• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Silver Star

I have a question about Silver Star.

The ride is well known for its obscene throughput; I myself timed it at 1,716pph last April (across an average of 9 dispatches), and indeed, its RCDB theoretical throughput is 1,750pph, which equates to a train roughly every 74s or 48-49 trains per hour.

However, I was doing a little bit of throughput timing based off of this reverse POV of Silver Star from 2013, as I noticed that the dispatch intervals looked particularly fast:

At one interval, the train in front was hitting the final brake run only around 10 seconds before the train behind descended down the first drop. At another interval, the train behind was seen to be halfway down the first drop while the train in front was still on the first block in the final brake run.

I timed these intervals, and they were approximately 68-69s and 69-70s respectively. Assuming the average dispatch interval of these two was 69s, and assuming that this interval was carried on for the full hour, that would equate to approximately 1,878pph, or 52-53 trains per hour (53 for the fastest interval, 52 for the slowest). This beats the RCDB figure by nearly 130pph, and shows the ride to be attaining 4 trains per hour more than RCDB implies.

With this in mind, I have two questions about Silver Star’s throughput:
  1. Across a longer interval, has the ride ever exceeded its theoretical throughput of 1,750pph?
  2. If Silver Star was to run absolutely flat out, with operations being as fast as they could possibly go, would there ever be a period where the station was empty between the 3rd train leaving the station and the 1st train returning to the station? Or would the flow of trains remain constant, with a train always waiting behind the train in the station when it leaves?

The operations in that video aren't even the best Silver Star can achieve - the train briefly stacks at the end of the video, which shouldn't happen if loading is as efficient as it can be. The train behind the station at the start of the video rolls straight in.

I've long suspected that with a baggage store prior to boarding they could push throughputs even higher but TBH there's not a lot of need - it's already one of the highest capacity rides outside of Disney. It's common to see a Europa Street update from the outdoor queue line showing a train near the top of the lift as the previous one enters the brakes.

So overall then, would we say that RCDB's figure of a train every 75s or so can be beaten?