• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am - Reversed

Re: Selected rides opening from 11:00am

mrbrightside said:
Matt H said:
Its only an hour though, if you head over to forbidden valley first thing for example by the time you have gone on Nemesis, Sub Terra and Ripsaw Air will have opened! So people wont have to back track and the only thing i can see this delayed opening time will affect is the order some people will of wanted to go on the rides!
If you're there during ERT then by the time it hits 10 you will have already done Nemmy. A quick ride on Sub Terra won't take you up to 11 o clock and yes, the flats will be open but for people like me who don't like them.- you're stuck. No Skyride. No duel. No rapids. Nothing else down there for an hour! Frustrating indeed!

Yea but your looking at it from the point of view of the few people who have ERT, Alton will be looking at it from the general public's point of view who will be arriving at the park at 10!

Alton Towers continues to hack itself to death, I see.

Just as with the planned Enterprise/Submission closure, it's blatantly obvious that this is about the bottom line - however in this case it's not as if they have an excuse to opportunistically hide behind, they've simply whacked up a spreadsheet and cut down the most expensive-to-run rides. I don't know which is more telling, frankly!

Same thing applies, anyway. Customers aren't stupid. The reason visitor numbers are dropping is because people have had enough of feeling like they've been ripped off. Cutting attraction availability at the start of their busiest period in the season will not resonate well.

Even if you're minded to blame the economy entirely for the slow-down, those who are visiting now wont forget this and when they do have spare pennies again they'll be more likely to stick them together and go elsewhere.

WillPS said:
Alton Towers continues to hack itself to death, I see.

Just as with the planned Enterprise/Submission closure, it's blatantly obvious that this is about the bottom line - however in this case it's not as if they have an excuse to opportunistically hide behind, they've simply whacked up a spreadsheet and cut down the most expensive-to-run rides. I don't know which is more telling, frankly!

Same thing applies, anyway. Customers aren't stupid. The reason visitor numbers are dropping is because people have had enough of feeling like they've been ripped off. Cutting attraction availability at the start of their busiest period in the season will not resonate well.

Even if you're minded to blame the economy entirely for the slow-down, those who are visiting now wont forget this and when they do have spare pennies again they'll be more likely to stick them together and go elsewhere.

I really don't agree with you. PBB operates several of their rollercoasters after 11am including their most popular one, and to my knowledge it hasn't really affected the visitor numbers whatsoever. The situation at AT is completely different, only two of the major coasters are closed and they are in completely different areas meaning it would be unlikely for the majority of people to have ridden them both before 11am anyway. As well as this, I severely doubt that people looking to visit AT will see the website and go "well, we won't be going today or ever again for that matter, because we'll get an hours less riding time on Air and Thirteen!"

It will be of limited impact, if any on the numbers of visitors.

The Psychoaster said:
I really don't agree with you. PBB operates several of their rollercoasters after 11am including their most popular one, and to my knowledge it hasn't really affected the visitor numbers whatsoever. The situation at AT is completely different, only two of the major coasters are closed and they are in completely different areas meaning it would be unlikely for the majority of people to have ridden them both before 11am anyway. As well as this, I severely doubt that people looking to visit AT will see the website and go "well, we won't be going today or ever again for that matter, because we'll get an hours less riding time on Air and Thirteen!"

It will be of limited impact, if any on the numbers of visitors.

Exactly! Couldn't agree more!

James said:
siralgenon said:
What I don't understand is why close the popular attractions?!

I would jump out and assume that Air and Th13teen have the most expensive hardware/software running costs. They are the two most technologically advanced rides on park. So I guess that's why? Although they are only opening an hour (or two) later than usual, so there can't be that much of a cost being saved? Just my guesswork.
Software won't have any cost, but hardware will. Still, surely the far more relevant saving is staff - Thirteen requires a fair number of staff, and Air many more. If you can have them arriving to work later, you save those wages.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am

Matt H said:
mrbrightside said:
Matt H said:
Its only an hour though, if you head over to forbidden valley first thing for example by the time you have gone on Nemesis, Sub Terra and Ripsaw Air will have opened! So people wont have to back track and the only thing i can see this delayed opening time will affect is the order some people will of wanted to go on the rides!
If you're there during ERT then by the time it hits 10 you will have already done Nemmy. A quick ride on Sub Terra won't take you up to 11 o clock and yes, the flats will be open but for people like me who don't like them.- you're stuck. No Skyride. No duel. No rapids. Nothing else down there for an hour! Frustrating indeed!

