• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2022

That’s weird, thought they would have took most of Sub Species down no?
I'm not hugely surprised to hear it's still in place, to be honest. It's in a part of the towers that is never open to the public during the normal season and hasn't been in use since Sub Species, so there's no reason for them to have taken it out unless they wanted to use the sets elsewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day we discover that some of the Sanctuary is still in place - there was a section of that maze which was in a part of the West Wing, which wasn't reused as part of Molly Crowe or Mine Tours and is usually closed to the public.

In other news, I probably shouldn't have to say this.... but don't sneak around the towers when they are closed to the public! They are probably safe, but if the park aren't expecting the public to be in there, things may have been left in a hazardous state, not least because we don't actually know why they're shut at the moment.

Yep, 24/7 surveillance! I heard someone on social media that Duels ride host said that in late May, John Wardley was spotted on Duel. I also got told the same by the Host when I asked what's happening to it.
I’ve got a feeling that something bigs coming. But it has to be done pretty sharp. With nemesis expected to be shut for the majority of next season, we need as many rides as possible to be running to its best, last thing towers want is for silly queue lengths on the other rides

I’ve got a feeling that something bigs coming. But it has to be done pretty sharp. With nemesis expected to be shut for the majority of next season, we need as many rides as possible to be running to its best, last thing towers want is for silly queue lengths on the other rides
Don't forget either that he also designed the ride when it was the Haunted House... I wonder what that could mean...

I'm not hugely surprised to hear it's still in place, to be honest. It's in a part of the towers that is never open to the public during the normal season and hasn't been in use since Sub Species, so there's no reason for them to have taken it out unless they wanted to use the sets elsewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day we discover that some of the Sanctuary is still in place - there was a section of that maze which was in a part of the West Wing, which wasn't reused as part of Molly Crowe or Mine Tours and is usually closed to the public.

In other news, I probably shouldn't have to say this.... but don't sneak around the towers when they are closed to the public! They are probably safe, but if the park aren't expecting the public to be in there, things may have been left in a hazardous state, not least because we don't actually know why they're shut at the moment.
Yeah mate 100%. Im curious to know where this new maze will be. With darkest depths being ‘reconstructed’ that’s been ruled out. The only possible places are the west wing of the towers (where most of terror of the towers: what lies within was) the bottom floor where sub species & minetours is, or the sub terra building is (very much doubt it’ll be going in there but I may be wrong)

The golden era for me will always be 2015/16 and 2013 for Scarefest. The likes of Carnival, Sanctuary, Terror of the Towers: WLW and Sub Species were such high quality, well thought-out experiences. Nothing has quite come close to those; there always feels like there's something missing with the current line-up/attractions. Some of the scenery/theming has improved drastically but the scare methods (SFX like air cannons, anticipation, characterisation, etc) just feel weaker.

If there is one maze I desperately want rid of it's Freak Show. That, or it to be brought indoors. I'd quite happily put up with Mine Tours for another year if FS got culled. If the concept was taken and put into a Sub Species style format (free flow, more intense, indoors, split-up, etc) then it'd probably work.

Could this post on Towers' Instagram be teasing something? It features an actor in The Welcoming costume...

Edit; Auditions have been announced! (Alton Towers Entertainments Instagram Stories)

Screenshot_20220627-181750-306.png

Last edited:
The golden era for me will always be 2015/16 and 2013 for Scarefest. The likes of Carnival, Sanctuary, Terror of the Towers: WLW and Sub Species were such high quality, well thought-out experiences. Nothing has quite come close to those; there always feels like there's something missing with the current line-up/attractions. Some of the scenery/theming has improved drastically but the scare methods (SFX like air cannons, anticipation, characterisation, etc) just feel weaker.

If there is one maze I desperately want rid of it's Freak Show. That, or it to be brought indoors. I'd quite happily put up with Mine Tours for another year if FS got culled. If the concept was taken and put into a Sub Species style format (free flow, more intense, indoors, split-up, etc) then it'd probably work.
Honestly mate I couldn’t agree more. Sub species, Sanctuary and carnival are my top 3 all time mazes. They packed a punch and gave scarefest the name it has today. In all honesty FS needs to go, or go back to a scarezone format. We need this new maze to be nothing like we’ve had before. The lineup the past few years since sub species went has been very tired and stale. I spoke to one of my mates who works in house and we should know more about the lineup late July early august. Just praying it’s going to be a good one

We're heading to Scarefest this year purely for the night time rides. Do que times get into the 60+ minutes or are people more focused on the mazes? Never been before so just curious on how busy the park gets.
After 8pm the queues start to go down, so by quarter to 9 rides like Nemesis and Thirteen should be walk-on. The exception is Wicker Man however due to its proximity to the park entrance.

Found out yesterday that the people I usually go to Scarefest with are no longer tied to school holidays. How busy do the term time Scarefest weekdays tend to be?
This year there's the Friday of opening weekend which is before half term starts, or Halloween (Monday) which is the week after it finishes.

After 8pm the queues start to go down, so by quarter to 9 rides like Nemesis and Thirteen should be walk-on. The exception is Wicker Man however due to its proximity to the park entrance.
Nemesis yes but Thirteen isn’t usually walk on on scarefest evenings - it was on about 70 minutes coming up to half 8 on my visit last year - The Smiler was done however so probably played a role in it

WM and Smiler are both extremely popular after dark - queues for those two can get longer towards the end of the day rather than shorter. On peak days you could wait 90min for either at 8pm. In previous years this has been exacerbating by people saving their fastrack until evening on those rides, slowing down the queues even more than usual.

The first week of the event is usually not too bad - we always used to do an evening trip (arriving at around 6.30-7) and could usually get a fair few rides in the remaining couple of hours

I'm going to my first Scarefest this year. Super excited! As old as Altonville is, Freak Show looks far less appealing to me. It's not the kind of thing that scares me at all. AVMT looks very creepy and immersive. I have a question: Do you get to pick the time of your maze bookings? So for example, I would want to book Freak Show at night.

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk