• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill

Towseriv said:
James said:
Towseriv said:
Do you want quality or cost savings? I know this is why I use wood cutters over bk.

I don't quite understand you?

With £6-£8 for meals you can get quality and a great cost...

Yeah but thats not for everyone, some people want a special day and wont mind £15 a meal. I dont want to start a whole debate about something else but I would say it is aimed at the same market that doesn't mind spending £60+ for a F&B/TGI meal
And a meal in Secret Garden can be around £15-20 a head depending on what you have, so the new restaurant isn't *really* aimed at anyone different to what the resort already covers...

I doubt many people would complain about paying £7.95 for some good quality pub grub. If people didn't want cheap, decent quality food then why is Wetherspoon's so popular? Basically, if meals are a similar cost to what is already on resort, then the hotels aren't catering for a new market - which is what they could do through a cheaper / light bites food option...

Towseriv said:
Yeah but thats not for everyone, some people want a special day and wont mind £15 a meal. I dont want to start a whole debate about something else but I would say it is aimed at the same market that doesn't mind spending £60+ for a F&B/TGI meal

As pointed above, the hotels already cater for people that want to pay £15 (and more) for meals.

For me at least, they need something a little cheaper, that can be aimed at a different area of guests that do not currently eat in the hotels. Me and my family have been hotel guests since the 90s and out of the 15 years we've been hotel guests we've only eaten in once or twice. The only reason we do not eat in the hotels currently is because it's too expensive.

It's far cheaper to eat an earlier meal on park, or as we have done since 2005, taken a packed lunch from home. Sure it's not a part of the experience, although with a meal costing us at least £60 it's something that doesn't happily come out our wallets.

I used to work in Wetherspoons, and the reason Wetherspoons is so popular is because they offer good quality food at great prices. Alton Towers could easier offer the same, I know Wetherspoons do a few naughty tricks to make a decent profit - if Alton Towers charged a bit higher, as mentioned several times, at around £6-£8 then you get good quality pub grub, attract different guests, get more guests eating on resort then it's an all round winner.

mrbrightside said:
Towseriv said:
James said:
Towseriv said:
Do you want quality or cost savings? I know this is why I use wood cutters over bk.

I don't quite understand you?

With £6-£8 for meals you can get quality and a great cost...

And a meal in Secret Garden can be around £15-20 a head depending on what you have, so the new restaurant isn't *really* aimed at anyone different to what the resort already covers...

I doubt many people would complain about paying £7.95 for some good quality pub grub. If people didn't want cheap, decent quality food then why is Wetherspoon's so popular? Basically, if meals are a similar cost to what is already on resort, then the hotels aren't catering for a new market - which is what they could do through a cheaper / light bites food option...

I'm noy saying that they have made the correct meal choices for the new restaurant since I have experianced the annoyance of no light bite options in the hotels after a certain time and you end up with a choice of heading back early to have a hotel meal or eat on park but potentially have no lite food options later in the day.

But then what are you saying? xD

Are you saying this is a good idea? That it should be aimed at different people? That people wouldn't use it if it was more 'spoons style'? I'm confused...

I use wood cutters and expect to pay that little bit more for one quality meal over bk or pizza buffet. Pizza is great some times but can get much of a muchness, bk has always seemed a rip off to me.

Both hotel restaurents are not only over crowded (as we all know) but flam doesn't offer quality and secret garden doesn't apeal to me after a full meal during the day. They need to make sure the new offering has more lighter options at a good price.

For the record though I dont think weatherspoons makes value food, they are more like a pub version mc d, which can be good but in balance.

Perhaps they need to re-develop the offering over all?

Re: Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill

The prices are fine . Just looked at menu and mains are £7-£12.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The prices are great pretty much the same as woodcutters hopefully it's the same quilty

There is more selection than Woodcutters along with a range of desserts.

£7-£12 sounds great as the cheapest main available at the Secret Garden on their summer menu is £9.95

It's interesting though that there is no mention of the new restaurant on the Alton Towers website yet.

AstroDan said:
There is more selection than Woodcutters along with a range of desserts.

Ah brilliant could be very popular give guest the chance to have a full on meal instead of a buffet

Quite pleased with those prices - and more selection than Woodcutter's sounds great too. :)

Ate there tonight.

Like Woodcutters but slightly expanded menu. Upsettingly though, the fries are different.

OHHHH but the fries in Woodcutters are amazeballs!! Really quite upset about that!

Looking forward to trying this out - are we absolutely sure this is permanent? It's just that I'm very wary of the Resort's new ventures, what with Emperors...!

Sounds like its impressive could be worth a trip in at the weekend

It is clearly not permanent. It's literally just tables and chairs in the conference centre!

Uch - another let down :(. They need a permanent good value offer like this. Often I'll be happy with a panini or a jacket potato for my dinner, but I would refuse to pay the current resort prices in the restaurants!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I like existing restaurants, but I agree something cheaper is needed.

Sir Algenon’s Bar and Grill

I think the proof will be in the popularity of it... If its busy all summer then it might make Alton sit up and take note.

When Dave and I came across it on Sunday, it was closed but we could clearly see all the tables and menus set up. It looks alright from what has been seen so far however I'm disappointed that it's re-using Woodcutter's attire, furthering the brand indeed. Will a menu be photographed/written up soon for view on here?