• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Self-Defence

Harv

TS Member
I've just seen a report on a local farmer who fired his shotgun at a burglar last year, after discovering the intruder attacking his mother. He had his weapons confiscated by police but is now claiming that he cannot make a living as the shotguns were necessary to his farming career.

I wondered what everyone on here thinks of self-defence; if a burglar entered your house and threatened your loved ones, how would you react, keeping the law in mind?

I personally don't know what I'd do, I think it's a tricky one but no doubt people on here know how they'd act. It'd be interesting to see if anyone has any ideas. :)

It's hard to say what you would do, unless you were in that situation.

I think that the law has been change recently that if proven they were shout facing yourself it's class as self defence.

But my opinion they are in your home and potential harming your family it's right

If someone is causing you harm or about to, you have every right to defend yourself.

Within reason mind. You can't shoot everyone who bumps into you in public.

In the case of the farmer, I don't advocate killing someone, but if you break into someone's house and threaten them, you can't really blame them when they shoot you. The farmer was at risk, he took action.

Just read that farmer confiscation report - unfortunately, it was at The Daily Mail, here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2327556/Farmer-accuses-police-acting-illegally-refuse-hand-shotgun-fired-thief.html

Seems unfair that the police have taken all of his weapons away, but it also seems massively mental to fire a shotgun at a bloke that's just nicked some cable. Anyway, he got off, fair enough.

One of the weakest Tory drives of last year was when the party claimed to be changing the law on self defence. There have been extremely minimal prosecutions for home owners killing in self defence, with weapons or otherwise. I'd say the law has been pretty sensible about it. It's a bit sticky, this topic, though. Theft and intrusion are dreadful feelings, but I don't know if I'm keen on the idea of unloading a bullet in anyone's back.

I wouldn't want to shoot someone, but if I owned a gun and someone was robbing something of value to me, I can't say I would just sit back and watch...

If someone breaks into your home with intent, they lose all rights. You should be able to do whatever you like to them, without fear of prosecution.

I'm not up to date with what the laws dictate currently about self defence in your own home, so keeping that in mind...

I think killing an intruder who has stolen property is a tad extreme. But I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to take them on if you're the type of person who would do so. They're in your house, they've got your stuff, you should have every right to fight for your own property if you want to. Personally, I think (although I've never been in that situation) I wouldn't risk getting maimed/maiming someone for the sake of some objects.

Self defence against physical harm however is a whole other thing. If someone was a threat to my personal safety or the safety of a loved one, I'd like to be able to defend myself (and win) in whichever way is appropriate at the time. Something I've never understood is that you have to "prove" that you were in danger if you do retaliate, how can you? I'm not going to approach a trespasser and ask them if they intend to rape or murder me or harm me in any way ("oh and by the way, can you write your answers down and sign it"). That's always puzzled me.

Thing is, its a split second decision. You use a shotgun as part of your living, you know how to use a shot gun. See someone that threatens harm on you or others, see shot gun. Decision is made instantly. You don't have time to way the decision its instinct.

Fight or flight really. The person shouldnt have been on their property anyway. I personally believe if anyone breaks in illegally on private owned land. They are taking the risk. Same way if you break into a railway area you run the risk of dying by getting hit by a train.

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'do what you like to them', that could be a bit extreme, but if you are personally in danger, and restraining them isn't an option, you should be able to fight back, in whatever way is necessary.

Alastair said:
If someone breaks into your home with intent, they lose all rights. You should be able to do whatever you like to them, without fear of prosecution.

Within reason surely...

I would say anything to disable the intruder is OK - For example; hit intruder with weapon / punched them until they were 'down' (so you can restrain until police arrive) is reasonable, but then to either carry on punching them until they were brain damaged or "call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' n*ggers, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch," is slightly OTT!

''Yes officer, this young lady broke in, honestly. She had no rights so me and a few mates had our merry way with her. Honest.''

Although if the laws regarding this stuff were relaxed, it would make dealing with religious groups doorstepping me at 8 on a Sunday morning VERY different...

As soon as someone enters my property, without permission, with the aim of causing myself or my loved ones harm, they will loose all rights, and I would do whatever it would take, even if that means killing them, to protect myself and my loved ones. Because if I didnt, I could, or my loved ones could be the ones who end up being the ones killed.

GaryH said:
As soon as someone enters my property, without permission, with the aim of causing myself or my loved ones harm, they will loose all rights, and I would do whatever it would take, even if that means killing them, to protect myself and my loved ones. Because if I didnt, I could, or my loved ones could be the ones who end up being the ones killed.
Agreed and well said.

-Sent from a mobile phone-