• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2024

I think having a family maze is great for the park (house of monsters was always popular), and I think some of the permanent lighting and fixed maze locations are promising but as it stands there isn’t enough to make me revisit, a maze themed on a YouTuber and 2 other mazes that have existed since I last visited in 2019 just isn’t enough of a draw.

Seems that COMPOUND is our new Scare maze

From the website:

"A terrifying NEW live-action scare maze, COMPOUND, bravely step forward and find yourself a subject of the Phalanx. Guarded by their relentless Operatives, you’re plunged into a sinister sci-fi experiment where your DNA is the next weapon. Are things really as in control as they seem? Can you escape their clutches, or will you become the next target for the experiments lurking within?"

"COMPOUND is an intense and disorientating scare maze, set within an intimidating Phalanx facility featuring dark and claustrophobic environments amongst the hallways and chambers of their labs. Dare you enter this scientific nightmare? (Live-action scare maze recommended for guests aged 12+)"

The advert for Compound at least looks more professional done and befitting a renowned theme park than yesterdays did. Hopefully a good addition to Scarefest, even though overall it’s hardly the huge change up people wanted and the event desperately needed.

Last edited:
I think having a family maze is great for the park (house of monsters was always popular), and I think some of the permanent lighting and fixed maze locations are promising but as it stands there isn’t enough to make me revisit, a maze themed on a YouTuber and 2 other mazes that have existed since I last visited in 2019 just isn’t enough of a draw.

I agree with Dave above. I did not do Scarefest last year and am really not sure that I am going to bother this year either. I was hoping that there would be a complete re-vamp of the event, yet this does not seem to have happened.

I would assume users of this forum are not typical visitors and many people don't go to Scarefest every year or even go to Alton Towers every year.

From the website:

"A terrifying NEW live-action scare maze, COMPOUND, bravely step forward and find yourself a subject of the Phalanx. Guarded by their relentless Operatives, you’re plunged into a sinister sci-fi experiment where your DNA is the next weapon. Are things really as in control as they seem? Can you escape their clutches, or will you become the next target for the experiments lurking within?"

"COMPOUND is an intense and disorientating scare maze, set within an intimidating Phalanx facility featuring dark and claustrophobic environments amongst the hallways and chambers of their labs. Dare you enter this scientific nightmare? (Live-action scare maze recommended for guests aged 12+)"

This could be really good at least? I think along side burial grounds, updated Daz games and the atmosphere of forbidden Valley this might get be to come back this year I’m still unsure at the moment. The two family mazes spooks not so much but I guess they’re trying to accommodate more for this market now?

Perhaps Thorpe is the new place for intense Scare Mazes now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would assume users of this forum are not typical visitors and many people don't go to Scarefest every year or even go to Alton Towers every year.
No of course not. But there are a lot of Merlin Annual Pass holders that are not necessarily enthusiasts or on forums etc. And I am sure some of these people will also recognise that the event seems to be a bit stagnant.

Guest numbers and maze ticket sales will ultimately determine how much of a success Scarefest is going to be. I'm sure they're not bothered in the slightest if I don't go along!

I don't know whether it's me being a Debbie downer but again this year is doing nothing for me. I used to get the Unlimited Maze pass every year and would do them constantly however again I'm not even bothered about doing these once. Mine Tours is back for its 100th year, The Attic has been around for quite a while now as has Trick or Treat Town. The Compound does look better however I'm getting Sub Species VIBES again (can guarantee the alien will make an appearance again). I don't know it just doesn't get me excited again. Its either me being miserable or I'm just bored of the same things.

From the website:

This one is really up in the air. All we've seen is just from inside the Towers, where we know it's not going to be.

From the website:

That looks great, and definitely reminds me of Sub Species. I am a little bit worried that the 12+ age restriction will result in the maze not reaching its full potential.

What actually is a scare maze? Happy for spoilers.

You walk through a themed location and actors jump out? Are you guided or make your own way? In designated groups? How long does it last? Is there a story element?

Are there any permanent attractions for comparison I might know?

What actually is a scare maze? Happy for spoilers.

You walk through a themed location and actors jump out? Are you guided or make your own way? In designated groups? How long does it last? Is there a story element?

Are there any permanent attractions for comparison I might know?
Theme Park Worldwide (and probably others) have been allowed to vlog Thorpe Park scaremazes in previous years - just search TPW fright nights. By all accounts Thorpe Park’s are much better than Alton Towers though.

I saw enough from there to tell me that generally scaremazes are most certainly not my cup of tea!

As has been mentioned, I really don’t see any evidence of a radical overhaul or improvements to the event based on the information we have thus far. That’s in stark contrast to the assumptions some people jumped to when they cut the event offering at the start of the year. Less quantity does not seem to be translating to more quality.

I’m quite disappointed to see the video for Compound. If you were submit that video as a university project then you’d be getting marked down for a total lack of creativity. It hits pretty much every cliche you can think of. Any sort of innovation just seems to have evaporated.

The refresh that we expected is perhaps still going to feel stale because the limited new attractions we’re being left with are predictable, stereotypical themes which have been exhausted across scare attractions for decades.

Is it just me, or did the mazes used to have so much more personality? Take Carnival of Screams or The Sanctuary, they were simple themes but Alton Towers ran away with them and made them their own. The carnival had the trommel tunnel, the big squeeze and the dotty room, The Sanctuary had you waiting for Dr Kelman in the beautifully illuminated conservatory to the sound of Mantovani.

So much better than the likes of Project 42 (when they first seemed to have run out of ideas I'd say) where it's just soldiers blah blah experiments blah blah. And Compound looks like more of that to me. Surely nobody cares about all this seek the truth waffle. Can't we just have something fun, something that feels like you're at Alton Towers? Where's the imagination gone?

And that Coco thing looks very poor. Nothing against family attractions but I imagine anyone over the age of 6 would find that advert as cringe as I do!

Last edited: