• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2017

Nah, surely they should get a scare maze themed to Troll 2... ;)

(No, I'm not being serious. :p)

I don't understand the want for another 'kids maze'.. maybe we have different expectations of Scarefest but i think that its fantastic they have another offering for those looking for a thrill and that it is linked to SW8.
Is that not what Thorpe park is for?

Scarefest is a family event, with large gaps in said demographic.
They have the shows for under 5s, HoM for 8-10s then the mazes for 15+.
The event doesn't NEED more scare mazes but it does need something for 5-8s and
10-15s, (it used to have this in the form of zombie scarezone/scary tales but the new style zones are less scary than HoM but listed as 4 pumpkin so, are pretty much useless in bridging both gaps) once the event has that infrastructure, then I would love another sub species!

I not saying the 15+ mazes are bad, god no. Just that adding more at this moment in time (especially one that advertisers SW8, a family ride) seems very out of touch to me.

Is that not what Thorpe park is for?

Scarefest is a family event, with large gaps in said demographic.
They have the shows for under 5s, HoM for 8-10s then the mazes for 15+.
The event doesn't NEED more scare mazes but it does need something for 5-8s and
10-15s, (it used to have this in the form of zombie scarezone/scary tales but the new style zones are less scary than HoM but listed as 4 pumpkin so, are pretty much useless in bridging both gaps) once the event has that infrastructure, then I would love another sub species!

I not saying the 15+ mazes are bad, god no. Just that adding more at this moment in time (especially one that advertisers SW8, a family ride) seems very out of touch to me.

Fright nights is a shambles and also down south so not accessible for a lot of people so no I don't believe that is what Thorpe park is for, I understand the gap in the market currently but it's not just scarefest that is the issue really. The park in general doesn't cater well for anyone between the ages of 6 & 15.
I very much agree with the point of the welcoming being a family ride and having a scare maze however after the success of the sanctuary I'm not at all surprised they've chosen this route.

Hmm they will be using the bridge for something then.
DKffw8oXUAEW4hL

Yeah, the trailer/advert hints to a blindfolded maze. Whether it's for the whole experience or just partial we don't know. However, the little details we have seen through pictures suggests it will only be partially blindfolded.

Blindfolds worked in molly crowe because it was dealing with ghosts and demons (otherwise invisible entity). I question how well it will work with angry shouting people who's most lightly gimmick will probably be to look intimidating!
I also question how I'm meant to find it scary, when I'm too busy focusing on not touching the jagged, sharp (and probably splintered) rotting wooden walls, and not stepping in puddles!

Then we have the issue of the added throughput...ON A MAZE THAT IS CLOSED UNTIL 5:30PM!
And while I'm not saying anything about the quality ;) I find it most telling, that the almost universally agreed upon highlight of molly crowe, is the bit at the end where you take the hood off...just saying.

On a side note, think they will do a sw8 live (like 13 live in 2010) next year for scarefest?
The actors will just get attacked again, but when has something as frivolous as logic or reason ever stopped merlin?

Last edited:
Blindfolds worked in molly crowe because it was dealing with ghosts and demons (otherwise invisible entity). I question how well it will work with angry shouting people who's most lightly gimmick will probably be to look intimidating!
I also question how I'm meant to find it scary, when I'm too busy focusing on not touching the jagged, sharp (and probably splintered) rotting wooden walls, and not stepping in puddles!

Then we have the issue of the added throughput...ON A MAZE THAT IS CLOSED UNTIL 5:30PM!
And while I'm not saying anything about the quality ;) I find it most telling, that the almost universally agreed upon highlight of molly crowe, is the bit at the end where you take the hood off...just saying.

On a side note, think they will do a sw8 live (like 13 live in 2010) next year for scarefest?
The actors will just get attacked again, but when has something as frivolous as logic or reason ever stopped merlin?

I find it very interesting how people can comment on what a maze is like before actually going inside of it.

Brilliant precognition there!

Merlin have some of the highest safety rules in the world, there's not much chance of any injury from wood etc, and even if there was, boo hoo you got a splinter.

The comments on the finale of Molly Crowe are kind of... off. Of course the centerpiece of that maze is an outstanding set piece that involves
Molly Crowe's ghost literally flying above you
"such impressive SFX".
You can't exactly compare the two experiences in the maze when they use different senses.

