• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am - Reversed

Re: Selected rides opening from 11:00am

It just LOOKS bad. Simple. Closed rides, closed food places, closed shops... it sounds like somewhere that's about to shut down!

This is Alton Towers!! Not Camelot!!!!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Selected rides opening from 11:00am

Matty said:
Satch said:
smudge said:
I don't think they are on a downward spiral per-se, but more of a slump. At the end of the day they are investing £20m next year, this wouldn't be happening if m£rlin knew, or even thought, the park was on a "downward spiral."

Perhaps it is more down to Spinball Noodles, Rehydrator, Rita Shop, Towers Family Restaurant & Kiosks not supporting themselves. After all, isn't that what they are supposed to do? If they are running at a loss, then, hell yeah, close them, but if they are running a profit, then why would they close them? Obviously not to save money...
Tom said:
AstroDan said:
The following cuts are also to take effect from Monday:

Spinball Noodles. Closed entirely.

Rehydrator. Closed entirely.

Rita Shop. Closed, photo's only.

Towers Family Restaurant. Closed after midday.

Kiosks - range of closures and reduced hours.

Karts - range of cuts.

Entertainment - the acorn character is cut.

It is now quite clear that these are the worst days for Alton Towers in the past ten years. The theme park is unable to run itself and, with gate prices having recently risen, the value aspect is slipping.

Thanks Dan, and these changes are to take place each day until season close?

You really don't think they are on a downward spiral? That list is two F&B outlets and one retail outlet, plus another one cut after operating for 3 or 4 hours. Then we have several of the sales points of food and retail cut across the park. And to top it off, entertainments that are promoting the much unsung new attraction Ice Age 3 cutt.

This is bad. This is very bad.

They are only cutting part of the promotion for Ice Age as they will still have the squirrel! Also there are plenty of other shops and food outlets about so no one will really notice a difference i dont think. They wont be closing these if they were really popular and made big profit so i cant see if affecting too many people!
This is not the time to turn a blind eye and say 'I can't see it effecting many people' at all! For one thing this will irritate many who want to, for example, refill a quencher while they're walking around the park.

This is more than that though. This is a worrying trend. This isn't even something only happening off peak as some outlets are shut permanently! A theme park that has to resort to these drastic cuts is in trouble. This is a downward spiral and it's starting to spin incredibly fast...

We can't be complacent about this... This is worrying news indeed, no matter how much positive thought we put to it.

Closing outlets entirely? It sounds like Alton Towers are in serious crisis.

mrbrightside said:
Matty said:
Satch said:
smudge said:
I don't think they are on a downward spiral per-se, but more of a slump. At the end of the day they are investing £20m next year, this wouldn't be happening if m£rlin knew, or even thought, the park was on a "downward spiral."

Perhaps it is more down to Spinball Noodles, Rehydrator, Rita Shop, Towers Family Restaurant & Kiosks not supporting themselves. After all, isn't that what they are supposed to do? If they are running at a loss, then, hell yeah, close them, but if they are running a profit, then why would they close them? Obviously not to save money...
Tom said:
AstroDan said:

Spinball Noodles. Closed entirely.

Rehydrator. Closed entirely.

Rita Shop. Closed, photo's only.

Towers Family Restaurant. Closed after midday.

Kiosks - range of closures and reduced hours.

Karts - range of cuts.

Entertainment - the acorn character is cut.

It is now quite clear that these are the worst days for Alton Towers in the past ten years. The theme park is unable to run itself and, with gate prices having recently risen, the value aspect is slipping.

Thanks Dan, and these changes are to take place each day until season close?

You really don't think they are on a downward spiral? That list is two F&B outlets and one retail outlet, plus another one cut after operating for 3 or 4 hours. Then we have several of the sales points of food and retail cut across the park. And to top it off, entertainments that are promoting the much unsung new attraction Ice Age 3 cutt.

This is bad. This is very bad.

They are only cutting part of the promotion for Ice Age as they will still have the squirrel! Also there are plenty of other shops and food outlets about so no one will really notice a difference i dont think. They wont be closing these if they were really popular and made big profit so i cant see if affecting too many people!
This is not the time to turn a blind eye and say 'I can't see it effecting many people' at all! For one thing this will irritate many who want to, for example, refill a quencher while they're walking around the park.

This is more than that though. This is a worrying trend. This isn't even something only happening off peak as some outlets are shut permanently! A theme park that has to resort to these drastic cuts is in trouble. This is a downward spiral and it's starting to spin incredibly fast...

We can't be complacent about this... This is worrying news indeed, no matter how much positive thought we put to it.

Then why are they spending 20million on a new attraction if they are in trouble?

Ollie said:
The Rita shop is strange - how can they just close one side? You pay at the same desk for photos and gifts? Closing Spinball Noodles really is unacceptable also, people use that to get a drink while kids play and is busy after about 11am.

I was there Wednesday, the Rita shop had the shutter down on the one side so only photos was accessible.

Also the coke refill station, Ben & Jerry's, the ice cream / drink shop outside dual, spinball noodles, the guest services / fast track booth near x sector, almost all the carts selling food and gifts, the face painting stalls etc all closed and I only saw one entertainment character ass day long.

Given that it was actually a warm day for once I'd have expected the ice cream shops to be open!

Bad times. But I was discussing with one of the managers in the hotel, Alton has had a very bad season so far with the almost constant wet weather and high winds earlier in the season, that has had a massive effect on gate figures and in turn revenue.
I don't like it one bit but I can kind of understand there decision to make cut backs.

Then why are they spending 20million on a new attraction if they are in trouble?