Yea but your looking at it from the point of view of the few people who have ERT, Alton will be looking at it from the general public's point of view who will be arriving at the park at 10!
The public don't just start arriving from 10 though... If you've been to Towers this season you'll have seen the new ERT system which lets anyone in the park early but makes them wait and form a queue at the queue entrance before the rides open at 10. Far more people will be in the park and on rides at 10 than they used to be.

mrbrightside said:
Matt H said:
mrbrightside said:
Matt H said:

The public don't just start arriving from 10 though... If you've been to Towers this season you'll have seen the new ERT system which lets anyone in the park early but makes them wait and form a queue at the queue entrance before the rides open at 10. Far more people will be in the park and on rides at 10 than they used to be.

Not enough people to justify opening it at 10 though otherwise they wouldn't be doing this!

I am slightly astounded that some users think this is an acceptable practice. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the park has increased prices at the start of the season, then increased again for summer, has reduced about 30+ dates in September - October to 4pm close and now this.

I am not looking at this from an enthusiast point of view either. As I have an annual pass I can go when I want and not have to worry about queues etc. I am worried what the park is doing to itself, the general perception of guests and most importantly, its reputation . The number one theme park in the UK should not have to resort to this. Other parks (Pleasure Island, Lightwater Valley, Fantasy Island) can get away with this because they dont get the numbers through the door that Alton does.

Also remember the amount of people which now benefit from ERT... Hotel guests, annual pass holders, groups and people booking online. I think we all have noticed that the ERT is busier this year than other years, so people do get to the park early and its not just us enthusiasts. Rita has been busy during ERT on my visits this year whereas previous years I have been able to get many re-rides. Maybe the n numbers of people taking advantage of ERT has actually pushed down the numbers of fastracks being sold???

Of course this would all have been come up with by a few spreadsheet pushers. This is how they would have worked this out. I dont know numbers, but say 100 staff are affected....

Well this change will affect 100 staff. Say the average rate of pay is £6.50, thats a whopping great saving of £650 per day, over 100 days thats £65,000 saving just in staff costs alone.... !! Whoo hooo

However looking at this in cold hard facts... £650 per day is the equivalent of 15 full price admissions or 30 people using bogof's. Not a great saving really is it, for a reduced customer experience???

I hope they know what they are doing with this decision... I really do !!!!

Matt H said:
mrbrightside said:
Matt H said:
mrbrightside said:
Matt H said:

Not enough people to justify opening it at 10 though otherwise they wouldn't be doing this!

Well the reason this is happening is the park want to cut costs and save money. Most days, especially weekends, the park is really busy come 10am as people want to make the most of their day. Like Scott has mentioned all the big rides that aren't part of ERT have large queues ready for them opening at 10, so the footfall is their however because they want to save money, they have reduced the 10am ride opening lineup.

PeteA said:
However looking at this in cold hard facts... £650 per day is the equivalent of 15 full price admissions or 30 people using bogof's. Not a great saving really is it, for a reduced customer experience???
You may think that isn't much of a saving but forget reduced customer experience, I feel for the staff who will be greatly affected by that and rely on every penny for cost of living. :(

PeteA said:
I am slightly astounded that some users think this is an acceptable practice. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the park has increased prices at the start of the season, then increased again for summer, has reduced about 30+ dates in September - October to 4pm close and now this.

Why isn't it an acceptable practice? The cost of everything is going up! Power, food, fuel, etc and like every other company in the UK savings are having to be made! Alton would not be delaying the opening of these two rides if it would affect great numbers of people in a big way. The fact is its an hour! There are plenty of other rides on the park that will be open at 10.

I dont think anyone really likes this idea but Merlin have proved they are going to keep demanding cuts and i think people are just expressing that this is better than the previous attempts.

I personally think its all wrong, they need to cut prices to get people through the gate and spending. A person getting in for £15 will spend more than the person who doesnt go because of the price.

My BIG concern is that this wont be a temporary measure and will continue next season too!

Aly said:
Matt H said:
mrbrightside said:
Matt H said:
mrbrightside said:
Matt H said:

Well the reason this is happening is the park want to cut costs and save money. Most days, especially weekends, the park is really busy come 10am as people want to make the most of their day. Like Scott has mentioned all the big rides that aren't part of ERT have large queues ready for them opening at 10, so the footfall is their however because they want to save money, they have reduced the 10am ride opening lineup.