I can't tell if you're serious, or just an anti-merlin person.

What if I'm a serious anti merlin person?

I'm actually an agent sent by Drayton manor to discredit merlin!

I just think hooded mazes, are a flawed concept (and as such, dislike them) and am scared that they will turn the welcoming in to one when, in my opinion, the welcoming is the worst maze they could have picked for a hooded maze.
Mainly due to its location and opening times but I am also sad that if it is a hooded maze, then we just lost out on something that could potentially have been up there with the sanctuary (since (like sanctuary) the welcoming is made to advertise the new ride, it could have the same amount of love and detail poured into it but if they turn it into a hooded maze, then we won't get much theming any detail)
And we all know that the hoods, are an excuse to not theme anything...it is merlin after all and Drayton manor IS GOD!!!

I also heard merlin kicks dogs but Drayton manor found out and gave loads of money to save those dogs!

Here's why I think hooded mazes are a flawed concept because otherwise, people will bring it up...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I find them to be a flawed concept in because they are just too restrictive.
The worst they can do is scream at you or touch you, and it adds outside concerns that distract from the maze like tripping over or bumping into stuff.
On the other hand, in non hooded mazes they can still do that+ a lot more AND can still recreate a hooded section by just having a really dark room.

I'm not saying hooded mazes are 100% bad, just that (in their current form) they don't hold a candle to non hooded mazes.

Last edited:
What if I'm a serious anti merlin person?

I'm actually an agent sent by Drayton manor to discredit merlin!

I just think hooded mazes, are a flawed concept (and as such, dislike them) and am scared that they will turn the welcoming into one when, in my opinion, the welcoming is the worst maze they could have picked for a hooded maze.

Mainly due to its location and opening times but I am also sad that if it is a hooded maze, then we just lost out on something that could potentially have been up there with the sanctuary (since (like sanctuary) the welcoming is made to advertise the new ride, it could have the same amount of love and detail poured into it but if they turn it into a hooded maze, then we won't get much theming any detail)

And we all know that the hoods are an excuse to not theme anything...it is Merlin after all and Drayton manor IS GOD!!!

I also heard Merlin kicks dogs but Drayton manor found out and gave loads of money to save those dogs!

Oh, I agree, I'm really not a fan of hooded mazes, I don't have time to rant about Hellements at Tulleys or The Passing Thorpe Park, however there can be a creative element pulled from the hooded concept if used correctly, to take away someone's eyes is to almost handicap that person, if unexpected like I think this should have been, then they could have really scared some people. Unfortunately, you can't blindfold people without telling them.

I don't think this is out of place if done well, it will provide an interesting spin on the attraction and I think could work quite well.

This is all theoretical of course and I can't say whether or not it will work. I hope it does as I've been begging for a multisensory maze for years.

I'm all for ranting about Merlin if it's deserved btw, but I try not to judge them before it's required.

Well... I thought I better share my update for Scarefest, Showing a look at all the mazes, Including a look at the inclusion of the hooded section to The Welcoming.

http://www.themeparkguide.biz/news-page/news-display/1346

sam_1535.jpg

Mysterious White Sheet (Someone forgot to hang the washing out at home)

sam_1538.jpg

What look like doors? (probably not important)

sam_1542.jpg

Towers Bridge (Probably an evacuation route?)

sam_1529.jpg

Pretty wood! What looks like a medieval / gothic style torch holder. (May not contain fire, possibly will)

How long for the coasters

Not too bad after maze opening time, but still Maze tickets are staggered, so there will obviously be queues.

I'd hazard a guess at around an hour or so for low throughput rides like Rita & Th13teen. Nemesis is never usually too long, maybe around 30-45 minutes.

You won't ever know until the day though, sorry.

just a heads up but I think traveller day may be on the Sunday 8th this year as there is horse racing in Uttoxeter. Delightful folk they are too....

This talk about The Welcoming being a blindfolded maze. It's very possible they could use loosely woven hoods which only restrict your view, not completely blind you.

I've done a similar maze like that at other attractions and it does work very well. Much prefer it over being completely blindfolded.