• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2014

The atmosphere is always great at Scarefest. A personal highlight for me too. But at the core of it Scarefest is, and always has been about the Halloween themed attractions, including the mazes.

Take any of that away and you just end up with a normal theme park day, just closing later.

Well Dr.Kelman (or the actor who played him :p) left Alton Towers last year, so I imagine they will get a new Doctor, will be interesting how they change the story, if they bother at all!

I have just looked on the Alton website and there is still nothing, in the past they have always had a scarefest page, even if it just says coming soon. At the moment there is one mention on the events section, but the link takes you to buy tickets and that's it.

Looking at the TowersStreet news archive, details of Scarefest have always been released in August.
- 2013 - 2nd August (http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/changes-to-scarefest-pricing/).
- 2012 - 2nd August (http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2012/scarefest-line-up-confirmed/).
- 2011 - 15th August (http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2011/08/15/scarefest-line-up-announced/)

Apparently Scarefest info will be released on Monday.

They are pretty late announcing anything this year... just late getting all the info/marketing pieces together? Or have they ran into some last minute problems? Hopefully won't be too long now until we find out what's happening this year.

The Scarefest plans will leave everyone sour and unhappy.

Budget cuts all round.

Merlin Entertainments <3

I think if this is true, and I know you don't know anyone or anything Astro so it's probably not true ;), then I would hope perhaps we could all contribute to making a big noise about it and seeing if we can somehow effect a change.

There is absolutely not way there should be budget cuts unless for some reason I misunderstood what a profit is at their last report?

Open letter to Mr V anyone?

I'm being serious by the way, a considered well worded social media blitz

I always admire your intentions, TheMan, and I know we can all cite the Oblivion/Fanta fiasco, but it simply won't work. Alton Towers are a business, and they offer the service they see fit. The only way is to vote with(out) your feet.

This is how things work in most sectors. If things are met on/under budget the one year, it's more likely the following year the budget will be cut as they know the managers are capable of creating a product within budget.

Not defending Merlin by any means. But this isn't at all unusual. Just disappointing. Sadly I can see the budget cuts show through when we get the big reveal of this years offerings.

I always admire your intentions, TheMan, and I know we can all cite the Oblivion/Fanta fiasco, but it simply won't work. Alton Towers are a business, and they offer the service they see fit. The only way is to vote with(out) your feet.

Thanks I just wanted to add, it was more in support of Towers. I think we all know the team there would like to put on an event of high caliber, and given what they do with the budget they have I really think they deserve huge credit. Now I don't know anyone, neither do I have the budget figures etc, but it seems rather obvious.

They have right now to my mind an exemplary creative team, Merlin need to stop wasting talent of this caliber and back them properly to deliver a spectacular event, not reward their hard work with more sodding budget cuts!!

I really am after Varney's job :D (or LOADS'A'MANEEEEEY for those of us who remember him)

money-graphics-2002_842187a.jpg

Since its deadline day. Can one of us sit outside the gates at Alton Towers and we can come to you via a live feed every ten mins, so you can say no news yet and interview every staff member off staff that drives out.

Ian Crabbe is set to be interviewed through his car window, stating that they're working on a few bits and bobs for Scarefest but it's difficult to get things done today! :p

I'd imagine Towers are somewhat dreading the annoucement today, I expect them to announce it shortly before 5pm when they all plan to leave their offices!

:)

Has Harry been interviewed through his car window about the latest clowns he plans to sign? :p

Ian

So far we've had a video on Facebook that shows the transition from day to night over the Towers in the dullest way imaginable. Nevermind a depressed entertainments department over the budget slashes, I'd be more depressed as someone in marketing looking at that video...

Last minute finalising? Or actually organising the entire event today...