• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags Magic Mountain: General Discussion

The park will have what 19 coasters after this ones built so overall park capacity shouldn't be an issue plus it'll probably have a better throughout than the thing it's replacing (Green Lantern). Plus Six Flags love adding new things every year so the whole 'big new ride' buzz will wear off pretty quickly. Especially if they push on for coaster number 20 what with Energylandia just behind them and with Vekoma seemingly on speed dial.

It’s also worth noting that Jersey Devil, the ride this was said to be a near-clone of, apparently has a better throughout than many might expect; its target throughput is 864pph and its theoretical throughput is 960pph.

It’s also worth noting that Jersey Devil, the ride this was said to be a near-clone of, apparently has a better throughout than many might expect; its target throughput is 864pph and its theoretical throughput is 960pph.
This is something I didn't know about. I thought I read someone the theoretical throughput was about 600pph. However I do doubt whether the target throughput with ever actually be reached. Aren't six flags operations known to be bad?

Apparently there are rumours that this is going to be a clone of Jersey Devil, which is a shame. Although makes sense from a business point of view, and to be fair, the parks are literally on different coasts of the US so cross ridership is likely to be low.

Apparently there are rumours that this is going to be a clone of Jersey Devil, which is a shame. Although makes sense from a business point of view, and to be fair, the parks are literally on different coasts of the US so cross ridership is likely to be low.
Do you think it'll become the other standard RMC model that was mentioned inbetween the TREX and the small raptors?

This is something I didn't know about. I thought I read someone the theoretical throughput was about 600pph. However I do doubt whether the target throughput with ever actually be reached. Aren't six flags operations known to be bad?
600pph seems believable for the original 8-person Raptor at SFFT, but if this is a clone of Jersey Devil, then it will seat 12 people, thus increasing the capacity by about 50%. Jersey Devil also has an MCBR and 4 trains due to it being a longer ride.

These RMC Raptors look pretty good, but isn’t this partly about the fact that Six Flags have had fairly tight budgets for new rides ever since they came out of bankruptcy. Admittedly Magic Mountain has had some of the best investments in the chain, but by and large the last decade has been a mixture of Zamperla Giant Discoveries, Larson Loops, S&S free spins and RMC conversions. The Justice League dark rides seem to be near the top of the investments. But the days of El Toro and Kingda Ka are well in the past.

These RMC Raptors look pretty good, but isn’t this partly about the fact that Six Flags have had fairly tight budgets for new rides ever since they came out of bankruptcy. Admittedly Magic Mountain has had some of the best investments in the chain, but by and large the last decade has been a mixture of Zamperla Giant Discoveries, Larson Loops, S&S free spins and RMC conversions. The Justice League dark rides seem to be near the top of the investments. But the days of El Toro and Kingda Ka are well in the past.
This is what I suspect the main reason for them not getting a larger version is. They like RMC because they go out of the way to make it cheap which is great for six flags. They are not only cheap but marketable.

There is a link !

I would argue that the spending we see in the Six Flags parks of today is pretty normal, it only looks 'tight' or 'cheap' because the previous spending was so insane. What was going on back there was bonkers, people called it out at the time, but the management kept doing it.

If you take Great Adventure, in 1999 they declared queues were going to be a thing of the past and as part of their 'War on Lines' offering, they embarked on a $42M investment for a total of 25 new rides in one season (!). Then we saw Kingda Ka and El Toro in back to back seasons, a $50M investment and a money pit forever more.

Take Geauga Lake, bought as part of the Funtime acquisition ($60M), they then spent $50M on new rides in the opening seasons, one season later they bought Seaworld Ohio next door for $110M to create Worlds of Adventure, lost money on running the thing for three seasons and then flogged the whole lot to Cedar Fair for $145M. It's a fascinating era ...

Riddler's Revenge is back open after an 8 month hiatus.

That would be great. It's such an icon and the Red Zone regime put a museum at the top only for it to close again.

They should've done this work years ago...that or just demolished it. Sad that it just stands there rusting away - really good to hear that it may have life yet!

It's a wonder it hasn't fallen down when you remember who built it. Legend has it that there is a scenario in the park's earthquake disaster plan where the tower tumbles.

I think the figures to bring it up to code were pretty staggering. Sub Terra syndrome I guess ... but it does stick out somewhat. Here's an awesome construction photo ...

mm0100_large.jpg

The construction photos of Magic Mountain are always great to look at, worlds away from what it is today. That one above is particularly spectacular!