Shrek's Adventure London

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by bluesonichd, 22nd Jun 2015.

1. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    ^ There's certainly an element of that, but I guess in that case Warner don't have parks that could support something like Potter, because of the scale of the project, financially it made more sense to let Universal take that project forward with their existing properties. The Universal project also allowed them to open their own attraction at Warner Bros. Studios.

I was getting more at the fact that someone like Disney wouldn't be so quick to let a rival operator use one of their IPs (Cars or Monsters Inc, for instance) to create a midway attraction.

2. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

They allow Madame Tussauds to do both a Star Wars and a Marvel area ;-)

Although Star Tours at the Disney parks is very difference to a Madame Tussauds walkthrough.

But some IP holders will allow many people to purchase, Universal have a Shrek 4D attraction but now Merlin have opened the Shrek Adventure so Dreamworks are obviously open to offers.

3. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Indeed, they allow access to IPs within attractions, but they don't allow access to an IP to create a midway attraction, as far as I know :)

4. IanB

IanB TowersStreet Member

Unless anyone is aware of any other Merlin News today, the Share Price has had a nice increase with the opening of the Shrek Attraction.

3.16% increase or 13.5 pence.

Ian

Posted 1st Jul 2015
  5. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Just to note, Merlin have an agreement to open six of these attractions and pay ~5% royalties to Dreamworks.

6. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    In terms of Shrek, on the trading update they said they were "pretty happy, the model will continue to roll out if we can" but there are potentially some issues with the purchase of Dreamworks.

Also, a new midway brand will be debuting in Berlin next year.

7. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Still some uncertainty with regards to how this is performing, given the lack of additional locations (as above) but - I nipped into the shop today on my way back to the office and I saw a good few hundred go through the tills in terms of merchandise, which surprised me - particularly given the discussions in this thread about how Shrek is a dead brand.

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

The role out of any further locations could possibly be due to Universal now owning Dreanworks and Comcast said when purchasing dreamworks One of the big reasons was to intergrate the dreamwork IP's into their parks. I suppose it Depends on the terms of Merlin's agreement.

jon81uk likes this.
  9. Towerslover

Towerslover TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Icon
    Shreks adventure must be making a fortune considering what it is and how much it cost to build! Saying that the rent for those properties can't be cheap! ;)

Long term could shrek be replaced with this new midway brand they are rolling out?

10. Harv

Harv TowersStreet Member

I feel like the plethora of ironic Shrek memes that have emerged in recent years might have given the brand a little bit of a popularity boost.

Towerslover and Plastic Person like this.
  11. Bunny Munro

Bunny Munro TowersStreet Member

Shrek works because it's an IP that everyone knows.

The first film was incredible at the time, however dated it looks now, and the second was certainly watchable.

If you are visiting London and looking good for something to do, something with a recognisable IP is attractive, regardless of how tired the IP is now. And once you are in, of course you'll buy merch.

I don't think anyone can argue that Shrek has no pulling power now, noone is going to London to have a go on the Shrek attraction. But if you are already in London is a pretty safe day out.

Rick and Towerslover like this.