• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2013: Discussion

James said:
Can you only collect scare maze tickets from The Box Office? Or are there other places around the park you can collect pre-booked maze tickets?

You can pick up pre-booked maze tickets from any of the sales and info booths. :)

Just had 3 groups join into one on ToTT. They really need to sort the batching out

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

7ygudumy.jpg

The maze access has reopened after a load bang was heard

Yeah multiple loud bangs heard coming from Dark Forest. No idea what it is, but we have been told it was nothing major and the area as reopened.

I'm sorry to inform you that both Rita and the scaffolding is still there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

So here are some of my thoughts and feeling about Scarefest so far this season. I will pretty much ignore the whole of last weekend as almost everything was utter crap due to the powercut/rail and various other issues. However I have since spent all of Friday there and yesterday afternoon and evening on park.

The Sanctuary:
For me this maze has become a little boring, it might be because I overdid it last season and at the start of this season. But its the same old maze every time you go through it, the actors say the same things, they jump out in the same places, etc. The finale is also still weak, often with one or two actors, there just isn't the scares compared to the TOTT finale.

Terror Of The Towers:
On the staff preview this maze was quite good, however all weekend it was running poor. It has now returned back to a similar level to last year and the staff preview. However overall it is just very tired and needs replacing. Everytime I do it I know where the actors will appear from and where to go, as I have just done it far too many times. The banqueting hall is nice this year, but the actors don't always use it to its full potential. The same can also be said for the corridor afterwards.

Also the BIG problem with TOTT this year is the batching! I did it four times on Friday and once yesterday, on all five times we either caught up with the group in front, the group behind caught up with us or both! On Friday night at one point there was four groups (40 odd people!) that had joined together before the strobe maze. This lead to no scares and a very boring few rooms.

For this to happen so often, either the video has been speeded up this year, the gap in between videos is shorter, or the staff are just far too eager. On Friday the maze was walk on all day, yet they were still batching you straight away, as you walked into the video room, the group before you were still just leaving. I really hope towers sort this out, for a paid maze it is poor, and for it to happen on all my visits on different days throughout the day, shows it isn't just one staff member or anything.

Carnival:
Firstly i'm rather glad they have moved the fastrack entrance, it was a utter joke last weekend!

This is by far my favorite maze this year by far. Everything seems to work so well compared to other years, and it finally has a finale that works! All the actors are on top form and really know where to scare from, also the various tricks work well this year, such as the Voltex, Spot rooms, Trommel, etc, Despite doing the maze at least 6 times in the last few days, there are still new things I notice (like the man in the mirror, in the mirror maze) or new places where the actors seem to appear from. There are just no end of places they can scare you from. However quite a few of the batching staff leave a lot to be desired. Even a week in to the event, many can't remember the brief they are giving.

Finally the finale is great, but it only works with smaller groups, we had 15 yesterday and it just doesn't work, as if you are at the back you can't see a thing, and the people at the front are just too close. Other than that I think its fantastic. And does get people running and screaming out of the exit.

After visting the park today, I can honestly say how disapointed I was with Terror of the towers. Hardley any communication in the pre video section, with no one telling you to go on and ended watching the film twice. Plus chavs, messing around at the front, which didn't help. Only a small amount of actors, that were not that scary and no atmosphere in the maze what so ever.

This attraction used to be amazing once apon a time. :(

I really think in the video in TOTT there needs to be scare actors at the back who get you to move on. When I've done it in the past the group has often stood there not quite knowing if we're meant to move on.

James said:
I really think in the video in TOTT there needs to be scare actors at the back who get you to move on. When I've done it in the past the group has often stood there not quite knowing if we're meant to move on.

I do think that this is a good idea as I always forget that there are no actors in that part and I always feel on edge!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It's hit and miss, some members of staff say "Because your at the front when the video ends go towards that curtain, you will see it open up"

Where as some don't.

But in all fairness if you see a curtain opening and a light shining onto it you kind of assume you are supposed to go that way and not just stand there.

It's the hex issue. Sometimes you're stuck in the Octagon room for ages as the curtains opened, the lights have turned on, but the braindead ones at the front haven't moved up.

Carnival of Screams was closed most of today. Then it reopened this afternoon... only to close again! Apparently they have got some power problems. I avoided it all day, hearing from people walking around the park there's a lot of unimpressed guests!

I didn't stay too long on park today although generally you get the Halloween feel in Towers Street, then it stops. The atmosphere in Fountain Square is fantastic and I caught a glimpse of the Trick and Trick show which I must say is very good. It looked cheesy on videos I've seen but in person you'd swear you're watching something completely different! Good effort by those involved.

Pizza Pasta was playing Halloween songs, the pizzas had all Halloween-type names and there was some light decoration in there. I would say that's the only other part of the park you feel like "yep, it's Scarefest".

Lighting isn't too bad this year. No where near as good as 2010. But still, not horrific. Some more gels on lights would be nice though.

I'll probably add some more thoughts in a few days as I'm on park again tomorrow with a full day and night there.

In terms of lighting, I was watching the Q&A Pete did with TT on YouTube earlier and he said that in 2010 when the lighting was at its best around £25,000 was spent. They do not have the budget for that now unless they cut a maze for example. It would apparently cost around £8000 to go around the park and change all the halogen bulbs to coloured ones. However even if they did this there could be potential H&S issues due to the required amount of light needed for safety cameras on rides etc. So yeah, by the sounds of it we are just going to have to be patient with lighting, I think it will get better year on year.

:)

where did you find the Q&A with Pete, is there a chance you can link to it please.

Rob said:
In terms of lighting, I was watching the Q&A Pete did with TT on YouTube earlier and he said that in 2010 when the lighting was at its best around £25,000 was spent. They do not have the budget for that now unless they cut a maze for example.

I'm sure this will prompt the usual, and ultimately true "Oh, it's a business though" responses, but the fact that a park the size and standing of Alton have this little budget to work with for their premier, most profitable event shows what frustrating, dreadful paymasters Merlin are.

I think your forgetting the current economic climate though - gate numbers will be down, people are not spending as much, hotel bookings are probably down, in 2010 people were spending more money in the park.

Every business the past 2 years or so have had to cut back and Alton is no different. Regardless what we think, every business at the moment has to be careful and sensible with its spending. I would rather see alton spend less on lighting for 2-3 years than see it close down or have to cut back on even more things, such as opening less during the year (like Oakwood, closed some days), or even not running Scarefest.

GaryH said:
I think your forgetting the current economic climate though - gate numbers will be down, people are not spending as much, hotel bookings are probably down, in 2010 people were spending more money in the park.

Every business the past 2 years or so have had to cut back and Alton is no different. Regardless what we think, every business at the moment has to be careful and sensible with its spending. I would rather see alton spend less on lighting for 2-3 years than see it close down or have to cut back on even more things, such as opening less during the year (like Oakwood, closed some days), or even not running Scarefest.

Who stole Gary? Can we have him back please? Whoever wrote that above is clearly an imposter.

Rob said:
It would apparently cost around £8000 to go around the park and change all the halogen bulbs to coloured ones. However even if they did this there could be potential H&S issues due to the required amount of light needed for safety cameras on rides etc.
It'd never cause any H&S issues, it doesn't lower lighting levels too far at all. You can tell that from Dark Forest/X Sector/Outside Carnival what it really does.

It'd be money well spent if they did change them but can understand why it hasn't been done yet.

I think we'll always have issues though due to the strict rules on how much permanent lighting the park is allowed... Of course it isn't an excuse to cop out with attempting good lighting but it probably does have a significant impact.

Equally, I'll be interested to see what this seasons gate figure is estimated at considering it's fallen the last two years. If it doesn't see a significant rise then Merlin will pull tighter on the purse strings no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.