have 2 mazes they haven't changed in 7 years. I think TotT should change because Towers has the better event but TotT won't feel tired to most guests.

Obviously this year isn't as good a park wide event but the mazes are great and the roaming actors are an improvement.

I only had one go through Carnival, and our group seemed to have a poor run through. You obviously managed to get several goes with the Freedom Pass, so you got to experience it at several performance levels. For me, only having the advantage of one go, it left me very unimpressed.

I would rather the ticket price increased overall, but that would have to be inline with the removal of the all-year round BOGOF and lower gate prices to something more reasonable anyway. However, I feel it would need something more than the mazes to justify increasing gate price.