• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2023

I think one of the issues is that they can have the same mazes returning year after year, but in that scenario the park should still be adding new scenes and characters and keeping the experience fresh - if a maze follows the same route, with the same scares at the same points, then it is more or less guaranteed to become stale, especially after so many years in operation.

Back in Scarefest's heyday, even though mazes came back year after year they came back with altered plot lines and scenes, which was a brilliant way to convince punters to buy tickets year on year to see what had changed. Some of those changes were for very obvious logistical reasons, but others certainly seemed like it was a real desire to innovate from the team behind the event.

All of these mazes changed significantly, in some cases on a yearly basis:
1693935105010.png

That's nearly every maze from the first ten years of the event. The only major maze from the early years that never had any significant plot change if I recall correctly was The Sanctuary. Since 2016 things seem to have got a lot more stale. It doesn't really seem like there's the same level of creativity behind the project - which echoes Merlins general feel these past several years.

I suspect even the updates to Altonville Mine Tours will be of a similar if not less extent than the changes that would happen year-on-year with Carnival of Screams of The Boiler House.

As an EPIC L33T GAMER!!!!111!! Heres my take on what I think this new maze might be like!!1!!!

First off, I looked on his channel and it doesn't seem like Daz has played Slender (a horror game, just incase you don't have my gamer instinx)
To me, this says that rather than being Daz themed, this maze might be based around YouTube horror gaming as a genre...

Obviously this will include Slender The Eight Pages (Slenderman game, obviously) since its the thing that popularised the genre and therefore must also include Amnesia The Dark Decent!(the game that created the genre)
Normally, I would say that this (Amnesia featuring in the maze) will amount to just an encounter with a knockoff version of this thing and little else,
2013-10-17_00002.jpg
But since this is an escape room, then maybe they might opt for the more interesting option of trying to somehow adapt the iconic water monster encounter.
Starts at 21:00 ends at 32:00
In theory, all it would take to pull something like that off is some fog machines, air cannons, a sheet lazer and some creativity, so its definitely in the realms of possibility!

Beyond this, the only other thing that I think is worth mentioning, is Five Nights At Freddys...in which case I think they will go the obvious route...
...ya'know...
"OK dazzlers, I think the symbol is inside that empty animatronic suit, blablabla try reaching your hand down its throat to scan it, blablabla ThE BiTe oF EiGhTy-SeVeN" ect. Then air cannons inside the suit!
bonus points if they put a wet, child sized plastic skeleton inside the suit

Then, this being ai themed, it will probably end with the plot twist that
the Daz who has been screaming over the loudspeaker for the entire experience...IS ACTUALLY DAZ.EXE!!!!!!1111!! I just hope this inevitable plot twist leads to a final maze section or something rather than just a a blank room with GAME OVER written on the wall as you calmly walk out while nothing happens

Speculation aside, I'm a bit concerned about how the description mentions avoiding "capture" and what happens if you do get caught.
Since this is probably going to just be understaffed Sub Species with a failstate, they might actually give you a time out for getting caught or god forbid, simply kick you out the maze via an empty GAME OVER room!
I want to say that surely they aren't THAT stupid...but thats what we thought about the retro squad and The Invitation...

Honesty I don't really know what to expect from this, but I think it will either be really good or worse than Invitation. It all depends on how creative (and funded) they are, but given the fact that they haven't cannibalised The Invitation for budget, I'm not hopeful...

Lastly, I would like to apologise if this was hard to read, I kept thinking of stuff they could do based on different horror games that "made the rounds" over the years but ended up deleting most of them because they were just too niche to really appeal to general audiences and therefore would not (probably) be used.

There was some sort of metal frame tunnel being constructed behind the back wall of the Wickerman queue line yesterday. No idea what it is going to be for but assume it is something Scarefest related.

How Different do we think AVMT TR will be? I heard and seen a lot of people complaining about this but this has happened in the past with Terror of the Towers being changed 2 times over the course of about 20 years.

I think Mine Tours will probably have a new opening scene and finale. Cant see too many changes happening though

ScareTour have been hinting at some changes to the Invitation though

I think Mine Tours will probably have a new opening scene and finale. Cant see too many changes happening though
A caravan was photographed outside the entrance to the maze, that could possibly be part of the update.
ScareTour have been hinting at some changes to the Invitation though
I've heard rumours of a scare maze section being added on the end, which wouldn't surprise me given the reaction last season.

I would hope that Mine Tours has a different ending. I have never been to Scarefest, but I have heard that the end is rather lackluster.

I've got to say, I really like that video. Not only does it look good as a promo piece but it conveys a good story without being exposition heavy.

Looks like this is going to be the headline attraction for Scarefest. I think this year is strong enough to be the best one in years if they pull it off well! Best of luck to the Entertainments Team!!

Does anyone know how much ATM, Attic, Invitation and DD are individually? Think they were all £9 each last year.

Last edited: