SeaWorld & Aquatica San Diego

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by MakoMania, 14th Dec 2017.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Why do we think it was cancelled? Pandemic, or another reason?

Even though the pandemic would be an easy scapegoat, it seems a little unlikely, as other far-off projects in other SeaWorld parks are still full steam ahead, and have recently resumed construction (for example; the Surf Coaster at SeaWorld Orlando, the Screamin’ Swing and PowerSplash at SeaWorld San Antonio, the Screamin’ Swing at Busch Gardens Tampa).

2. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Projects that have not yet broken ground or had final contracts agreed are easy to pull out of. The aforementioned ones have probably passed the point of no return.

A bit like how Merlin have a capex freeze - but Legoland got lucky as the flying theatre/Mythica was already too far gone if you get me.

Matt N likes this.
  3. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I thought Merlin had only reduced it by 40% as opposed to freezed it?

I don’t think companies are freezing CAPEX entirely, merely reducing it a bit; for example, Cedar Fair has said that they still intend to invest $85-100m into their theme park estate, compared with $170m in 2019. And this is only a short term measure to control cash flow.

4. AstroDan

Favourite Ride:
    There is no capex spend for 2021 across the Merlin estate, aside from projects that were already due for this year.

Alton Towers would have had a few £million this year in capex projects following on from Walliams in 2020. They have £0.

Matt N likes this.
  5. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah right; that’s news to me!

Do we think that the CAPEX freeze at Towers for 2021, as well as others, might be due to the fact that their 2020 additions were delayed to 2021? So whatever was due for 2021 might open in 2022, what was due in 2022 might open in 2023 and so on?

6. AstroDan

Favourite Ride:
    Yes, of course that plays into it and could well happen. But in the short term, Merlin have sought to cut capital projects as much as possible.

I would hope to see a very small investment for 2022 and then hopefully something more substantial for 2023. That said, with Kirkbi now in charge... i fear that the Lego parks will get the bulk of the spend.

Anyway - SeaWorld :)

Matt N likes this.