• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2017

A post by a passholder on the FB page saying they are now queuing in the overflow q for The Welcoming at 9pm
I’ve been to nearly every night of Scarefest and the most I have queued is 15 mins.
Madness ! :eek:

20171008-155803-hdr.jpg

here's a picture of the map,
and here is a picture of the map outside York Dungeon,
dick2_orig.jpg

(random dudes not included)

my point was that, it just doesn't work for HoM because the entire attraction is about exploring an empty house, adding a map just ruins the mystery of it while missing every point going!

...you may now continue discussing scarefest!
(if I didn't post the picture and explain myself, it would have bugged me)

10 points to whoever can read the HoM map in the picture!

20171008-155803-hdr.jpg

here's a picture of the map,

my point was that, it just doesn't work for HoM because the entire attraction is about exploring an empty house, adding a map just ruins the mystery of it while missing every point going!
I think the map serves an important purpose in explaining what the attraction is and that it is indeed suitable for young families and worth its cost. Plus, for kids who aren't willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, you can better explain to your little terror that it will be fun.

Great day at Alton yesterday. Didn't do the Scarefest stuff this time, but enjoyed the park in the dark, as ever.

Nothing wrong with the HOM map. Most people didn't seem to even look at it on the way in. It was a decent attraction and advertising it to more people who don't understand what HOM is can only be a good thing.

I hope HOM returns next year as it's great family fun. If anything, it needed more explaining of what it was.

In Germany, all ride / attraction buildings have to have a map showing fire exits posted at the entrance. Personally, the geek in me enjoys seeing the layout.
Now, if they had an actual map of the house, with each scene marked on it (like the vlogger has been staking out the house for a long time or something) that would be awesome!

It would accomplish the same thing, but without (admittedly, quite mildly) ruining it!

(Since every scene transition is via secret passage, it means they don't have to give away what order the scenes are in!)

sorry to double post but, if i wear this costume in "Altonville Mine Tours, Uncover the Legend of the Skin Snatchers"
51uJHyDzyXL._SY550_.jpg
(obviously, I will look MUCH worse)
Think it will get damaged?
Also...if i go in The Welcoming, think they will smear doggie pie all over my face paint?

sorry to double post but, if i wear this costume in "Altonville Mine Tours, Uncover the Legend of the Skin Snatchers"
51uJHyDzyXL._SY550_.jpg
(obviously, I will look MUCH worse)
Think it will get damaged?
I've never been in AMT as I don't really enjoy scare mazes, but I'm not sure what the actors could do to damage that costume.

They are almost certainly going to tell you to take your hood off before you go in. They won't let you take in any "props" either.

They're not allowing masks on park either so you probably won't get away with the face paint. Was there last year when some dick was chasing kids around with a fake knife in a clown mask. Part of this killer clown Internet "trend" thing. Saw security guards pinning him to the floor later in the day though which was enjoyable.

Reactions: pj
Park was very busy this weekend, haven't seen it so busy in a veryyyy long time. The lack of rides didn't help with queues and there is not enough catering facilities on park to cope with demand (why was everything closed in Dark Forest?!). The park didn't seem well prepared for such large crowds and it did feel like there wasn't enough staff in some areas. Saying that, I still enjoyed the days on park and staff were working very hard across the board.

Scarefest in future could do with some more street entertainment, The Alton Ancestors were getting some decent crowds, it wouldn't be a bad idea if the park had something more in future. Fire breathers/jugglers or something like that? I would utilize Fountain Square for this.

The park really needs more scare zones also, Freak Show was rammed. The Forbidden Valley scare zone could do with a come back. I really enjoyed Scary Tales a few years back, wouldn't mind a scare zone with a similar theme joining the line up.

3q2HrsK.jpg

21iNNzs.jpg

This is why one scare zone isn't enough, Towers!

The welcoming : the best it’s been tonight. And it’s been the top of my list for most of Scarefest.

Here’s to Scarefest 2018 !

Edit. Did like mine tours. Fat bloke in underpants is back. :D

Last edited:
Review of House of Monsters
Spoilers, Probably...
This year, they gave everyone an item to bring to the final room but more on that later!

The pre-show
It was largely unchanged from last year so...still good!

Skeleton John's room
It plays out exactly the same as last year except executed much better!
There is also an explanation as to why everyone wants you dead, so that's good! Personally, I hope they remove the bell next year as it just doesn't work, (at the count of 3, they trigger the sound effect regardless of if the volunteer rung it or not so when I shouted "we're all gonna die!" Before ringing it, I got shouted at for taking too long, (this also happened to a poor kid on my 2nd run through))

Venom's Room
Still as pointless and dull as last year, now with added trip hazards!

Grogle's Room
A vast improvement on last year
Upon entering, you are met with Venus, a giant man eating plant. Now, this thing is terrifying and gets shockingly close to the seats! The issue?
Venus is only in the right side of the room so, unless you are on that side of the room, it completely falls flat! The other main issue was that after Venus goes crazy and decides to eat everyone, nothing really happens.
What they should do is, put animatronic plants throughout the entire room and have all hell break loose, because, in its current form, after you get past Venus, (assuming your lucky enough to sit right in front of her) its just a gentle stroll out of the room!

Wolfboys Room
This room was also identical to last year with the only difference being, a much better actor who wasn't afraid to scare people!

Frankie's Room
Instead of having to find a shrunken Frankie like last year, this year, you have to find 2 bolts for Frankie's neck and wow, were these well hidden! It took like 2 min to find one of them!
After this, Frankie comes out and goes straight into a song, and while its a fine song...its just dull!
Hopefully next year, they get rid of it!
Another issue caused by this song is that you don't really get much interaction with Frankie, which is a shame because he's the by far, strongest character!

The Final
This was MUCH better than last year!
There was more scares, it was longer, and it had a very good route. Overall it was a vast improvement from last year!...And then...
We enter a small room with about 5 doors and Frankie appears from a drop panel telling us to try all the doors...after confirming that non of the doors can be opened from our side and awkwardly standing there being yelled at for 20-30 seconds, an actor opens one of the doors and we leave....what?
I hope to god that last room was broken or something because wow! That was awful, and the thought of someone thinking this was a good idea, makes me sick!

Overall, HoM was much better this year and I can't wait to see how they improve it next year!
That said, the operations on it were GOD AWFUL, I booked HoM for 7:30 on my own, when I got there, I was in a group full of kids so (fearing that they would tone it down) I asked if I could wait for the next one, so the group went in and I stayed behind...It was at this point, they had the good sense to inform me that due to the 4 different items you had to collect and bring to Frankie's room, I would not be allowed to enter the attraction on my own!
I eventually went in at 8:10pm (10 min After closing time!) And as a result, I almost missed my bus!

...thank you for reading my pointless and poorly written review of a now closed attraction! :)