I understand what you mean so maybe there plan would work a lot better if they implemented it during off peek days! So during the peek weekends and summer holiday have all rides open at 10 and then during off peek times have these two major rides open an hour later.

Matt H said:
PeteA said:

Why isn't it an acceptable practice? The cost of everything is going up! Power, food, fuel, etc and like every other company in the UK savings are having to be made! Alton would not be delaying the opening of these two rides if it would affect great numbers of people in a big way. The fact is its an hour! There are plenty of other rides on the park that will be open at 10.

Ok, here is a question, does anyone actually know if Alton is losing money each day? Or is it a case of just milking more money to make the parent look more attractive as an investment? There is a big difference. IF the park is losing money left right and centre then sure they have to do it. If it isnt, then its pure greed. This is my point. This is also happening at the other Merlin parks in the UK (anyone know if this is the case for the other parks around the World), so does this indicate that none of the parks are making money, or is again, just greed? If they are all losing money, then where are the £millions of profit coming from?

They know they cannot increase parking to £7 and £17... This is an alternative...

Mattiaaa said:
You may think that isn't much of a saving but forget reduced customer experience, I feel for the staff who will be greatly affected by that and rely on every penny for cost of living. :(

Of course you are completely correct. There are also other peoples lifes what are being affected by this, the employee's, who I am sure are not happy with reduced wages for an extra hour in bed.

Again, if these decisions are not needed and they arent losing money everyday, then its even more annoying.

PeteA said:
Matt H said:
PeteA said:

Ok, here is a question, does anyone actually know if Alton is losing money each day? Or is it a case of just milking more money to make the parent look more attractive as an investment? There is a big difference. IF the park is losing money left right and centre then sure they have to do it. If it isnt, then its pure greed. This is my point. This is also happening at the other Merlin parks in the UK (anyone know if this is the case for the other parks around the World), so does this indicate that none of the parks are making money, or is again, just greed? If they are all losing money, then where are the £millions of profit coming from?

They know they cannot increase parking to £7 and £17... This is an alternative...

Course they wont be losing money but its a business and its all about meeting targets and profit margins. Same as everything else! In a perfect world they should eat into there profit margins to make the whole day/experience as best as possible but that isn't how business works! So i can see why they are doing it and its the best idea out the ones they have suggested! I just cant see how people can say its going to have a massive impact on there day! Its an hour!

Well thats ok then, they are a business....

However, there is no business if you have no customers. There is a vicious cycle which HAS started at Alton. Reduced customer service = reduced customer satisfaction, which in turn results in loss of customers. Make some more cuts = reduced customer service etc etc

But hey its only an hour after all isnt it.... Well two if you visit in September on a 4pm close ;)

Lets hope it doesnt back fire on them eh? My bet is that it will.

PeteA said:

However, there is no business if you have no customers. There is a vicious cycle which HAS started at Alton. Reduced customer service = reduced customer satisfaction, which in turn results in loss of customers. Make some more cuts = reduced customer service etc etc

But hey its only an hour after all isnt it.... Well two if you visit in September on a 4pm close ;)

Yeah but at the same time, as a business they need to make a balanced decission so that the business can continue to operate, and make enough money to substain its long term future and development plan.

PeteA said:

Yea but i cant see people deciding not to come cause two rides will open an hour later! Are you going to stop going cause air and thirteen open an hour later? I know i wont because i can go on other rides then go on those. What about the Flume and Rapids? They open later than other rides!

If is does back fire on them and they find people not coming cause of it they will soon change it back, its all about trail and error but i cant see it being a problem.

I guess that another cost cutting exercise would arise sooner rather than later. However, I have to say, this is an absolutely awful method of clawing back even more money.

The Alton Towers experience is now inflated Gate price for effectively less entertainment. What's going to happen on those already ridiculusly short Septembet days, where the park closes at four? Two hours less of some main attractions, for the same price?

Somehow, I don't think so!

Re: Re: Selected rides opening from 11:00am

mrbrightside said:
Fredward said:
To be honest, blind Merlin haters are just as annoying as blind Merlin fanboys.
But it isn't 'blind Merlin haters' is it? This is a decision which is admittedly the best they have come up with, but it is a decision that should not be happening at the UKs top theme park whose parent company want to compete at the highest level!

It's not blind hate, just logical.

To be fair... That was meant as a jibe to slightly antagonise Diogo... ;)