• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Skyscraper's Alton Towers Trip Report 2017

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
i went to Alton Towers yesterday (Sat 25th June), and had a great day! it wasn't without it's mishaps, though. Weather was amazing as well.

I rode Thirteen for the first time, and loved it. Ironically, though i knew what was going to happen, the drop still took me by surprise as i didn't know how forceful it was going to be!

Also, i finally conquered Oblivion, and it wasn't too bad after all! We joined the queue and, just as we got to the front, it broke down, so we had to wait for about 20 minutes (probably longer) or so but, being right at the front of the queue (just behind another group of two), i got to chat to a staff member (and talk technical), which helped calm my nerves. In case anyone's wondering, Oblivion was on single-station operation (they loaded one train at a time instead of two).

near the end of the day, we went to go on Thirteen again, but it had a technical problem and would be closed for the rest of the day. then, we got the Skyride for the second time, but just after we lest the station, it broke down, and we were stuck for about 20 minutes of so (probably longer). We knew it was a problem, as they broadcast an announcement. I think i saw Theme Park Worldwide's Shaun Sanbrook working at the Forbidden Valley station as well!

Overall, it was an awesome day, with two new coasters for me. :)
Bring on Rita next time!

If you have any questions, please ask!

Last edited:
Sounds like yesterday was fairly similar to today @skyscraper - glad you managed to have some fun though and well done for daring to dive.
I was surprised at how little force there was on oblivion's drop; Thirteen's freefall drop-track section was worse!

I was surprised at how little force there was on oblivion's drop; Thirteen's freefall drop-track section was worse!
That would be because of the theory that a lot of us drop tower haters subscribe to: Facing the direction you're falling is fine. But sitting upright is what gives the "gut lurch" we all dread.

That would be because of the theory that a lot of us drop tower haters subscribe to: Facing the direction you're falling is fine. But sitting upright is what gives the "gut lurch" we all dread.
Well, i'm yet to try a drop tower, but don't think i'd like them.

What's wrong with a drop tower ? I could ride Detonator at Thorpe all day
i'll only know when i get the chance to try one. I would have tried the Jolly Roger at Pleasurewood Hills lat year, but it was closed all day :(.

Also, can anyone tell me how to upload my own photos? i can get to them on a computer but don't know how to post them to the SW8 thread (there's no URL).

Well there are already a few threads on drop towers and how evil they are, so let's not repeat ourselves... ;)

For photos, you have to upload them to a hosting site (don't use facebook [well, at all tbh] as the links are only ever temporary) then paste the URL in to your post between the IMG tags.

For photos, you have to upload them to a hosting site (don't use facebook [well, at all tbh] as the links are only ever temporary) then paste the URL in to your post between the IMG tags.
i tried doing just that using Google Drive, but it won't work.