• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2013: Discussion

GaryH said:
The one thing with the start stop maze, at least you got to learn the story. The whole servants, master, cannibals thing was excellent, I had no idea going in, by the time i was half way around I started to realise I was the dinner lol!!!

Which was lovely..... It just wasn't scary.

It was a brilliant maze, especially the end.... the master rubbing a knife against your cheek telling you that you have 10 seconds to escape, counting to 10, getting to about 2 them BANG, air cannon and all hell broke lose lol! Was as fun as the bus ending where 10 people attempted to squeeze out of the tiny emergency exit door all at the same time lol

But this is where it gets tricky as I never thought it was a great maze, with scare mazes a lot of this is down to preference.

The bus finale on Field was great but it was attached to 8 minutes of boredom before it.

Funny cos I loved the field of screams mazes, i think being the middle of a corn field outside the theme park at nearly midnight helped mind you!

GaryH said:
Funny cos I loved the field of screams mazes, i think being the middle of a corn field outside the theme park at nearly midnight helped mind you!

Ohh it's completely personal.

If I was in charge on funding I would have 5 scare mazes with each having a theme that lasted 5 years (each year each maze would change within but the theme and set would be the same, with a full replacement in year 6). One of those mazes would be fully story driven with the other 4 being similar to the way it's done now as I genuinely believe the current format meets the demands of more people. But with 5 mazes you could give one up to the story format.

Dave said:
GaryH said:

Ohh it's completely personal.

If I was in charge on funding I would have 5 scare mazes with each having a theme that lasted 5 years (each year each maze would change within but the theme and set would be the same, with a full replacement in year 6). One of those mazes would be fully story driven with the other 4 being similar to the way it's done now as I genuinely believe the current format meets the demands of more people. But with 5 mazes you could give one up to the story format.
I do see it as if you spend money you make money.

So I really do agree 5 mazes would be brilliant spread around the park and maybe a late night extreme maze around by the hotel (with a bar next to the maze to be able watch people live)

That's a great idea josh!

People would for sure hang about wouldn't they, and spend money!

Would love an extreme maze by the hotels, or even in the garden, would attract a whole new audience. If they put it in the park people would have to pay to get in too (being the money driven machine m£rlin are.)

Joining in the question of have the mazes been getting better or worse.

The year that Carnival and Boiler house were in the Black Hole tent (2011) was the worst year for the mazes, I found. They both seemed excessively short and we were pushed through them at quite a high speed.

On the whole, I personally don't think that park atmosphere, though, hasn't really changed that much. 2010, though was a good year for lighting in certain areas. BUT even saying that, 2010 was also plagued by arc lights as well, just certain areas were nicely lit. I remember saying to some friends that I just wished that they would do this throughout the whole of the park. Some of those areas nicely lit up are below taken on the 16th October 2010. Also, during the 2nd week of scarefest at this year they had more temporary arc lights added to the area around Nemesis and the red light became washed out and not as vivid, I hear that this was due to complaints from thick people about not being able to see where you were walking. Sorry for the extremely poor quality of these pics, they were old iPhone 3G pics but they give you an overview for all you who didn't attend that year.

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

hound1.jpg

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

Just looking at those photos, I can feel the atmosphere.

Please Towers, do the right thing and get some bloody decent lighting!

See that's what the park should look like and keep expanding every year

stretchy said:
Also, during the 2nd week of scarefest at this year they had more temporary arc lights added to the area around Nemesis and the red light became washed out and not as vivid, I hear that this was due to complaints from thick people about not being able to see where you were walking.
Not in 2010 - it was purely because the lighting gels were falling off from the wind and rain, and noone was in charge looking after them, creating some white areas.

Shows you what was done with a lovely set budget and an external company doing it all!

Damn, you beat me to it, Lottie! :p

Yet another U-turn. Whilst I'm glad they've done this, I'm rather annoyed that this is yet another cut they've planned to make and then abandoned. I'd much rather they didn't even bother making the cuts in the first place!

No doubt they've had severe problems attracting hotel bookings and coach trips for that week and marketing the event in general with a 7pm close.

I'm delighted they've realised and rectified their mistake (IE stupidity) but how many more of these embarrassing counterproductive decisions and inevitable u-turns are we going to see?

See what a good bit of moaning does? It's what makes being British great. Whine a bit, and you'll get you want.

In all seriousness. It's great that they've changed their minds, it's all for the best!

Now, just for them to sort out the lighting!

A good decision to revert back, I'm sure we'll all agree.

You just have to wonder why they bother with these daft cuts in the first place as they seem to be forced to u-turn each and every time.

Haha. One in the eye for everyone who suspected that moaning won't work. ;D

(I'm still not going)

(I doubt)

(I'll think about it)

:) :)