• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Social Etiquette

Hazza

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Belvoir Manners
The news of the performance of 'The bodyguard' in Manchester ,where several audience members tried to sing over the performers onstage, leading to evictions from the theatre and for the show to be cancelled, has led to a debate on Etiquette in theatres and how Covid may have impacted this. Are there any other examples we can think of where Etiquette has been decreasing over the last few years, this can include theme parks.

Not exactly what you are asking and I'm not sure which side I stand on this.

I have been at a gig where a group was talking while someone was performing. This nearly led to scenes possibly similar to the bodyguard fracas.

Back to that fracas. I would possibly lose my cool if I had paid good money to hear a performance of that song and it was drowned out by a rendition remotely like many I have had to suffer in karaoke bars.

The point is moot though. I wouldn't have paid to be there.

The whole banging out of tunes on mobile phones without headphones absolutely breaks me.

I complained to an elder about this and they claimed that boom boxes (with 12 D sized batteries in) caused a similar scourge in the 1980s but I am not convinced it was as widespread.

Not exactly what you are asking and I'm not sure which side I stand on this.
I'm asking if there are any examples in which social Etiquette has become worse over the last few years, and why these problems may have emerged

The whole banging out of tunes on mobile phones without headphones absolutely breaks me.

I complained to an elder about this and they claimed that boom boxes (with 12 D sized batteries in) caused a similar scourge in the 1980s but I am not convinced it was as widespread.

This is all the more annoying as the sound quality of mobile phone speakers is crap. Headphones are far better and don’t annoy everyone else.

Oh, this old git remembers them well.
Ghetto Blasters...Often hoiked on the shoulder, by someone on roller boots, wearing a bright nylon shell suit.
We are not in the tavern, so I can only call them complete twits.
Social etiquette...
Is that where I am meant to step swiftly out of the way of the idiot wearing earbuds, staring at their mobile phone, while walking down a busy pavement.
They do look funny when they bounce off you.
"You should concentrate on where you are going my friend."
Every last time.

Is that where I am meant to step swiftly out of the way of the idiot wearing earbuds, staring at their mobile phone, while walking down a busy pavement.

It when the pavement ends and they walk straight into the road. Obvious to the traffic.

As for the concert. If you want to sing "i will always love you" in a rowdy manner, go to a karaoke bar.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you've gone to the theatre for the show you should shut up and let the actors sing, you wouldn't go see Romeo & Juliet and shout the lines at the actors as they perform it.

There's plenty of similar shows were audience participation is encouraged so attend those instead.

I'm asking if there are any examples in which social Etiquette has become worse over the last few years, and why these problems may have emerged

Is people telling at gigs not relevant?

I am mindful not to tar an entire generation with the same brush, and am also cognizant that 'back in my day' peers of my age acted the same, but I am concerned at the lack of respect for other people (generally) from younger people.

I was on a busy bus the other week, sat at the back, and at either side of my row were two small windows open to enable air flow. Both windows labelled "Please leave these windows open for ventilation". A young chap perhaps half my age, with what I can only describe as an unpleasant attitude combined with over self-confidence, took it upon himself to very loudly complain that he was cold and then slammed both windows shut. When I asked him why he did that, and what about the other fifty people on the bus, he said "those windows need to get out mate they're ridiculous they just need to get out".

Can anyone translate?

As someone who works in theatre, stuff like this (although not quite to the level of full on brawls) is sadly a common occurance now. No matter how clear announcements are preshow to keep quiet and off your phone, these messages don't get through to people.

Let's say you wanted to go and see Les Mis in London - a good seat will set you back at least £60. Imagine if you've taken your seat, the show begins, and someone behind you is singing over the cast, meaning you can't hear or focus on the show. Not exactly fair for everyone, especially when you've payed a considerable amount for an evening of entertainment. If you want to sing along, do so at home.

I'm a bit of a big fan of Heathers, and a whole variety of Heather's content has fully infiltrated my TikTok 'For You Page'.

I am, quite frankly, shocked at the number of videos that pop up taken of actual performances. Like, to the extent that I've seen a couple of actors posting them with the justification of "well when random people post these, it garners them huge amounts of followers - as it's my work, why shouldn't I gain that?".

It's insane.

I'm a bit of a big fan of Heathers, and a whole variety of Heather's content has fully infiltrated my TikTok 'For You Page'.

I am, quite frankly, shocked at the number of videos that pop up taken of actual performances. Like, to the extent that I've seen a couple of actors posting them with the justification of "well when random people post these, it garners them huge amounts of followers - as it's my work, why shouldn't I gain that?".

It's insane.

I must be old, I have absolutely no idea what this means.

[mention]rob666 [/mention] Aren’t you a big fan of heathers as well as various other assorted evergreen shrubs?

I tend to dig heathers up and bury them a good foot deeper.
Works a treat.
Not sure I could spin it out to a full series mind.

I must be old, I have absolutely no idea what this means.

[mention]rob666 [/mention] Aren’t you a big fan of heathers as well as various other assorted evergreen shrubs?
I should have been clearer, though I suspect this is tongue in cheek...

781651_213e1ce539bc4db8bfe64a5a67b7cc9e~mv2.jpg

I should have been clearer, though I suspect this is tongue in cheek...

781651_213e1ce539bc4db8bfe64a5a67b7cc9e~mv2.jpg

Ah, Heathers the musical, I’m with you now! When you said that Heathers videos were appearing on your Tik Tok timeline I thought it was the name of some kind of video trend like planking or lip syncing or the like.

In the last decade or so there seems to have been a huge shift from 'I don't care what other people think', which can be a positive be your true self mindset, to 'I don't care about other people' where people have no consideration of how the their actions negatively impact others. It seems a lot of people suddenly can't tell the difference between these two things, and justify their awful behaviour using the former when all that is really happening is the latter.

In the last decade or so there seems to have been a huge shift from 'I don't care what other people think', which can be a positive be your true self mindset, to 'I don't care about other people' where people have no consideration of how the their actions negatively impact others. It seems a lot of people suddenly can't tell the difference between these two things, and justify their awful behaviour using the former when all that is really happening is the latter.
To me, it boils down to individualistic thinking as opposed to collectivist thinking. It really frustrates me that a number of people either can't - or won't - understand how their actions affect other people, and when it's pointed out to them, they don't really seem to care. Instead, they double down on their positions, and get worse. Winds me up no end. We saw it during the pandemic with the panic buying, as just one example.