• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

TheMan said:
I reckon so James, can't imagine that being kept quiet!!

Saying that, it is the first day proper of Scarefest, more largely publicised due to the new ride and it's association.

12 sounds right, that's the standard walk through - so it's clearly one group only.

One thing is certain, if I was on resort, I would be waiting for to buy that ticket! It is a good maze, you could just tell it was new with too many gaps between action, but some very clever pieces of theming!

Adding that extra dimension could make it way better, the "patients" certainly interacted with our group, that was led by a new friend I met on park (whilst waiting for other people to join a queue at Carnival, I did NOT want to do it first time, with literally no one else haha!), and followed by her group lol, a very pretty lass whom had nerves of steel!!

"Oooooh, preeeeetty smiiiiiiiiiiile" - right in her face, all she did was chuckle - oh and she answered back a lot, which tested the actors, was glad to see they weren't fazed and it led to some entertaining stand offs! Each time, she was straight to the front of the line! ;D

If somehow they read this post, thanks again! (Off topic a bit, sorry!)

One of those times you think, damn, I should of kept in touch with that group as we had a great laugh!

I'm gutted I can't make it to Scarefest this year. It sounds very good!

She sounds awesome. My type of woman! Haha. It's great when you have groups like that. I had a similar experience in 2010 going through TOTT. The group we were in was great, a friendly bunch of people and it was a very fun (and scary) walkthrough. I love the moments of being in a great group going through a maze, it makes the experience very enjoyable.

Anyway, we're starting to go down memory lane here so better get back onto this years event! :p

Has the lighting been improved yet?

Judging by some pictures, the area outside of Canival looked good!

Only decent lighting I saw yesterday was on the walk from Mutiny Bay to the bridge across to Raids, then some from along the path from the Mine Train to Duel and then Nemesis had a bit of red lightning but it wasn't anything special.

I'll also say here that I didn't find any of the three mazes scary and quite a few of us didn't jump at all.

Terror of the Towers was probably my favourite maze as it was much more atmospheric and (although it took a while) once the actors showed their faces, they were really good and there was a lot of them too. The end with the strobes and tall fences with and lots of weird bald men walking around was hilarious and it's worth going into the maze just for that!

The Sanctuary had some fantastic theming which slowly trickled away and the finale was a bit of a let-down as there was only one guy in the maze (which resembled the Saw queue line) being scary. Also, the marmiteisation bit smelled of gone-off milk and I couldn't feel the leg ticklers (though that may have been my duster coat getting in the way :p ). The effects were great and some will have enjoyed the maze purely for the fact that there was a fireball in there. :p

Carnival of Screams wasn't as bad as people had been making it out to have been. The entrance into the maze was playing the Toyland Tours theme with a little scary carnival twist which was brilliant! Walking through the first section was a little dull and it took a while to get going. I enjoyed trying to squeeze my costume safely through the inflatable walls and the clowns at the end were cool. The middle section was a bit dull and it reminded me of Hocus Pocus Hall at Chessington, only really bad.

Highlights of yesterday were the fuss over of whether to go to Pizza/Pasta or Woodcutters, the special three rounds on the Mine Train (I could have sworn that the people sat around me were about to fall out in the tunnel :p ) and nigh time riding on Nemesis. Oh, and blocking people about four times throughout the day and spotting a 500 odd minute wait for Squirrel Nutty. :D

Bad points were the lights and large-ish queues.

All the staff were great and really do make a difference to your visit. A few members of staff asked me about my costume and gave me a high-five which was pretty funny too! :p

I enjoyed my first meet and I'm glad I opted to jump in at the deep end and go on a Scarefest meet with nearly 50 other peeps from TST. I'm sorry that I was a little shy and embarrassed around everyone but I did't really know anyone. I'll thanks Danny, Sam, Rowe, DanB and Astro for being nice to me and helping me feel more comfortable in such an insane large group of people! :p

I'll also thank and apologise to whoever stood behind me in Terror of the Towers and held my duster coat up so that it wasn't dangerous in anyway. :p I bet you were glad to be stood behind me with the possibility of being tripped over in a pitch-black scare maze? :-[

The only changes I noticed to lighting were some gels on the floods by CoS (Though they could have been there before, the projected SW7 smile onto the corner of the Towers, and the hanging lights starting to appear on the Towers again, though I don't think those are finished yet as only a small part is covered.

Someone looks like they've tried to gel a couple more lights around Nemesis, though some had fallen off. So all in all nothing major seems to have changed since last weekend as far as I can tell.

Ian said:
Someone looks like they've tried to gel a couple more lights around Nemesis, though some had fallen off. So all in all nothing major seems to have changed since last weekend as far as I can tell.

Such a shame. Nemesis should be bathed in a red light, not bright white! But, then again, just take a look at Nemesis at the moment....

Why aren't the simple things being done this year?! Someone? Anyone?!

Nemesis did have red lights on it last night but the effect wasn't great as it was all too dull and the queue was very dark. I couldn't see the steps for the lack of light and my costume. :p

BigAl said:
Nemesis did have red lights on it last night but the effect wasn't great as it was all too dull and the queue was very dark. I couldn't see the steps for the lack of light and my costume. :p
It needs to be vivid, not dull! The lift hill lights are good, but what about the rest of the track?!

Also, you touch on a valid point - the queueline is just too dark to be safe! I almost fell down the steps, and then back up them later!

The flood lights are off in Her Ladyships Gardens, meaning the beautiful coloured lights bathe the TotT and Sanctuary queue in purple and green - much better!

Towers Street lighting is *so* feint! Shocking considering they've seemingly got permanent lighting in the eves of the buildings :-/.

The swirly face on the Towers was broken yesterday, so I only saw it on Saturday evening :(.

I'll also thank and apologise to whoever stood behind me in Terror of the Towers and held my duster coat up so that it wasn't dangerous in anyway. :p I bet you were glad to be stood behind me with the possibility of being tripped over in a pitch-black scare maze? :-[
That was me! Didn't want you dying on your first meet - wouldn't look good for future new meet attendees ;).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

There's conflicting information on the closing time: on the booking page for November 1st tickets it says the park is open until 7... strange. Hoping Towers will clarify this one way or the other :)

...and the opening times page says 6pm, so there's 3 different closing times advertised on various parts of the AT website.

I would trust the latest time on the new updated section of the Scarefest site - Ride Close at 6:30, last maze admission at 6! :)

I think this an awesome little touch, especially with the free maze tickets being given away, and their decision to honour freedom passes still. The earlier ride close is also more than justified given that all the work that'll need to be done towards the following night's fireworks!

For me, Carnival was much better this weekend. The finale is still non existent, but I did three run throughs on Sunday and all three were brilliant, especially the first two! It was actually my favourite maze this weekend; lots of scares as well as being good fun and different.

:)

Sazzle said:
That was me! Didn't want you dying on your first meet - wouldn't look good for future new meet attendees ;).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Hahaha! Well thank you again for not only saving my costume, but also for saving me from tripping into those ahead of me and causing a domino effect! Would have been my first and last meet if anything like that had have happened! :-[

:p

I think it's a nice idea that they have extended Scarefest for another day :) And free maze tickets is very generous for that day, especially if they are also accepting Freedom Passes as well! Now contemplating on visiting Towers on 31st Oct and 1st Nov.

Rob said:
For me, Carnival was much better this weekend. The finale is still non existent, but I did three run throughs on Sunday and all three were brilliant, especially the first two! It was actually my favourite maze this weekend; lots of scares as well as being good fun and different.

:)

Agree with you there Rob! Carnival was indeed much better this weekend. However I'm afraid for me the Sanctuary is still my favourite maze and the best maze imo. :)

Carnival was always the weakest of the three mazes for me, it just doesn't have the impact of TotT and Sanctuary for me. Better than 2011 but worse than 2010.