• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld & Aquatica San Diego

Coaster looks great. Shame it has just been plonked on the ground with no effort of theming or landscaping.

We're in San Diego for three days in the middle of our upcoming California trip in October and I'm still undecided whether SeaWorld is worth doing. Manta is the only ride that interests us as a family, as I have done Sheikra and Tigris at Busch so just can't see the value for the four of us going.

It's still under construction isn't it?
It’s officially opening on 12th March, so there’s not much construction time left.

I guess there could be some landscaping that will grow and bed in as time goes on. And in fairness, SeaWorlds aren’t really theme parks anyway, instead being more of an amusement park style place.

The technical term for the way they tend to theme things is “metaphorical theming” according to the theme park design book I’m currently reading, and the book even used SeaWorld/Busch as a case study of metaphorical theming. And in fairness, Emperor doesn’t look to do a bad job at metaphorical theming, as the ride itself conveys the theming concept quite well!

On one hand, there are a lot of theme park around the world that would love to have a new B&M. I'm sure Sea World San Diego will benefit from another coaster. However, watching a POV the presentation looks very poor, particularly when you compare it to the logo, the branding and the artist impressions. Sea World might be building quite a few roller coasters at the moment, but the budgets are obviously getting stretched pretty thin.

I can only presume the theming and building are coming next year which I've seen a few smaller parks do but I wouldn't expect it from a large company such as Sea World.

52 inches height restriction on this one. Might make going when we're out there in October worth it as my Youngest will be tall enough to ride it.

Still can't see it being a patch on Sheikra.

So erm.... where's the station? 🤔
Oh dear, that's really not great for the staff working there all day in the Californian sun. I'd like to hope that a station cover at the very least is in the works.
Interestingly, I think that might be a park thing, as Journey to Atlantis doesn’t appear to have a station roof either, from what I can tell.

Interestingly, I think that might be a park thing, as Journey to Atlantis doesn’t appear to have a station roof either, from what I can tell.
Doesn’t sea world San Diego have quite strict planning restrictions and had to get a special permit to build this? could it be something to do with there planning regulations?