• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2013: Discussion

ScareTOUR just posted this on Facebook:

Saturday Secrets! Seeing as we started earlier with the mysterious "Mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall" what other secrets are out there?

Where in the UK will we see a massive new event?

Which event is about to unleash a massive investment never seen before?

Which UK attraction is about to make a very unexpected announcement?

Which theme park has a big surprise waiting for all of us?

Shhh! We can't tell It's a secret! But as soon as are allowed to share we will! (oh yes and the picture may be a small clue to one of them)

After some discussion with Longy and MattH, we ascertained that the image has a striking resemblance to the post for the 2007 horror film, Dead Silence. This hasn't been confirmed as Alton Towers but as speculation, they haven't confirmed a third maze for this year and it would get some more use from the "living doll" mask. Would a maze in the UK using an IP be a first?

Here's the other image which Matt found:

999079_10151554883243657_100415628_n.jpg

It's the eyes which seem to stand out as something which Towers would do as a subtle hint to it being them (they look similar to The Smiler's promotional material).

If it is Towers I don't know how I would feel.. The issue I have with IP Scare mazes is that you kind of need to of seen the film to get all of it. I felt the same watching videos of the MAMA Fearroom. Imagine squeezing a 1h 30m film into a 5 minute scare maze. There are parts that will be missed / skipped over and some important details may be lost in translation if you have not seen the film.

Also I feel that a 2007 film is a little outdated? It's like KeyofAwesome creating a parody based on Gangnam Style and releasing it tomorrow. It's reception will not be as well recieved as using a up to date song.

Also I feel originality is 100% better when it comes to scare rooms as you go in not knowing the story and come out knowing it (if executed properly anyway.) and everyone entering on their first time knows exactly the same, nothing.

Naturally this may not be towers and I depending on where this is I will try it but I feel originality flows better.

Re: First scare maze IP. Have we not seen a permanent, hardly used building on an island in the area of Staines? I am sure I SAW it.

I find it unlikely to be Alton. Having said that, I feel that with the latest survey they to be considering the future form of Scarefest with a view to axing (unlikely), trimming or extending it.

Considering we already know 2 mazes confirmed and Altons general lack of investment towards scarefest I would doubt any rumours are linked to Towers.

I would be greatly pleased and surprised and willing to retract my general Scarefest cynicism if they manage to pull of a more interesting event.

Someone at Alton Towers must really like Dead Silence because they've already been using the theme music from it at Halloween and during the 2010 fireworks display. The music is good but surely there are better movies to take inspiration from?

There are so many unique ideas that would only work at Alton Towers (developing ideas from local myths and stories) and not tapping into is pure madness, imo.

That article says that it will be a new and unexpected event at a UK attraction so I somewhat doubt it is Alton Towers related unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Scott said:
That article says that it will be a new and unexpected event at a UK attraction so I somewhat doubt it is Alton Towers related unfortunately.

But it does say about a theme park having a big surprise for us all so you never know! ;)

Andrew said:
Scott said:

But it does say about a theme park having a big surprise for us all so you never know! ;)

Didnt I see something about Chessington doing extra this year?

Wouldn't expect this to be a towers maze, could be Thorpe, but more likely one of the independent events.

Didn't Thorpe say something at the start of the season that they had big plans for Frightnights this year? Ohh yes, this is the press release I was thinking of

http://www.thorpepark.com/press/releases/2013/18-03-2013-THORPE-PARK-Fright-Nights-are-BACK-for-Halloween-in-2013.doc

I think the first paragraph says it all -
Everything you thought you knew about THORPE PARK Fright Nights – forget it! A new age of live action horror is set to be unleashed upon the nation’s Thrill Capital (11-13 & 18-20 October and 25 October-2 November). Beware of what will be lurking in the shadows at the UK’s most chilling Halloween event as it’s been reinvented by some of the most disturbed minds in horror.

After the mess of last years frightnights they needed to do something drastic.

Disgraceful news that some Scarefest days have had their opening hours cut! I hope that this is revrsed as we want longer hours but the park is shortening them when they have the chance for the longer hours we want!

Two hours knocked off five of the days is not good at all. Gutted about this, tbh. They hardly ever open late and now some of the few days that they are open longer are being shortened by quite a bit. :/

I think this answers our questions about how good scarefest will be this year in terms of mazes, lighting and atmosphere..... CRAP!

Why on earth have they done this?

QNIrSfW.png

I think they'll reverse their decision as many people will be unhappy about this! I can only go during the week were it is 7pm close and I'm not happy about that. I don't want to go on a weekend when it closes at 9pm when it's really busy! And I'm in school for the week of 9pm closures too...

Sort this out!