• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2022

I'm actually not disappointed by the return of the Skin Snatcher's maze because it has been the best one by far the past few seasons, even if it is getting on a bit. Attic has been OK, Darkest Depths pretty lame and Junkyard was rubbish.

But I think this says more about the rest of the lineup than the oldest maze itself. There's very little unique about these mazes anymore. They're all pretty samey, very little unique about them. Same tricks employed.

The event is getting a bit repetitive and needs a rethink, starting with different style mazes in different locations that aren't just all concentrated around the Towers. We used to have mazes scattered around, scare zones, mazes by the hotels, overnight experiences, people jumping out on you in Haunted Hollow and Duel and blokes mimicking Uncle Fester riding mobile organs around Towers Street. None of that now, just a selection or samey mazes concentrated in one location, the Ancestors and some pumpkins and hay bales in Towers Street.

I think Towers need a Sub-Species type maze back, something very hands on, multiple routes, ability to split up groups and mess around with people… it’s possible for them to do something like this, the entertainments team could easily be undertaking work within the Towers as it’s out of sight.

It’s either going to be a maze in the Towers or in the Sub-Terra building. I’m hoping for something in the Towers, and a new ride or resurrection happening within the Sub-Terra building so there’s a ride replacing Nemesis for 2023.

Sharing this (with permission) here as Sub Terra is very likely to be the location of the 4th maze, but a friend was on-park today and took this photo...

Is that on one of the pre-show screens?
It certainly looks like it could be on a screen. Not sure if one was in that location before though.

Edit: almost definitely a TV screen.

Screenshot_20220830_190237_com.twitter.android.jpg

Screenshot_20220830_190243_com.twitter.android.jpg

Last edited:
I'm actually not disappointed by the return of the Skin Snatcher's maze because it has been the best one by far the past few seasons, even if it is getting on a bit. Attic has been OK, Darkest Depths pretty lame and Junkyard was rubbish.

But I think this says more about the rest of the lineup than the oldest maze itself. There's very little unique about these mazes anymore. They're all pretty samey, very little unique about them. Same tricks employed.

The event is getting a bit repetitive and needs a rethink, starting with different style mazes in different locations that aren't just all concentrated around the Towers. We used to have mazes scattered around, scare zones, mazes by the hotels, overnight experiences, people jumping out on you in Haunted Hollow and Duel and blokes mimicking Uncle Fester riding mobile organs around Towers Street. None of that now, just a selection or samey mazes concentrated in one location, the Ancestors and some pumpkins and hay bales in Towers Street.

I do agree with this. It seems Thorpe have put together a couple of unique attractions this year in fairness. The scare zone announced yesterday seems pretty wild. Hopefully Towers follow with something unique rather than another Project 42 style zombie walkthrough

It's gonna be for Scarefest but i'd much rather it be them sorting out Sub Terra. Wouldn't be surprised if it's something along the lines of The Terminal, which was announced the other day for Thorpe.

I must say that I'm disappointed with this years line up. It been relatively the same for 4 years now. It needs to lose 2 and gain two mazes next year for the event to feel fresh again. However I do hope that the new 'Experiance' does bring something exciting to the table, whatever it is (I don't like the sound of audio experiences however). I look forward to the final announcement.

So far it’s looking worse and even more stale than last years event, it seems we have 3 dull mazes and the same family stuff we’ve had for years now. With no mention of the trick or treat doors, which I assumed would come back as they never even removed the outdoor bit from the dungeons.

it’s just a shame that it seems for it’s 15th event it will probably be one of the worse. When Thorpe seem to be doing so much more, and also so many new bits and scarezones.

hopefully towers Have something up their sleeve with more to announce but I’m not sure,

Sorry, hope you didn't take offence to my reply!
No Offence caused!

Yeah again Thorpe are blowing Alton out the window already. Albeit Survival Games seems very much like Sub Species lol. But fair play to them, a unique and fresh lineup (again). Alton keeping the same stale and risk free attractions
Sorry for the double post but I am hoping that Alton towers will step up their game next year and start to follow Thorpe park (both are parks run by Merlin entertainment). If merlin sees how successful Thorpe is they may implement Thorpe park's style marketing campaign and line up (4 mazes with plenty scare zones and shows. However you should keep in mind that Thorpe is for thrill seekers whereas Alton is for family and Thrill seekers meaning that even if Alton copied Thorpe, it would be on a smaller scale to accommodate families with children under 10/11. I would love to see Alton expand their offering next year (At least 2 new scare mazes and bring back scare mazes at night!).

Yeah... I can't help but look over at Thorpe with envy. I will try not to let this affect my first scarefest, but the difference between the park's lineups is definitely noticeable.

I really hope Alton has something great up their sleeves. Though to be honest, I'm not keen on being sent into the sub-terra building with a pair of headphones That isn't to say I don't want Alton to try something different. I just want a thrilling, unique scare maze.

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk

I just can’t see a maze being in that Sun Terra building being anything incredible. It surely doesn’t have the space for it? Unless more work has been done that we aren’t aware of.

Where is this Sun Terra building you speak of?
Not that I do scare attractions anymore, but the differences between Thorpe and Alton...
Thorpe is a teen park.
Alton is more for families.
They are likely to create attractions to fit their own market.

Where is this Sun Terra building you speak of?
Not that I do scare attractions anymore, but the differences between Thorpe and Alton...
Thorpe is a teen park.
Alton is more for families.
They are likely to create attractions to fit their own market.
Not the point is it though?

Alton create attractions to fit both audiences, they have a decent selection already to for the family market, for the thrill market? It’s a terrible lineup.