• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am - Reversed

Selected rides opening from 11:00am

I'm just wondering why they can make these cuts but continue to increase prices :p
So your paying more, for less

Re: Selected rides opening from 11:00am

SamJ said:
I'm just wondering why they can make these cuts but continue to increase prices :p
So your paying more, for less

That is kind of what is most galling...

The fact the price has just gone up, yet the product has got worse?

And the best part is, they are actually making it more of a challenge if you want to give them money of your free will, whilst in the park...

Want a cup of tea in Adventure Land or X Sector? No chance!

All it takes is one badly written newspaper article on this, at the wrong time for merlin management and it could seriously damage the parks income.

let me think, it could be a headline like this

Ticket Price rise and Two main coasters closed in Cuts by struggling Alton Towers.

What do you think the GP and would be stock investors think when they see that in a paper?

Squiggs said:
Tom said:
Why on earth would any restuarant be closed at noon?

By the sounds of it the restaurant side of this unit is closing altogether. It'll only be opening until noon to offer a similar selection to what you can find in say Refresh@Ripsaw.

If that's true then it is even worse. Towers Family restaurant do really nice breakfast option up until 11.30am and it is the only place on park where you can get something that is breakfast related (that I know of anyway). It will be a real shame if this stops.

:)

I am sure it will continue to serve a breakfast? The All Day Dining Deal depends on it!

:)

Spinball noodles was new last year!

I have also noticed recently the coffee shop in the farm has often been closed when I have been there.

The worst thing is that people won't know what kiosks are closed and which will be open... Which can lead to confusion and disappointment when people can't get what they want.

It's just poor tbh. Poor.

AstroDan said:
I am sure it will continue to serve a breakfast? The All Day Dining Deal depends on it!

Haha! The All Day Dining does seem somewhat of a perfect storm when the amount of outlets where you can use it is dwindling rapidly.

Seeing as there's a growing number of cutbacks (which shows no sign of stopping), if you'd like to explore the wide variety of cuts and backtracks this year at Towers, I've built a quick website to keep track. :p

Jordan said:
AstroDan said:

Haha! The All Day Dining does seem somewhat of a perfect storm when the amount of outlets where you can use it is dwindling rapidly.

Seeing as there's a growing number of cutbacks (which shows no sign of stopping), if you'd like to explore the wide variety of cuts and backtracks this year at Towers, I've built a quick website to keep track. :p

Server capacity won't be able to handle the sheer amount of content by the end of the season :p

The Psychoaster said:
Jordan said:
AstroDan said:

Server capacity won't be able to handle the sheer amount of content by the end of the season :p

A great simple idea for showing the farce that Towers is this year, but I see an error.....

'Reduced park opening hours' has not been 'reinstated', it is merely a cut back cut back. There are still plenty of dates towards the end of the season with unacceptably reduced opening times down to just 6hrs.

Don't let them forget that this is totally unacceptable.

pluk said:
'Reduced park opening hours' has not been 'reinstated', it is merely a cut back cut back. There are still plenty of dates towards the end of the season with unacceptably reduced opening times down to just 6hrs.

Changed it to 'diluted' ;)

Another big thing...

The fact that it is a Saturday in June, and they have brought ride close forward to 5.00.

This would have been a 6.00 in the past, for sure.

They have absolutely NO money.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Jordan said:
AstroDan said:

What about the reduced times for the Water Park, slides and the lockers in the changing rooms are now £1 instead of being free?

That website is going to be one ALMIGHTY list by the end of the season... Incredible.

Having no money is one thing, having targets to hit that contribute to the corporate bottom line is another.

There seems to be universal agreement in this thread that gate figures are down. IF that is the case, it makes perfect sense to keep eateries closed. Why open them all to service less people?

If you have 5000 guests on park and they're each going to spend £6 on food, that's potential income of £30000. You could open 20 eateries at a cost of £10000, or you could open 15 at a cost of £7500 to service the same number of people.

You may lose out a little in terms of passing trade, but you probably win big in the end.

When your income is reduced for whatever reason, you have to lower your outgoings, just like you do in your personal life.

Rick said:
Having no money is one thing, having targets to hit that contribute to the corporate bottom line is another.

There seems to be universal agreement in this thread that gate figures are down. IF that is the case, it makes perfect sense to keep eateries closed. Why open them all to service less people?

If you have 5000 guests on park and they're each going to spend £6 on food, that's potential income of £30000. You could open 20 eateries at a cost of £10000, or you could open 15 at a cost of £7500 to service the same number of people.

You may lose out a little in terms of passing trade, but you probably win big in the end.

When your income is reduced for whatever reason, you have to lower your outgoings, just like you do in your personal life.
It's a shame they have to resort to this though. Gate figures are down for reasons that Merlin could fix. The park is just getting so expensive without a MAP that people can't afford to visit (check their Facebook and Twitter for proof), and reducing the amount that the park has to offer as well as putting prices up is just ridiculous. Closing things isn't going to help them in the long run so I suggest that they try and think of ways to get more people through the gates rather than thinking of ways to remove value from a guests experience. That isn't going to make people want to visit, is it?

^ I think you're right - but I think it's clear that the things you mention are short term solutions to what may or may not be a long term problem.

It appears to be a national problem, people don't seem to be making their way to the parks this year. We've seen Drayton make pretty significant back tracks this year in terms of the way they market their product.

Also, I do wonder if some people are over stating the above 'issues' in the minds of the average visitor.

That's not a dig at coaster fans, it's just the way of the world, when you're interested in something enough to spend your weekends discussing it on an discussion forum, you are no longer a normal visitor because the measure of what is good/bad about the park has changed so much.

Parks in general are struggling because of various economic reasons, so sense would say that making your park more expensive but reducing what your park has to offer at the same time is just going to put people off from wanting to visit. Merlin want to push multi-day stays but I think it would be wiser to concentrate on getting more people through the door for just one day first.

The situation is further complicated by the park specific annual pass and the Merlin pass.

It's not as easy as just dropping your prices. If you took a hefty amount of the gate price - do you still honour all the BOGOF offers out there?

Merlin as a whole relies on expensive gate prices with a multitude of offers to promote the impression that customers are getting a great deal, which I think they usually are. £20 or so for a day is a steal.