• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags: General Discussion

Magic Mountain have said that the fire happened whilst work was being done to disassemble the ride, so I guess something went wrong with a piece of equipment. Thankfully there were no injuries. They say that plans for the Spring debut of Twisted Colossus are still on track.

:)

Thought I'd put this here for now and then if it is confirmed on Six Flags Day we can start a new topic, but Screamscape are reporting that Discovery Kingdom could be in line for an RMC conversion:
Screamscape said:
Six Flags and Rocky Mountain Construction... the world wants to know where they will partner up next... and I think I know. According to the Screamscape Spy Network, the two may converge in California once again later this year where RMC may work their magic on Roar, GCI's infamous first coaster to feature the Millennium Flyer trains back in the day.

Does anyone know why Roar is so imfamous? Would be the first RMC conversion of a GCI!

Little update on the Roar situation. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom have confirmed that this GCI woodie, which opened in 1999, will close on August 16th:

2015_0716_RoarClosing.jpg

RMC conversion fully expected!

I think Roar is more infamous because it's not the most comfortable GCI, certainly not the best I've ridden. Not sure if they were still experimenting with the Flyers at the time of its construction.

Another RMC isn't bad news in my view, particularly when it's not replacing something particularly outstanding or historic.

Happy Six Flags Day all!!

I've posted most of the major updates in their relevant topics so this is more for discussion about the investments in general as well as some of the more minor additions.

For me this is a slightly disappointing year compared to the previous two or three. Only two new coasters, an RMC conversion and S&S 4D freespin. It's nice to see an investment of some flats at a few of the parks as they will act as decent crowd soakers (I can't work out if that is the right terminolgoy or not!).

Two more of the Justice League dark rides which is good news as they look exceptional. Great America has been somewhat spoilt over the last few years!

All in all though I do like the approach Six Flags take to investments. It remains sensible and every park has something new each year.

It must have been a painstaking job for whoever wrote the VO script for that film, there's only so many ways you can hype a Larsons looper.

For me, the best thing in the announcement is the work they're doing on Magic Mountain's Revolution. Hats off, Six Flags.

Agreed, from what I hear of that ride it really needs the new restraints as the last time it was retrofitted with OTSR they ruined the experience.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the only ride (or coaster at least) named Titan at a Six Flags park the Giovanola mega coaster at Over Texas? It's probably just renewing the trademark for that, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw loads of Titans at their over parks like how there's a lot of Goliaths :p

Six Flags have announced their new attractions for 2017!

If you don't want to watch the painfully bad acting, then here's a summary of the video:

- Magic Mountain, Over Georgia and Great Adventure are all getting Justice League dark rides.

- Great America, New England and Over Texas are all getting S&S free spins named The Joker

- Discovery Kingdom and La Ronde are getting Zamperla Giant Discoveries (DK is themed to Wonder Woman and LR's is called Titan)

- America is getting a Star Flyer, again themed to Wonder Woman

- Fiesta Texas and The Great Escape are getting additions to their water parks

- Mexico and Fiesta Texas are getting some sort of Mardi Gras event

- A new water park is being built in Oaxtepec, Mexico.

- And Mexico is getting VR put on Steel Medusa

Seems a bit underwhelming. Surprised to see no RMC converts this year.

Wow, that was horrible. Typical American garbage.

So basically apart from a few rides, they are just adding rides they already have to other parks, just new names.

Basically they are just making every six flags near enough the same.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The horrible cringeworthy aspects of the video every year are one of the best parts of Six Flags Day! :p

A very disappointing announcement overall though when looking from the outside. Far less variation than usual and no RMCs at all (thinking about it do RMC have any future projects announced at the moment?). However I can see how what they are doing makes sense to them in their regional theme park model - it shouldn't matter that parks have the same rides as the majority of guests are from the respective park's region therefore they will not have ridden it before.

Generally speaking, 2017 is shaping up to be a very poor year for new coasters in the USA and Europe.

Generally speaking, 2017 is shaping up to be a very poor year for new coasters in the USA and Europe.

I agree. There's not a really major thrill coaster (besides the Star Trek Mack at Movie Park Germany) I can think of that I'm interested in for next year, and it's pretty much too late for any more to be announced. The only American coasters taking my interest are Invadr and Mystic Timbers.

So basically apart from a few rides, they are just adding rides they already have to other parks, just new names.
Yes. In other words, they've road tested attractions in some markets and after a great response, they're introducing them to other markets on the other side of the continent. It represents a lower risk capex as you've proven the technology and the experience prior. Disney has been doing it for decades.

The Justice League rides are fun, if not a little short. The Free Spins are awesome - hopefully they will have sorted the reliability issues that have plagued the Great Adventure ride, who doesn't love Discoveries and Star Flyers?

Six Flags tried the whole 'build a new B&M every year' approach. Didn't work out so well. They're making good, solid additions and seeing great results in per caps and attendance.

Learn to enjoy the addition of rides you'll likely not be riding.

Sorry to bump this thread, but Six Flags announced late yesterday that they are acquiring 5 new theme and water parks in the USA. These are:
  • Wet'n'Wild Splashtown in Houston, Texas.
  • Wet'n'Wild Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona.
  • Darien Lake in Darien Center, New York.
  • Frontier City in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
  • White Water Bay, a water park near to Frontier City.
All of these parks are presently owned by investment firm EPR Properties, and the deal is expected to close in June. Interestingly, I believe that some of, if not all of, these parks were owned by Six Flags prior to their bankruptcy in the late 2000s. Well, Darien Lake and Frontier City were, I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Also, on an interesting note, Jim Reid-Anderson has stated that this is the start of a "US expansion drive" that will try to make as many people as possible within a 100-mile drive of a Six Flags park. These 5 properties will mean that 20 million more people are within a 100 mile radius of a Six Flags park.

Nice to see Six Flags in slightly more of a stable financial position, and this should represent a really positive future for the company!

Interesting move. I think this may be an admission that they see a limit to how much they can grow their business with their existing portfolio - they haven't pursued the hotel thing that most other operators have.

It's worth noting that they have purchased the right to operate the parks, not the parks themselves.

What is also interesting to note is that the parks are currently operated by Premier Parks which is headed up by Kieran Burke who was CEO of Six Flags until he was ousted by Red Zone. Such an incestuous industry, really.

Last edited: