• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill

James

TS Founding Member
From TowersStreet News:

TowersStreet News said:
A new restaurant is due to open on 24th July in the Alton Towers Conference Centre to serve hotel guests during the resort’s busy summer period.

The new restaurant is thought to be located in Sir Algenon’s Lounge at the entrance to the Conference Centre, just off the walkway which links Splash Landings to Alton Towers Hotel. The menu will be based loosely on that of Woodcutters Bar and Grill in the park and will be offering a varied pub-style menu at around £15 a meal.

It is currently unclear whether Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill will be a permanent addition to the hotels’ restaurant line-up, or if it will be a pop-up restaurant to help ease the pressure on the existing restaurants during the busy Summer period. It is also not yet clear how the new restaurant will be affected by events taking place in the Conference Centre itself.

Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill will be the latest in the ever increasing line up of catering options in the hotel complex, following the addition of The Emperor Grill and Flambo’s Coffee Shack in 2011, and the recent refurbishment of Quenchers in Cariba Creek to become the Original Sandwich Co.

Thoughts on this new catering addition to the resort?

I think it's a great idea to add more variety to the hotel line up, as currently the hotel restaurants do not accommodate for all guests and are somewhat limited with there offerings. Although at around £15 a meal I somewhat feel it will again be something that's too expensive for some. What they really need is something cheaper, with meals between £6-£10.

It will probably only be open three days a week, in the middle of the day when everyone is on park, and every other booking will be screwed up.

It shows that they are still adding to the resort never actually ate in the hotel but the wood cutters restaurant is brilliant on park

DiogoJ42 said:
It will probably only be open three days a week, in the middle of the day when everyone is on park, and every other booking will be screwed up.

Ah, the smell of positivity ;)

No, this can only be good. It shows they've still got a bit of cash spare and surely this can't do any damage? It's nice that they've used Sir Algenon in the title too, makes it seem a bit more 'Alton'.

It sounds nice, I know in the summer months most of the restaurants are all very busy and booked up. It will also be nice to have some more simple pub grub type meals.

They could really do with a proper permanant restaurant rather than using conferance rooms, as when there is a big conferance the restaurant will just be closed.

Given how well they run Emperor's, a permanent outlet, I question how well they can run what potentially may be a temporary outlet...

But Emperors isnt exactly permanent, its only opened during peak times and people can still hire the room out any time have clear all the stuff out.

Emperors is a temporary-permanent restaurant, designed to be put up and down depending on the amount of bookings.

I would assume that Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill will be a temporary restaurant to be used during the summer months only. If it proves to be popular then there may be a possibility of it becoming a permanent fixture (designed like Emperors). Although that is all a wild guess. No specific details other than those highlighted in our news article have been released/are known at the moment.

I can see the reason why another venue has been added, and I *really* want to applaud alton for the decision.
But after the shambolic Emperors fiasco I have 0% faith in this working well.

At present Emperors is meant to be the top-end eating venue of the resort but cancels at the last second, fails to deliver meals and is just a joke - aiming even lower how can they expect to do any better?

Im all for expansion but this seems to be targeted to fail.

The prices are still too much. They already have three expensive restaurants.

What's needed at the resort is a Silver Lake Saloon-style cheap and cheerful place, doing good pub grub, for maybe £6-8 for a main course.

Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill

They need a budget option... Or even a 'light snacks' option. I know that Dragon Bar will make up light things at times on request and Ma's sells pizzas, garlic bread and chips, however they aren't do publicised.

People who have eaten on park may not want a full meal and currently the resort eateries do not pander to the notion of light bites. A reduced price pub grub menu serving cheap and cheerful food alongside toasties, baguettes and other light foods in the evening is needed.

I think light bites or snacks are something the resort side needs to work on. They actually have a decent range of places such as the Ice Cream and Smoothie Parlour, Coffee Shack and Original Sandwich Company. But all of these seem to close just before the Waterpark does (within the hour after the park closes) which means that if you've spent a full day on park they are closed by the time you get back to the hotel.

This was an issue for us this week because we decided to eat at Pizza & Pasta earlier in the day. When we reached the hotels we obviously weren't after another buffet or large meal. We just wanted something simple but none of the small eateries were open.