Precisely, they in ain't trouble in terms of struggling for survival. It's just changes ordered by fat cats and accountants that see a potential for savings to be made. Optimal income at all times is all they care about.

Ironically, I think within the next 12 months, they will destroy the guest experience so much that they will REALLY be hit in the pocket.

Matty said:

because if they don't invest further in new rides and technology they will fall behind other parks, visitor figures drop further and so on.

Drayton manor went through the same thing about 15 years ago and were struggling to stay in the top ten parks I was a tam leader there at the time :-(

Tom said:
Precisely, they in ain't trouble in terms of struggling for survival. It's just changes ordered by fat cats and accountants that see a potential for savings to be made. Optimal income at all times is all they care about.
The issue is that Merlin put all their resorts under one budget... Towers could be doing fine but if other parks aren't then it faces cuts to help the other parks out. They don't budget individually... Some accountant somewhere has one budget for the whole theme park division and these cuts are proof that it. Does. Not. Work.

The worrying thought is, where will this end?

mrbrightside said:
Tom said:
The issue is that Merlin put all their resorts under one budget... Towers could be doing fine but if other parks aren't then it faces cuts to help the other parks out. They don't budget individually... Some accountant somewhere has one budget for the whole theme park division and these cuts are proof that it. Does. Not. Work.

Indeed, Merlin is the group and the operating company and accountants are simply concerned with making Merlin as a whole look as appealing as possible to potential investors ahead of a stock market flotation within the next year or two. Much worse is to come when they actually have shareholders to please.

I may as well post this here too, but yesterday we went to the Water Park and there was a sign that said the outdoor slides close at 3:00pm. Okay, a bit ridiculous, but whatever. But they actually closed the the slides at 2:45pm, 15 minutes earlier than they'd stated.

:/

Wow really, really bad times. I thought with the selected rides opening later that it would be it for cost cutting on a customer basis but to shut food outlets and the like then things really are going to start affecting peoples day. If you say to someone that isn't into Theme Parks or the know and say the cost to get into Alton Towers they will always complain that its to much and that they put it up again. Now with even less ride time and even less choice of outlets things are just going to get worse.

I really am cringing at all this. Please Merlin just stop it - tell me I'm dreaming this...right?

mrbrightside said:
Tom said:

There is no denying it LOOKS bad, for the park in general, and for m£rlin in general, but if the outlets/shops were making a profit, they would not be shut!

This will end when m£rlin have lowered their operating costs to the target level, set by merlin, whatever that be. (although the share holders will probably never be happy) - and I agree totally with the above.

Not just this industry, but every industry is making cuts. We have seen AT along with other parks make cuts. Some have not worked; they have either been too unpopular with the public, or they were not saving any money, and these decisions have been reversed.

Who's to say this wont be reversed.

I almost agree with this actually (not from a guests perspective) as why on earth would any business keep a part of it open if it wasn't making them money. The only problem is how it is not good walking round the 'UK's biggest' park and seeing shut stalls everywhere, but I would rather that than see the park loosing money and going into liquidation or similar.

At the end of the day people go there for the attractions, not the stalls or food outlets. Yes it can be of an annoyance for some people walking a bit further to another one, but really, maybe if you cant last to the next stall for a fizzy drink, perhaps you are drinking too much. (joke - no offence intended)

These cuts will be 100% necessary. Everyone does this in a funny sort of way, you have your wages, you have your bills, say one month (year for AT) you have a hefty car repair bill (low gate figures for AT) then you make sacrifices elsewhere. But then the following month (year for AT) you can go on as normal. I do believe this is only temporary.

There are factors AT are not directly in control of, but have to deal with all the same.

There are probably hidden agenda's too; for example, m£rlin must operate in debt, they might have to make these cuts to stick within the contract of the lenders agreement, noone knows the full details, but they would not be making these cuts for the sake of it.

But god yes - this is bad news, but not the WORST news i've heard today by any stretch... (by bad news i mean not finishing work on time)

Tom said:
Why on earth would any restuarant be closed at noon?

By the sounds of it the restaurant side of this unit is closing altogether. It'll only be opening until noon to offer a similar selection to what you can find in say Refresh@Ripsaw.

And from past experience, it will save them an awfully large amount of money simply closing the kitchen and restaurant seating. Both in staffing and in electricity costs... plus I should imagine this also means the closure of the set of toilets situated in the back of the restaurant, which will also save a pretty penny.

AstroDan said:

Karts - range of cuts.

And in the dark clouds of bad news, one glorious piece of wonderful news shines out.

This second batch of cuts is exactly what should be getting cut, if something has to be. I agree with the decision, it's not ideal but what has to be done has to be done, and at least it's not a second batch of ride closures. This will have significantly less impact on guest experience.

Words fail me. I can't even rant any more. Towers is dead to me.

This park has been sucked of all but everything that makes it special.

I had planned to visit this year, but I can't be bothered anymore.

Wow, this is a really concerning move by the park. I know the start of the year has been bad for them, I didn't realise it was this bad? :-\

These are some pretty major cuts in terms of offering, especially coming up to the summers months for the likes of Kiosks etc. I bet they now regret removing the vending machines from the Air queue!

To be fair I dont know why Alton has so many shops and food outlets. I mean you often have a shop like the rita one which sells a bit of merch and then drinks and crisps, yet there is a kiosk across from it which sells all the same food (and more), then round the corner is another shop selling all the same food and drinks, go a bit futher and there is a row of vending machines.

Im guessing the places they are closing just dont make much money, I can belive that towers street resturant is empty after midday anyway, and maybe people just dont buy many noodles at the park?