• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

It is indeed. Lots of floodlights around the park. Going back a step rather than forwards.

Although given the budget cuts something for Scarefest had to give, and sadly it was the lighting. Shame considering coloured lighting is key to providing an atmosphere at night. If it were possible even some cheap gels on the floodlights would add SO much more.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAzUBkmhwT4&[/youtube]

Walkthrough of Zombies Scare Zone, by Towers Nerd. :)

I've never experienced a scare zone, but that looks a bit, er... naff. I'm sure when it's dark it will work to a better effect. Although as a daylight attraction it doesn't look worth it if I'm honest. Perhaps some actors with fake chainsaws at the end would really add a finale to it.

I did like the female former employee screaming zombie though (that was a mouthful :p ) - was that a Tussauds logo I saw? ;)

I think that definitely looks like one to walk through after dark. I can see how it'd be more effective if it was darker.

Jonathan said:
I've picked up from one or two members currently on park who have made posts on Twitter and Facebook that the lighting is, once again, way too bright. ???
It's way too bright. Nemesis needs more coloured lights, as there's minimal at the moment!

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pretty neat queueline video being shown in the Sanctuary.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqu2JKw4zJM&[/youtube]

Again, credit goes to Towers Nerd.

T said:
Jonathan said:
I've picked up from one or two members currently on park who have made posts on Twitter and Facebook that the lighting is, once again, way too bright. ???
It's way too bright. Nemesis needs more coloured lights, as there's minimal at the moment!
Half the lights which were coloured were switched off it seems!

Oh wells, thank god for preview weekend eh? ;)

It seems that some areas of the park, that in previous years have had fantastic lighting have been completely forgotten this year. Seriously, a generator flooding the TH13TEEN queue with bright wight light is in no way atmospheric. Although, it is only the preview weekend, and I'm hoping they install some proper lighting in the queue by next weekend. The generator isn't even located in an inconspicuous place, it's right in front of the van.

On a positive note, Towers Street looked fantastic as always, with plenty of coloured lighting, and various bits of halloween theming to make the street look amazing. The audio, i noticed was at some points in the day playing the old, original towers street mix, which was amazing to hear.

One thing that took my attention, was that around half 6, it seemed there must have been some kind of power fault somewhere around Haunted Hollow, as the audio and theming throughout the path had no power going to them (no feature lights or audio tracks), the path between the Towers and Mutiny Bay must also have been affected as the old style street lamps along side that path were on, but then went of, and then a while later come back on again. Also, while on the subject of electricity the huge, ugly floodlights that were on in every area seemed to fluctuate and flicker every now and again, not sure if anyone else noticed this, my group did.

Half the lights which were coloured were switched off it seems!

Oh wells, thank god for preview weekend eh?

Here's to hoping that we see more colour in the coming weeks. :D

Trying to have faith in the Towers to realise that white light does not mean it's the right light. :-\

Lighting has been almost entirely ignored this year and is the worst since 2007.

Mazes are all good, and therefore the best yet.

It's another mixed bag of pro's and con's for Scarefest!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

James said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAzUBkmhwT4&[/youtube]

Walkthrough of Zombies Scare Zone, by Towers Nerd. :)

I've never experienced a scare zone, but that looks a bit, er... naff. I'm sure when it's dark it will work to a better effect. Although as a daylight attraction it doesn't look worth it if I'm honest. Perhaps some actors with fake chainsaws at the end would really add a finale to it.

I did like the female former employee screaming zombie though (that was a mouthful :p ) - was that a Tussauds logo I saw? ;)

It is naff! We went through after dark and after the "watershed" and it was completely pointless! Like Ben said, just the 5 actors I saw stood round gently murmuring and not doing much else!

I haven't been on Park this weekend, but I too thought that the Zombies Scare Zone looked...well...crap. It doesn't look apocayptic, it looks like the staff area it is...with tired staff. A step back from last year! And also, wouldn't it have been waybetter if the entrance was at the other end?

(Sorry if theres any spelling mistakes, sent from my phone)

So, the event would improve if the lights changed?
I hope Merlin listen to us! :p

Is it possible though that the coloured lights weren't ready in time for the preview weekend, but will be in place for the full event in a week or so?

I don't think they'll be adding many coloured lights, if any at all, tbh. Some sticky-backed coloured vinyl or acetate sheets cost next to nothing and can be ordered in a shape which fits lights. Such a shame. :(

Id hope the point of a preview weekend is that alton / merlin taje on feedback and make adjustments, but i very much doubt the lighting or atmosphere will change.

Heard that the valley is only half finished, hopefully it'll have relatively decent lighting next week, generator-killing permitting!

Overall it sounds reasonably good this year. ToTT being the same doesn't bother me as it's a good Maze, and I'm willing to bet most people have never been on it before so it's only us regular visitors that are starting to find it stale. The two paid mazes sound a big step up from last year. Although my real question is how popular are they compared to last year? (Obviously this might be hard to judge from this weekend alone)

General park atmosphere... well I kind of expected as much. It's mental they don't put more effort into lighting as Alton is already such an impressive backdrop a few atmospheric colours is all they need. 2010 was a step in the right direction, now they just seem to be walking backwards.

The one thing that's confusing me is the reaction to the new Zombies. From the video I think it looks longer than before and nothing seems to be missing from last year so I'm not sure why it's considered so much worse. Could it be that there were higher expectations (what with the mazes improving) or more likely that the actors just hadn’t got into their groove yet?

BowMan said:
I know the park says to be 14 but how old would you say you have to be to go through the mazes?
It depends on how easily you get scared

I'd say around 11/12, but again, some people get scared more easily than others.

BowMan said:
One more question. Can you buy tickets for just one of the mazes rather than both?

Yes you can buy individual tickets for a maze of your choice if you don't want to do the two, or maybe you want to do just one other on it's own after already doing both, as i did. I bought the combined ticket for both carnival and the sanctuary yesterday at £9 online, after we done both of them by about 1:15 we wanted to do The Sanctuary again as it was soooo good :) We went to the box office and bought 1 individual ticket for £5.60, that was with my 20% annual pass discount, not cheap but worth every single penny. Bare in mind though, the maze tickets are at there cheapest before and up to 3pm, after that they shoot up, so be aware guys.