Although whatever style of food Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill starts serving any improvement on what their currently is sounds like a good thing. I just don't feel another outlet selling full meal's is what they need.

djtruefitt said:
But Emperors isnt exactly permanent, its only opened during peak times and people can still hire the room out any time have clear all the stuff out.

thefatone said:
Emperors is far from permanent. It is exactly what this other restuarant will seemingly be like.

James said:
Emperors is a temporary-permanent restaurant, designed to be put up and down depending on the amount of bookings.
OK, OK, point taken, a pile-on was most definitely not needed.

My point still stands, though, and if anything is strengthened: if they fail so miserably with Emperor's, a similar style restaurant but aimed at the upper end, what chance have they got with this?

I'm with Islander on this. Their track record does not give me much hope.

After the poor experience we had at TT@10, in that the table I was on didn't end up eating in Emperor's, I honestly don't have very much hope at all for this new Bar and Grill. I, and others, were confused as to what was going on, and instead of eating at Emperor's, I had to go to McDonald's instead. :p

If they can't manage Emperor's properly, then I really doubt that Sir Algenon's Bar and Grill will be any better. :-\

Don't hold me against this - I believe that the main idea behind a new restaurant being added to the resort is mainly due to the current hotel restaurants being unable to hold the full hotel guest capacity. So with the busy summer period coming along they are trying something out that will overall aim to attract more hotel guests to stay in and eat. As currently a certain small percentage of guests only eat in the hotels. With another restaurant with different types of meals available it should just do the trick to attract guests who do not necessarily want a buffet or the offerings in the Secret Garden.

Along with a pub style restaurant I at least expect some light meals too. Perhaps things like small salads? Even sandwiches? All it involves is getting a fridge and ordering the same stock they get for the Coffee Shack.

Sam said:

What's needed at the resort is a Silver Lake Saloon-style cheap and cheerful place, doing good pub grub, for maybe £6-8 for a main course.
These are pretty much how my views stand price wise. £15 is still too much. I quoted the price to my parents and their reaction was "So for us [family of four 'adults] it would cost roughly £60!?, are they having a laugh? No one is going to pay that much, it's easier to take some sandwiches with you from home". I believe that if they are going to offer pub food they need pub prices. With Alton Towers, meals at £6-£8 as you have quoted Sam I think would be a good price for them to charge meals. It's a little more expensive than going to your local Wetherspoons yet it's not too cheap for an Alton Towers price.

James said:
Don't hold me against this - I believe that the main idea behind a new restaurant being added to the resort is mainly due to the current hotel restaurants being unable to hold the full hotel guest capacity. So with the busy summer period coming along they are trying something out that will overall aim to attract more hotel guests to stay in and eat. As currently a certain small percentage of guests only eat in the hotels. With another restaurant with different types of meals available it should just do the trick to attract guests who do not necessarily want a buffet or the offerings in the Secret Garden.

Along with a pub style restaurant I at least expect some light meals too. Perhaps things like small salads? Even sandwiches? All it involves is getting a fridge and ordering the same stock they get for the Coffee Shack.

Sam said:

These are pretty much how my views stand price wise. £15 is still too much. I quoted the price to my parents and their reaction was "So for us [family of four 'adults] it would cost roughly £60!?, are they having a laugh? No one is going to pay that much, it's easier to take some sandwiches with you from home". I believe that if they are going to offer pub food they need pub prices. With Alton Towers, meals at £6-£8 as you have quoted Sam I think would be a good price for them to charge meals. It's a little more expensive than going to your local Wetherspoons yet it's not too cheap for an Alton Towers price.

Do you want quality or cost savings? I know this is why I use wood cutters over bk.

Towseriv said:
Do you want quality or cost savings? I know this is why I use wood cutters over bk.

I don't quite understand you?

With £6-£8 for meals you can get quality and a great cost...

James said:
Towseriv said:

I don't quite understand you?

With £6-£8 for meals you can get quality and a great cost...

Yeah but thats not for everyone, some people want a special day and wont mind £15 a meal. I dont want to start a whole debate about something else but I would say it is aimed at the same market that doesn't mind spending £60+ for a F&B/TGI meal