• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am - Reversed

Selected rides opening from 11:00am

Hang on, by closed entirely, do you mean just that? That's absolutely disgraceful.

Re: Selected rides opening from 11:00am

It's a surprise when revenue and profit creating places are closed, as surely they cover their own costs, particularly during busy periods.

Alton Towers is going to look worse than Dudley High St soon with the amount of things closed

AstroDan said:
Rita shop requires a member of staff, which obviously they cannot afford.

It is so petty, they're on such tight margins...

Hey Dan... I mentioned this earlier in the topic, but do you know if this cost cutting situation is because the park are losing money or is it because they have been given targets by Merlin that they are not meeting?

I ask as this is two completely different scenarios. If its because the park is losing money, then so be it, they have to do whatever to keep the park running, if its the latter, then its a different ball game.

:-\

I can't understand how a shop needs to close to save costs. It costs about £40 to pay one person minimum wage to man it for a day. Surely it would take many times that in profit?

The park operates as an agent for Merlin Attractions, and are considered part of a budget that is shared between Towers, Chessington and Thorpe Park. As such, none are considered a separate entity on the books, and are a consolidated balance sheet that form a larger financial picture.

The park itself is not losing money, but there is little tangible worth to the park. It operates at a loss, but is not making a loss.

What it seems to me is Merlin are hoping that if all three parks are under one budget, then on the books there can be tighter controls over expenditure. However, all three are far too big to control this and it doesn't work in practice

I can only assume that since Rita doesn't actually force you to go through the shop when you leave the ride that it gets less footfall and is less profitable than other ride exit shops. If anyone really wants any Rita merch they can get it from Towers Trading.

As for food outlets, they're obviously trying to concentrate guests onto the rest of the outlets, with a fixed number of people in the park there's only so much food they can possibly buy, so theoretically takings should increase at the remaining units.

AstroDan said:
The following cuts are also to take effect from Monday:

Spinball Noodles. Closed entirely.

Rehydrator. Closed entirely.

Rita Shop. Closed, photo's only.

Towers Family Restaurant. Closed after midday.

Kiosks - range of closures and reduced hours.

Karts - range of cuts.

Entertainment - the acorn character is cut.

It is now quite clear that these are the worst days for Alton Towers in the past ten years. The theme park is unable to run itself and, with gate prices having recently risen, the value aspect is slipping.

Thanks Dan, and these changes are to take place each day until season close?

Tom said:
I can't understand how a shop needs to close to save costs. It costs about £40 to pay one person minimum wage to man it for a day. Surely it would take many times that in profit?

Maybe in these lean times, people have lowered the amount they spend on goods. Or It could also be that the GP have cottoned on to the great money grab, and are replying by buying less.

Well unless they bring out an updated map reflecting all of these cuts, I think the park is on a downward spiral in quite a big way.

Tom said:
Well unless they bring out an updated map reflecting all of these cuts, I think the park is on a downward spiral in quite a big way.

Surely they will, they can't have stuff on the map that's not open on park.

I don't think they are on a downward spiral per-se, but more of a slump. At the end of the day they are investing £20m next year, this wouldn't be happening if m£rlin knew, or even thought, the park was on a "downward spiral."

Perhaps it is more down to Spinball Noodles, Rehydrator, Rita Shop, Towers Family Restaurant & Kiosks not supporting themselves. After all, isn't that what they are supposed to do? If they are running at a loss, then, hell yeah, close them, but if they are running a profit, then why would they close them? Obviously not to save money...

Parks have to invest in new attractions. They dont, people wont go. Example = American Adventure

I also sincerely doubt that £20m is the cost of the new attraction. This will also have other costs associated in it, ie marketing.

AstroDan said:
Not the acorn?! :(

Seriously though, this is appalling. All of these things will just be sitting shut - even on really busy days! It's going to look terrible and is for such a small saving that it's absolutely ridiculous.

If the park cannot run itself fully these are dark and worrying times.

smudge said:
Perhaps it is more down to Spinball Noodles, Rehydrator, Rita Shop, Towers Family Restaurant & Kiosks not supporting themselves. After all, isn't that what they are supposed to do? If they are running at a loss, then, hell yeah, close them, but if they are running a profit, then why would they close them? Obviously not to save money...

I imagine it will be down to this, if these things were making a profit then there is no way Alton would be closing them! So fair enough! Yea its going to look bad but no point wasting money on something which is costing them.

smudge said:
I don't think they are on a downward spiral per-se, but more of a slump. At the end of the day they are investing £20m next year, this wouldn't be happening if m£rlin knew, or even thought, the park was on a "downward spiral."

Tom said:
AstroDan said:

Karts - range of cuts.

It is now quite clear that these are the worst days for Alton Towers in the past ten years. The theme park is unable to run itself and, with gate prices having recently risen, the value aspect is slipping.

You really don't think they are on a downward spiral? That list is two F&B outlets and one retail outlet, plus another one cut after operating for 3 or 4 hours. Then we have several of the sales points of food and retail cut across the park. And to top it off, entertainments that are promoting the much unsung new attraction Ice Age 3 cutt.

This is bad. This is very bad.

Why on earth would any restuarant be closed at noon?

These closures are going to increase queue times elsewhere. The pizza and pasta buffet can already barely cope, even on quiet days.

ok, so its ride air / thirteen or eat. i can see pack lunches making a big reappearance.

Satch said:
smudge said:

Tom said:
AstroDan said:

Karts - range of cuts.

You really don't think they are on a downward spiral? That list is two F&B outlets and one retail outlet, plus another one cut after operating for 3 or 4 hours. Then we have several of the sales points of food and retail cut across the park. And to top it off, entertainments that are promoting the much unsung new attraction Ice Age 3 cutt.

This is bad. This is very bad.

They are only cutting part of the promotion for Ice Age as they will still have the squirrel! Also there are plenty of other shops and food outlets about so no one will really notice a difference i dont think. They wont be closing these if they were really popular and made big profit so i cant see if affecting too many people!

For now I'm just going to say this, these are very sad times indeed.

:(