• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Serious questions and musings

What makes me laugh is that out of me and my best mate, when we were younger, I had the hair while he had a buzz cut. Fast forward a quarter century, and I'm a cueball, while he looks like Gandalf. 🤣

EDIT: I'm very jealous that the grey patch on his magnificent beard is perfectly central.

I'll own up to that. In the late 90's/early 2000's, I had long curtains (undercut in the 90's), down to my cheeks. I used to straighten them and they were bleached bright yellow. T'was stylish at the time.

Luckily, despite such hair abuse, I've got a full head of hair coming up for 42.

Just.......

I'm blessed with having stupidly straight hair and a large head. No hair style would suit. Plus the only barber in village was always shaking from the alcohol consumed the night before. Short back and sides and a fuck up on top was all he could really do.

Didn't stop me trying. For ages I tried to get it like Noel Gallagher or Gaz from Supergrass Ended up once paying £20 at a hair studio In Leeds because I wanted to look like Paul Weller In the Going underground video. (I had a mod phase.) Which went well, till I woke up the next day and hadn't a clue how to get it back like that.

Here's one for you.

Ive been trying to remember a TV show from the late 90s early 00s. Not even sure if it was a series. But for the life of me I can't remember the name. I think it was early 00s as it would be coat tailing the hype of 9/11.

The programme was basically a government cobra meeting. Sat at large desk in front of a huge TV screen. I remember a terrorist episode and a weather emergency in London. Usual thing, 4 random folk and actors over hamming their roles as government advisors.

Can anyone remember the name of this programme?.

Here's one for you.

Ive been trying to remember a TV show from the late 90s early 00s. Not even sure if it was a series. But for the life of me I can't remember the name. I think it was early 00s as it would be coat tailing the hype of 9/11.

The programme was basically a government cobra meeting. Sat at large desk in front of a huge TV screen. I remember a terrorist episode and a weather emergency in London. Usual thing, 4 random folk and actors over hamming their roles as government advisors.

Can anyone remember the name of this programme?.
Sounds like Crisis Command – Could You Run the Country? (BBC 2004)

Sounds like Crisis Command – Could You Run the Country? (BBC 2004)
Yup. I worked on that!
We shot it in real time over about four hours without a single pause. Very knackering to say the least. I even managed to snag an un-edited copy of the raw footage on a VHS. Dunno if I still have it though. But it was fascinating to see just how dumb these "look how rich I am" banker types really are when confronted with actual choices to make.
Many thousands of Londoners died because they spend too long arguing over a simple "trolly problem"... multiple times in a row! :p

Yup. I worked on that!
We shot it in real time over about four hours without a single pause. Very knackering to say the least. I even managed to snag an un-edited copy of the raw footage on a VHS. Dunno if I still have it though. But it was fascinating to see just how dumb these "look how rich I am" banker types really are when confronted with actual choices to make.
Many thousands of Londoners died because they spend too long arguing over a simple "trolly problem"... multiple times in a row! :p
I love the small world crossovers on here!

For years I thought I made this programme up.

After 9/11 I remember a load of programming being made about "isn't being in government really, really hard."

Enjoyed watching these when they first came on. The episode where it rained a lot sticks out. At some point they had a colossal rollicking, the general tone of rollicking was "well done retards, you've flooded the London underground."

The terrorist attack one also featured that. A train had been bombed while under the Thames, south of Embankment.* The tunnel was in danger of collapse. They had the choice to close the floodgates (Which FYI, have not been servicable since the end of the cold war), but dithered on it.
I think it ended with a hijacked plane crashing in to "Big Ben" because they didn't want to shoot it down.

Like I said, it was essentially one "trolly problem" after another: Sacrifice a couple of hundred people to save many thousands. It's a no-brainer. But no one wanted to be "that guy".

* This was a couple of years before the co-ordinated tube bombings.

Last edited:
I watched the plague epidemic episode last night. One bloke clearly thought "send the army in, shoot if needs be. It's only scousers affected."

What it did was remind me of just how slow our government reacted to COVID.