• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2014

This just in from TowersStreet sources (AKA Alton Towers' Facebook):

Rumours going around that an announcement will be made today.

(It's a very poorly made video though :p)

Yes exactly what I said but it's a little something until we get official information.

Will be intrigued to see people's reactions as a lot of people seem to be expecting something very big!

I'm intrigued about this:

Will you make it to THE END of the Scary Tales book, where stories are re-written to make nightmares come true, and the only character missing…is you

A new maze maybe?

That actually does sound like a great maze concept. Only problem is that a new maze is almost certainly not happening (unless there have been very last minute dramtatic changes).

:)

Sadly if it is a new maze it will most likely be something very toned down. Not something on the scale of Carnival for example.

I imagine a lot of it will just be recycled scenes and sets from Carnival, if there is a new maze and carnival is what's going!

It makes sense in a way, as it sounds like it has a strong connection with The Enchanted Village, or shares a similar theme in a way. Further promotion for the new Lodges next year like they did with The Sanctuary maybe?

I wouldn't be surprised if the delayed announcement of Scarefest attractions (compared to other years) is due to some last minute budget cuts which means they have had to scale down plans, perhaps the park isn't meeting budget/profit targets this year?

Come to think of it have Thorpe or Chessington released their line ups yet? Maybe all parks are affected :-(

^ Thorpe's line up is all over the Fight Nights posters, same as last year excluding You're Next and The Asylum. They have confirmed a new maze to replace Asylum.

Whilst Chessington haven't officially confirmed their line up, it has been written on the job overview leaflet for the event. Again, same as last year, but with a new stage show.

Obviously no word on whether both parks have had cuts in other areas such as lighting or roaming actors.

So it appears that we have TOTT and The Sanctuary as scare mazes, and Zombies and The End as scare zones. Yay for the event continuing the get smaller rather than grow! Can't really get excited for a new scare zone unless it is a vast improvement on previous efforts.

Worth mentioning that both scare zones are free with theme park entry. TOTT and The Sanctuary are paid-for mazes, not included in the theme park ticket. No free maze for the first time! The Freedom Pass will not be back this year (baffling considering it was reportedly popular last year). Family offerings the same and still in Fountain Square.

All as I expected pretty much. The lack of a third maze though will put a lot of pressure on the two current mazes, and with no changes looking to happen with TOTT or Sanctuary, it's fair to say this event is getting staler by the minute.

But ah well, people will still visit the park and pay anyway, and in 2015 the budget will no doubt be lowered again.

Absolutely pathetic. If they want more visitors then you invest more money. Sadly, the guys at Merlin don't seem to grasp this idea and instead take it away.

Don't think I'll be visiting this year.

Freedom Passes caused too much hassle for them than it was worth. Too many people were just abusing them. I wouldn't have got one this year anyway, and with this pathetic line up I do not plan to spend much money on the mazes at all.

Expect a full rant from me later on this evening!

So they've removed Carnival and replaced it with... a scare zone. A poorly named scare zone at that. I mean why?

COS had a nice idea to it, and in my opinion wasn't exactly in need of a replacement. Maybe it would have just been better to regenerate Terror of the Towers rather than remove a popular attraction and let another feel even more over used.