• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Silver Star

I'd put Mir in as intense. I mean it's probably due to the violence but it's an amazing machine.

I'm no fan of Silvia, but I don't hate it. It probably ranks as the 5th best on park, with it sitting at 56 out of 224

Wodan
Mir
Blue Fire
Can Can
Silver Star

Since it opened. The main issue for me is I wish I was 2 stone lighter to benefit from all the airtime.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Got a feeling being heavy is why I can't find these pops of airtime on it. The only real bit for me is after the MCBR. I think my main issue was riding it after Hyperion, given the 16 years of progress between them.

Got a feeling being heavy is why I can't find these pops of airtime on it. The only real bit for me is after the MCBR. I think my main issue was riding it after Hyperion, given the 16 years of progress between them.
I've ridden Steel Vengeance. And many coasters with more airtime than Silver Star.

However, regardless if this - Silver Star has sustained floater on hills and flejector off the MCBR and final hills.

Me, and I'm right. 🤣🤣

In fairness, it's a good few years since I've ridden it, it may well run a lot better now.
I’m not saying you’re wrong; only you can say how it was when you rode it!

Based on my personal experiences, I personally disagree, but only you had the rides on Silver Star that you did to form your opinion, so I’m not going to question you on that by any means!

Sorry to double post, but I was thinking about Silver Star’s queue, or more specifically the speed at which it moves.

Its reputation as a queue muncher is quite prevalent at this point, and I was stunned at how quickly the queue moved; a queue that looked very long in some instances never took any longer than about 15 minutes or so, even when the queue started outside the building and the whole loop around the building on the first level before the station was open. I timed its throughput at about 1,700pph when I was able to watch it out of the window, and the vast majority of its capacity is allocated to the main queue (the number of Virtual Queue users seemed very limited), so I’d imagine its queue must move somewhat faster than most coasters.

With that in mind; how long do you guys reckon a Silver Star queue stretching outside the building, with the whole top level extension loop open, would take on an average Alton Towers coaster?

Me and my mum were trying to work it out when we were queueing for Silver Star, and we guessed that it must have been at least a 40-50 minute queue’s worth of people at Alton Towers. When the impact of additional Fastrack and RAP capacity at Towers is considered, as well as the fact that Silver Star’s throughput is almost 500pph higher than that of Towers’ highest throughput coaster to begin with, I thought that it would be at least 40-50 minutes, possibly getting on for an hour, if it were at Towers.

What do you guys think?

to be precise: Silver Star has no virtual queue.
Silvia does have a virtual queue doesn't it? Or is it absent?
Ah, my mistake; I thought I saw people coming from up the exit on occasion, which I thought was virtual line, but that must have been something else. RAP, perhaps?

In that case then; the entirety of SS’ capacity goes towards main queue!

You only find virtual queues on rides which used to have single rider queues (except for pirates, which I guess they added virtual queue cause it was new, and Euro Mir which you join just outside the station).

The exit is for RAP and Baby Switch. A small number - typically 1 row every 2 or 3 trains on a normal day.

Silver Star to the entrance with all available queue open, including the extra pens at the front, is approx. 45 minutes.

Without exaggeration, taking into account RAP/FT, on a ride such as Smiler this would be 2 1/2 hours.

The exit is for RAP and Baby Switch. A small number - typically 1 row every 2 or 3 trains on a normal day.

Silver Star to the entrance with all available queue open, including the extra pens at the front, is approx. 45 minutes.

Without exaggeration, taking into account RAP/FT, on a ride such as Smiler this would be 2 1/2 hours.

Are “the extra pens at the front” the ones right outside the front of the building, that are there all the time? Or is there a whole different “extension” set that’s put in on peak days? I waited probably no longer than 15-20 minutes for SS on my recent visit, and that is with one of my rides on it having a queue that begun just outside the building.

I wasn’t expecting the discrepancy between SS and a Merlin queue to be quite that big… wow!

Last edited:
Are “the extra pens at the front” the ones right outside the front of the building, that are there all the time? Or is there a whole different “extension” set that’s put in on peak days? I waited probably no longer than 15-20 minutes for SS on my recent visit, and that is with one of my rides on it having a queue that begun just outside the building.

I wasn’t expecting the discrepancy between SS and a Merlin queue to be quite that big… wow!
You don’t always realise on Silverstar that is actually has quite a few queue opens. There are the extensions at the start of the queue. You then sometimes will go straight in and straight up the stairs to the station. On busier days the queue will go upstairs but then also round the upstairs before going in to the station, or if it’s proper busy it can also go outside upstairs and then back inside before heading to the station!

You don’t always realise on Silverstar that is actually has quite a few queue opens. There are the extensions at the start of the queue. You then sometimes will go straight in and straight up the stairs to the station. On busier days the queue will go upstairs but then also round the upstairs before going in to the station, or if it’s proper busy it can also go outside upstairs and then back inside before heading to the station!
So SS has an outside queue extension upstairs? I certainly never knew that... I thought the only outside queue upstairs was where the front row queue is located! I did notice some switchbacks next to that, but I assumed they were extensions for the front row queue.

Yes there is an outdoor section upstairs only short mind, we queued through the whole interior/ exterior/ external queue and then back to the entrance of the then Eurosat… 45mins mind