• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Shrek's Adventure London

Exactly. There hasn't been a Disney Snow White film since 1937 and Disney recently spent $100,000,000 doing a ride based on the characters.

The fact there has been a HUGE demand for the Premium MAP tickets for SHREK proves there is a demand.

I am going tomorrow - so I will share my thoughts; I am excited to see what they've come up with.

A couple of thoughts:

1) The walk to the bus station is very long and has some quite fun moments along the way (and 4 photos to be taken; three in front of the green screen and one in front of a lovely onion carriage). The entrance queue basically screams Harry Potter/Kings Cross. I dread to think how long the walk to the first show will take with groups - but they're doing groups of 35/45 - so that's quite good!

2) The 4D ride is amazing. AMAZING. The wrap around screen is very impressive and the fact that all the dreamworks characters make an appearance is fun. I wanted a bit more rocking on the bus ride - but I'd have to go again to properly experience it. My jaw was too much on the floor to really take it all in! Bravo SimWORX!

3) The shows are fun. They're quite dungeon like - but there's a stronger through story line in so much that some members of the group are given items to create a potion at the end. The kids will LOVE it! There are some jokes in there for the adults too - and it's a lot funnier than I thought it would have been.

4) The mirror maze is of a good size - with some nice magic mirror visuals.

5) There are some very clever moments involving a furball and an onion in two separate scenes - which really made me blink in shock! Great stuff!

So there are some thoughts. I don't know if it will merit multiple viewings as I don't see how they can update it in the future. Maybe have snow up at Christmas or something... or do shows based around Shrek The Halls or Scared Shrekless.

I'd be very interested to see how it will handle with large crowds. The fact that the 2nd time I went around with James... it was just me and James! It made for a very surreal experience! However in the first group - the kids' faces were just all smiles. This will be a huge hit for families and that's what the Southbank is for.

It's the best theming Merlin have ever done; the details are just astonishing. I don't know if that's Dreamworks' demands - but there's so much to look at! Smells galore (hold your nose in the first scene in Far Far Away!)

So - overall - very positive. Give it time - they're still working on some effects and moments. Make suer you stand in the centre of the vortex room (and if you've seen a video of Mystic Manor or the queue for Oblivion: The Black Hole - you'll know what effect to expect). I do with they could hide things like projectors, speakers and the emergency exit signs (though green) are still really garish in some places. Damn health and safety.

My gripe is that we see the other dreamworks characters in the first ride and they don't appear again until the Madame Tussauds style exit area.

Anyway - here are some pictures:

11146652_645433386872_5457124146528296726_n.jpg

11665533_645433406832_4345629453806070137_n.jpg
11240780_645433466712_8454461944003086028_n.jpg
10561805_645433501642_3124579115742088572_n.jpg
11666077_645433626392_4571909804116985904_n.jpg

Three seperate green screen photos? Plus a real prop? Are they really that desperate to fleece every last penny fr-

... Sorry, I forgot what company we are talking about for a second.

well - you stand in front of the green screen and they take three photos of you -much like in the dungeons.

Then they try and sell you the book thing at the end. Which, whilst beautiful, are still £25. But - good luck to them! That's picolve for you.

Thanks for that @nickhutson - very interesting to hear that, I look forward to seeing it myself.

Three seperate green screen photos? Plus a real prop? Are they really that desperate to fleece every last penny fr-

... Sorry, I forgot what company we are talking about for a second.
Damn capitalism. I know the photos are a bit painful, but just say no =)

The number of tourists who will lap this kind of stuff up will be vast, so there would be really no point leaving money on the table.

4 photo points is beyond ridiculous though... 2 maybe, but 4? Especially as 3 of them will be the crappy greenscreen ones they're obsessed with...

4 photo points is beyond ridiculous though... 2 maybe, but 4? Especially as 3 of them will be the crappy greenscreen ones they're obsessed with...
It's not ridiculous if people buy them, which they probably will. I almost always say no, unless I'm with someone who may want to buy/see them.

If it's coming together to make a book that's a souvenir, I guess that makes sense.

Yeah - Dungeon does 4 photos. 3 at the beginning (green screen) and then the drop ride. (I am surprised they don't take one on the boat ride, too!).

But - anyway - the attraction itself is a delight!

I thought EPT were in charge of the Midway photography rather than Picsolve? Three green screen photos is definitely overkill.

It's quite a pleasant surprise to see you enjoyed it, I'll consider it when next in the area.

I don't mind photo points as you don't have to buy them and they are usually put on hold areas where you would just be milling about anyway (I do however dislike roving photographers yelling at me on Towers Street).

The Midways always look really good from a theming perspective and this does too. I still think a better IP that suited the area would be better but hey ho.

The theming looks excellent and pretty immersive. If I get a MAP next year and find myself in London then I'll be sure to give it a go. :)

I still think a better IP that suited the area would be better but hey ho.
What sort of thing are you thinking of? Everything I think of is owned by someone else or otherwise not available.

What sort of thing are you thinking of? Everything I think of is owned by someone else or otherwise not available.

Really? Where is the record of used IP's for leisure attractions :p

Maybe Merlin know something we don't about where the Shrek IP is going in a few years.

Really? Where is the record of used IP's for leisure attractions :p
I'm not sure I know enough IPs to chime in here, but it's fair to stay that a good number of them are owned by companies who operate parks themselves and others are tied up with wider license deals (like Spongebob in the the Nickelodeon one, for instance).

Maybe Merlin know something we don't about where the Shrek IP is going in a few years.
I really think the 5th film will happen, but I am sure it will do more than OK without. Perhaps the musical will return to London after the tour, who knows.

I really think the 5th film will happen, but I am sure it will do more than OK without. Perhaps the musical will return to London after the tour, who knows.
There's a reason the musical didn't even last two years in London. :p

When it comes to £££'s, I don't think the owners of the IP matters that much. After all, Universal are doing a pretty good job with the Warner Bros Harry Potter films...