• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags to open park in Dubai by end of 2020

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
In what I think is surprising news, Six Flags have announced a partnership with Meraas Leisure and Entertainment LLC to open a Six Flags branded park due to open in late 2017.

Six Flags Press Release said:
Six Flags-Branded Theme Park to Open in Dubai

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE: SIX), the world's largest regional theme park company, and Meraas Leisure and Entertainment LLC, announced today a new strategic partnership to bring a Six Flags-branded theme park to Dubai. The project is planned to open in late 2017 and will be located within the multi-themed park project in Jebel Ali launched by Meraas.

"The cornerstone of our international expansion strategy has always been finding the right partner in the right location and, with Meraas in Dubai, we have done exactly that," said Jim Reid-Anderson, Chairman, President and CEO of Six Flags Entertainment. "We are honored to be working with this world-class organization as the first significant strategic step taking the Six Flags brand to growing and successful markets outside North America."

Raed Al Nuaimi, Chief Leisure and Entertainment Officer, Meraas L&E, said: "We are delighted to have a world-leading theme park company and a brand like Six Flags on board. We are confident their presence will perfectly complement our project and further enhance our overall offerings in the leisure and entertainment space."

"As part of our commitment towards creating one-of-a-kind experiences and contributing towards the Dubai Tourism Vision 2020, our association with Six Flags will help us develop a world-class destination that redefines the industry and positively impacts the regional tourism sector."

Terms of the arrangement were not disclosed.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world's largest regional theme park company with $1.1 billion in revenue and 18 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For 53 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks and unique attractions including up-close animal encounters, Fright Fest® and Holiday in the Park®. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com.

About Meraas Leisure and Entertainment LLC
Meraas L&E is the leisure and entertainment arm of Meraas Holding, a Dubai-based real estate development company, which creates integrated master-planned communities embodying global standards of sustainability and quality.

As a premier provider of leisure and entertainment experiences, Meraas L&E is mandated to develop a portfolio of refreshingly innovative landmark projects that redefine Dubai's as well as the wider region's tourism and entertainment landscape.

SOURCE Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Will be interesting to see how this develops and if it does materialise. It will be interesting to see which company has the most say on what happens with the park and who is in charge of all the operations etc. All the press release really says is that it will be using the Six Flags brand.

:)

I'm more surprised that parks are still looking to build places in Dubai, what with all the abandoned projects scattered about the desert...

screen-shot-2016-05-18-at-19-23-10.png

Concept art appears to feature another Pulsar type ride from Mack, perhaps that's an RMC in the back and an S&S Free Fly on the middle right.

Who knows what the left coaster is. Perhaps they're not using their IPs or are unable to.

Bring it.

Reactions: Rob
Needless to say that this park is no longer scheduled to open in 2017, it is now set to open sometime in 2019. It will become the fourth gate of the Dubai Parks and Resorts complex which will include Motiongate Dubai, Bollywood Park Dubai Legoland Dubai all set to open later this year. There will also be a Legoland Waterpark.

Anyway, Dubai Parks and Resorts have confirmed that they have officially broken ground on the new Six Flags theme park. A few more details from Screamscape:
Screamscape said:
The park will feature 27 rides and attractions spread across six themed zones, the names of which will sound familiar to many US Six Flags fans: Thrillseeker Plaza, Magic Mountain, Fiesta Texas, Great Escape, Great Adventure and Great America. While the details are not ready for release, they say that the park will feature at least three world-record breaking rides in addition to 6 coasters, 4 "aerial attractions", a 350-meter River Rapids ride and 3 performance spaces for live entertainment.

I love how the names of the areas reflect some of the US parks!

Nothing ever happens on time in that region! If something announced, and I mean anything - like a road, school etc - you add a couple of years to it. It's like when you ask a cabbie in New York how long it will take to get to somewhere... double it!

I am looking forward to this coming around, it's a little weird that Dubai doesn't have something like this already. Abu Dhabi is such a trek for Ferrari World.

Nothing ever happens on time in that region! If something announced, and I mean anything - like a road, school etc - you add a couple of years to it. It's like when you ask a cabbie in New York how long it will take to get to somewhere... double it!

I am looking forward to this coming around, it's a little weird that Dubai doesn't have something like this already. Abu Dhabi is such a trek for Ferrari World.
Eh? Have you actually been the UAE? Abu Dhabi is 45 minutes away from Dubai City.
Again, with stuff not meet deadlines, everything slowed down due to the financial crisis, most stuff now does hit deadlines, but that wasn't just happening in the UAE, it happened all around the world.

I think Rick meant it's a long way to go just for Ferarri World at the moment. It will be far more appealing when all these parks under construction are open!

Eh? Have you actually been the UAE? Abu Dhabi is 45 minutes away from Dubai City.
Again, with stuff not meet deadlines, everything slowed down due to the financial crisis, most stuff now does hit deadlines, but that wasn't just happening in the UAE, it happened all around the world.
Yes. I have been, I've lived and worked there, hence my comments. It depends where you are in Dubai, if you're that 'end' near JBR it's an hour on a good day to Yas Island, if you're in downtown Dubai it's a good 90 minutes unless you get super lucky with traffic. Also, at the moment there is a ton of work going on near Al Samba which makes it all somewhat painful.

My general point is that Abu Dhabi, despite being the capital still feels second to Dubai. Dubai is such a huge population centre - it'll be great when the parks finally open. The sheer number of water parks is in part down to climate, but I guess also down to the comparitive cost, I guess.

Bump!

Screamscape are reporting that Six Flags Dubai is now expected to partially open in Spring 2020 with a full opening before Expo 2020 which is taking place in October.

However more interestingly, they are saying that the park will not be getting an RMC when it opens (as seen on the concept art). Instead they will be getting a Mack Hyper Coaster!

Bump!

Screamscape are reporting that Six Flags Dubai is now expected to partially open in Spring 2020 with a full opening before Expo 2020 which is taking place in October.

However more interestingly, they are saying that the park will not be getting an RMC when it opens (as seen on the concept art). Instead they will be getting a Mack Hyper Coaster!

Interesting! Could this mean the Mack XTREME Spinner rumour for SFMM is now more likely?

On a side note, I would presume that the Mack Hyper is the blue coaster around the entrance. Should be a great ride for the UAE and in general!

I wonder if the lack of RMC is because it’s in Dubai. RMC haven’t done a lot of work outside America, and assuming they were building a wooden hybrid It must be very hard to locally source wood in a desert!

I would like to see either Six Flags or Cedar Fair do a multi-coaster deal with Mack over the next few years.

The USA lacks them.

I would like to see either Six Flags or Cedar Fair do a multi-coaster deal with Mack over the next few years.

The USA lacks them.
Well, it might please you to know that SFMM are apparently eyeballing an XTREME Spinning Coaster, similar to Time Traveler, from Mack for 2019. They are apparently looking to put it on the old Deja Vu site, so it would be quite small, but it's a Mack all the same! If you're wondering where I heard this, I got it from Screamscape, which is normally very reliable.

Sorry for double posting, but I bring unfortunate news that this project might be delayed due to apparent financial losses within both DXB Entertainment and Six Flags. I'm sure it'll all be fine in the end, but no one else seems to think so...

Sorry for double posting, but I bring unfortunate news that this project might be delayed due to apparent financial losses within both DXB Entertainment and Six Flags. I'm sure it'll all be fine in the end, but no one else seems to think so...
Can't say I'm disappointed, or surprised. They've been talking about Six Flags Dubai for years.