• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Silver Dollar City: General Discussion

Now that's how you make a World's First! Don't just claim 1 but a full handful ;)

Hmmm, this is either going to be incredible or awful! Here is an overview of the layout:

new-footprint.jpg

And some stats/information:
  • INVESTMENT: $26 Million
  • TRACK LENGTH: More than half a mile - 3,020 feet
  • INVERSIONS: THREE - Most Inversions EVER on a Spinning Coaster (one Dive Loop, one Zero-G Roll and one Vertical Loop—first and only in the world)
  • LAUNCH ELEMENTS: Two Linear Synchronous Motor (LSM) Launches (one horizontal and one inclined)
  • RIDE DURATION: 1 minute 57 seconds (Dispatch to stop & unload)
  • VEHICLES/TRAINS: 360° Spinning Vehicles with adjustable magnetic spin control. Total of 3 trains carrying 16 passengers (2 per row; 2 rows per vehicle; 4 per train)
Much more on Silver Dollar City's website.

I like the little nod to Blue Fire in the layout; launch, stall turnaround thingy then loop, that clearly worked well during testing of the ride system.

:)

Been a while since we had an update on this, and testing has now begun:

Rather looking forward to trying this out next year, I can't help but think it's either going to be brilliant or awful.

Bump!

Silver Dollar City have posted a really good video explaining the controlled spinning that takes place on Time Traveler:

The ride is set to open later this month.

Looks fantastic.

With that system it seems theoretically possible to have a set up where the rider decides their own level of spin each ride?

Christ all mighty! This could be the worst ride ever or the best ride ever!!! Take the spinning element out it looks like a great layout

Does it need to spin? What’s the point?

Does anybody else find the President of SDC really quite irritating?

Otherwise, great video!

Also: It is MACK nor MARK. Jeepers.

I fail to see why it must stop on launch 1.

If it was for some dark ride or effect I would get it, but it's not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Indeed, seems very strange that it stops before the first launch and not the second. Hopefully that's something they can get rid of, as otherwise it's looking pretty good!

I believe there was originally supposed to be a show section at that point, but was scrapped due to budget. Not sure why they didn't remove the stop though.

Reactions: Rob
Indeed, seems very strange that it stops before the first launch and not the second. Hopefully that's something they can get rid of, as otherwise it's looking pretty good!

Looking at multiple video's I have concluded that I think the stop for the first launch is to allow for the ride vehicles to stop spinning before it launches as there seems to be more of a spin from the entrance into the launch than when the ride hits the second launch. By the second launch the ride cars are pretty well not spinning - whereas on the first launch there always seems to be one or two of the cars still with a bit of a spin on.

Going along with Brad's point above maybe SDC were looking at a show section to cover this but due to budgets it got scrapped.

Might interest you all to know that the ride is apparently officially opening today (14th March)!

I believe there was originally supposed to be a show section at that point, but was scrapped due to budget. Not sure why they didn't remove the stop though.
Perhaps for pacing/spacing. I don't think it stopping is the end of the world, if you're a little apprehensive about the launch there will be a fair bit of tension brought up there.

Ah well, wouldn't surprise me if Herschend added something in at a later date, if not we can just write them off as an evil company like Merlin who don't care about the quality of their rides blah blah blah :rolleyes:

Perhaps for pacing/spacing. I don't think it stopping is the end of the world, if you're a little apprehensive about the launch there will be a fair bit of tension brought up there.

Ah well, wouldn't surprise me if Herschend added something in at a later date, if not we can just write them off as an evil company like Merlin who don't care about the quality of their rides blah blah blah :rolleyes:
Of course, it looks like a great ride even with the stop. Personally I feel like it kills some of the ride's pacing but I do agree that it probably does add a bit of drama for less seasoned riders. :)