• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2014

I kinda hope these paid-for experiences flop (aside from Sanctuary/TOTT). These 'paying to be entertainted' ideas seem a bit of a joke considering how expensive Towers is already.

Wouldn't surprise me if scare zones will be charged for in 2015.

It's about £10 too expensive but I don't mind this one being paid as it comes with a 2 course meal and involves 2 hours of scares... Those sort of things I think it's valid to charge for.

They need a free maze though!

Yeah they really need a free maze.

I don't really like the idea of these paid-for experiences when we see the park with one less maze and pretty much the same attractions with no changes. Gives off the impression more effort is being put into experiences people have to pay a premium for.

It sounds like a pretty decent experience anyway.

I really like the idea of it being in the Swiss Cottage! I'm glad they've finally found a use for it, although sadly it's become the product of a desperate/tacked on scheme.

Part of me can really see them having tried with Scarefest this year with all the new ideas and I think we've been very poor at being able to give credit where it's due. The ideas have just fallen short due to lack of budget and the ridiculous price tags that they come associated with.

I really like the idea of it being in the Swiss Cottage! I'm glad they've finally found a use for it, although sadly it's become the product of a desperate/tacked on scheme.

Part of me can really see them having tried with Scarefest this year with all the new ideas and I think we've been very poor at being able to give credit where it's due. The ideas have just fallen short due to lack of budget and the ridiculous price tags that they come associated with.

I think the meal thing is fine, it's a bit of bespoke fun and why not? The sleepover can't be cheap to insure and run all night outside, so it's expensive, probably a bit too much, but I can see their thinking.

But, to then not have a free maze, and rather than compliment existing markets together, they are simply substituting one for another (do you want all visitors, or do you want to keep changing who visits? - perhaps there is an argument in moving it around, but I would have thought steady crowd would be better).

I have shied away a little from commenting here for now, and I wont judge till afterwards, but if it's rubbish and just ScaryUpchargeFest rather than improving the event, my ranting is going to go extreme lol!

That's the thing though, I think it's perfectly visible that they've tried to improve it even if it still is pants, but ultimately the penny pinching has prevailed and alienates those who aren't willing to pay to receive what would be free entertainment in any other leading park.

That's the thing though, I think it's perfectly visible that they've tried to improve it even if it still is pants, but ultimately the penny pinching has prevailed and alienates those who aren't willing to pay to receive what would be free entertainment in any other leading park.

Totally agree, when you have a £50 entrance fee (which regardless of offers, people still judge the park on) you don't expect everything to be so expensive when you are in, and it really is now, think about the prices you walk around and see everywhere. Because they advertise so much, they actually bombard your senses with LOOK HOW EXPENSIVE EVERYTHING IS.

*facepalm*

They. Just. Don't. Get. It.

One of the things that really annoys me regarding up-selling when you've already paid a premium to enter the park, is that they are always advertising the M£rlin Annual Pass on the queue times boards, on more than one of their own pages to themselves! It seems that they are on for longer than the actual queue times.

[/offtopic]

A couple of progress images of Scary Tales:

10730822_1028993160459979_1961273821239863033_n.jpg

Credit to Theme Park Worldwide

10525718_1028987680460527_1465483967566334794_n.jpg

Credit to Theme Park Worldwide

I don't mind this dining experience that they are charging for, and it does seem decent value for money. Disney offer a tonne of different dining experiences at an up charge.

Anyway, here are some photos of Scary Tales scare zone that Theme Park Worldwide have posted on Facebook:

10525718_1028987680460527_1465483967566334794_n.jpg

10730822_1028993160459979_1961273821239863033_n.jpg

Of course it's not finished and it's hard to tell what it will be like from photos but let's say you can tell it is done on the cheap, looks a tad amateur.

EDIT: Beaten to it by a matter of seconds! :p

:)

While I do agree it does appear to be l about money making aI am currently on final day in orlando and it's not really any different at the Disney and universal parks around money making( while it's perhaps not quite so obvious and they do offer a premium experience) and I also not in anyway saying Alton is within a million miles of the same league as these parks. But both offer Halloween events but are separate ticket events (as are Busch gardens) yet if you visited magic kingdom Friday, the park closed at 7pm and then you needed separate ticket for the Halloween event. However if visit today park is open to 1am as no event, yet entry price ($96 about £61) is the same. And was same at universal as park closes at 5pm On event nights, while doesn't effect uk guests that much with our ticket options and you can avoids if Plan ahead but I did hear lots of Americans moaning about it especially at universal, especially those on 1 day visits or long weekends. At universal Halloween event unless you buy a ticket with express inc when you got the oct dates you struggle to get on more than a couple of mazes (these tickets are $150+ about £100!) Also both offer lots of add ons, loads of expensive options to have premium experiences to see evening events such as desert parties that inc priority viewing. Plus counter service food and drink works out no cheaper than Merlin prices.

The Scary Tales zone is coming along nicely. Scare Zones often do look quite... rustic?

Really looking forward to finally getting round to experiencing the 2 scare zones!

At least they have found a use for that falling sign that was new in the carnival last year! Oh and the old chocolate towers themeing :p

Going back a bit, where does it say the Altonville dining experience will be in the gardens/Swiss cottage? That would be amazing!

Judging by the images so far from Towers on Snapchat, Towers Street looks fantastic. There seems to be a few little extras than normal, particularly the mummified frog fountains.