• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Single Rider Queues

Ollie

TS Member
On visiting last Saturday I noticed several times that the single rider lines were way longer than normal, on Rita they played two announcements stating it was more than double the main queue. I used to use these lines, and still do, but now I will only join if there is less than a certain number of people. Some of the changes for this year haven't helped, for example moving Rita's Fastrack and SRQ's to the main thoroughfare of the Dark Forest.

Has anybody else seen that they are busier this year?

The only ride I have seen this particularly noticeable on *is* Rita, though Rita suffers from long queues normally. The new SRQ entrance for the ride is much better positioned, as the Fastrack/SRQ entrance in its old position was well hidden and poorly placed.

I think people are just becoming more savvy with regards to queuing... Maybe people are fed up with the thought of buying a Fastrack to skip a queue and so see SRQ as the easy way out. It's good that it isn't so much of a secret any more though, as it allows for trains to be filled and despatched more efficiently.

Rita tends to always have the worst single rider queue by miles. I will never do it if its anywhere past the bottom of the stairs. The best tends to be TH13TEEN or Nemesis. And at times Sonic can be great. But alot of the time its totally random and really hit a miss.

I was in the Rita SRQ that day. I think it took around 50 mins. But 13's was walk on almost and the same with the rest. Apart from Spinball as the attendant there closed the SRQ and made is wait in the normal queue because it was about 50 mins longer! :eek:

I think people have got wise to Single Rider now. Years ago it was for loners to fill the seats, nowadays you increasingly see groups of people and quite often they do end up sitting together on the B&M rides.

I know it's a benefit but you have to wonder if it's worthwhile cost wise adding extra queue lines and staffing costs when in reality your just moving the same queue to a different position.

:) :)

I've noticed the queue for Sub Terra is appalling, it moves so slowly.. The majority of time, it's longer than the main queue.

In my opinon, it's the worst for single riders, along with Rita and Sonic Spinball.

I agree that the Sub-Terra single rider queue is awful. I tried using it today, waited 15 minutes or so and gave up, it just wasn't moving despite looking really short (there were only 4 or 5 people infront of me).

Some single rider queue on the other hand are fantastic. Nemesis is by far the best, it goes down nice and quickly and is used to fill up empty seats on more trains than not.

:)

I think this was inevitable really. When you're queuing for Spinball (for example) and the same people keep going past you you're going to question what's going on, over time more and more people have discovered SRQ and taken advantage.

There are still several benefits for everyone, SRQs ensures every train will be fully loaded and the throughput of the ride will be slightly increased, whilst simultaneously shortening the main queue a fraction. Whilst SRQs can be longer than main queue, you are not obliged to use them and most enthusiasts will be able to tell which will get them on the ride sooner.

As for N:ST, I've wondered right from the start why they bothered - there should never be more than 1 single rider per cycle, compared to the coasters where there can be 2 or 3 per train.

Single rider queues are always going to be longer with two across seating.

I also think that people are unaware of how much longer it could take and how much the seating configuration will affect their wait,

Two across seating isn't really an issue, every odd numbered group can be paired with a single rider on rides with 2 or 4 across seats. On rides with more than 4 seats per row single rider queues become less effective, as there is potential for 2 odd numbered groups to be paired up - for example on Oblivion a 5 and a 3 can ride together, on any other coaster they'd be paired with 2 single riders.

In my experience, it doesn't tend to work like that. Take two groups of 3 people going on Nemesis and Rita:

Nemesis:
Each group of 3 is assigned to a row, leaving two spare seats for single riders (one on each row)

Rita:
The first group of 3 takes up 1 row and half (one seat) of the next, the second group of 3 takes up the remaining seat and the following row.

The same seems to happen with two odd groups of any number. It's easier to do it this way than to rely on the single rider queue, rightly or wrongly.

Have you not seen this happen?

I've not really noticed, but I guess it could happen if two odd numbered groups are next to each other in the queue, but if there's any even numbered groups in between the groups of 3 tend to stick together leaving space for single riders.

What I have noticed is that groups of 6 sometimes ride as two groups of 3 on Air and Nemesis, which creates 2 single rider spaces which could otherwise be filled by a 2 from the main queue. In theory single rider queues should work exactly the same with either 2 across or 4 across seating

My view on single rider queue's has always been the same! Get rid of them! I find them pointless because most of the time you end up waiting as long as the main queue and why ride on your own when you have come to the park with people you want to spend time with! Bit negative i know but i just dont see the point in them half the time!

Matt H said:
My view on single rider queue's has always been the same! Get rid of them! I find them pointless because most of the time you end up waiting as long as the main queue and why ride on your own when you have come to the park with people you want to spend time with! Bit negative i know but i just dont see the point in them half the time!
A lot of people queue in small groups though so they don't miss out on much... And the queue is useful most of the time for speeding up those who want to ride alone (some people may be the only one in a party wanting to go on a ride).

The one big reason why they should stay? Filling up empty spaces on trains.

Generally, single rider works better on the B&M's, and Oblivion especially. For example, my family (which is 6 people) usually either goes as 3 and 3 (most of the time) or 4 and 2- which can free up spaces for single riders. For Oblivion, which only 4 of my family ride, still leaves 4 spaces on the row. There is usually at least 2 or 3 free spaces (at the least) on each of the B&M's, and that's considerable enough to have the queue.

For the 2 seat rows, it's more complicated. If there even being a space freed up, this can be filled by a group with an odd number of people (such as 3) and so, this takes away the need for single rider. Therefore, the single rider queue is inconsistent for this type of ride.

I don't have a lot of experience of single rider- as have rarely used it- but when I have, I feel like it's much quicker than the regular queues.

on my last trip to towers i saw that more big groups of say 3 or four people were using the single rider queue because they thought it would be quicker then queuing in the main line! There was also a group of four on air who queue in the single rider queue then when they go close to an op, they asked if they could all go together, i don't think they quite understood the single rider queue line idea :p

I've actually found Sub Terra SRQ quite short accordingly, sometimes they let groups of 5 single riders in 1 cycle if the bag room take too long or they have a bigger group in the queue.
Usually there is 1 or 2 per cycle, well used I think, but compare nemesis to Rita and its crazy in terms of the SRQ!

Matt H said:
My view on single rider queue's has always been the same! Get rid of them! I find them pointless because ... why ride on your own when you have come to the park with people you want to spend time with!
...and if you're visiting on your own? Although clearly the majority of people visit in groups, not everyone does.

By rights, Oblivion's should barely move at all if the batcher is doing their job properly. For example, if the first group is a 3 and the second a 4, they should go on different rows (to avoid having 7 on a row). The next odd numbered group would go with the 3 whilst the next group of 4 would be sent to the other to completely fill that row. By loading that way, it should be possible to ensure there is no more than 1 empty space per shuttle.

Nemesis, Air and Spinball do not have such flexibility, so more people should get on via SRQ as a proportion of the total number of riders than on Oblivion. Rides with 2 across seating will depend on how groups are put together - it's theoretically possible for a batcher to maximise main queue throughput by filling the train from both ends simultaneously, even sized groups going to one end and odd sized groups to the other.

As others have mentioned though, SRQs are often used a quick fix to fill any remaining seats rather than going back along the main queue to find a group of a suitable size, resulting in 2 or more people from the SRQ sitting together, which in an ideal situation should never happen!

The best time to take advantage of the SRQ for Sonic Spinball is during miserable weather....which we all know happens a lot here. :p
The main reason for this being that only 3 guests are allowed on each car, since most groups are either a 2 or a 4 (which would normally mean a long wait for SRQ) a single rider gets let on practically every car.