• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Southport Pleasureland

Especially as it was wrong in the other topic!
Edit...I could be lying...again!
Still not clever enough to quote cross topics anyway!
Back on topic, Pleasureland, like Morecambe and Blackpool, was one of my favourite places of my youth, but the last few visits, I haven't even made it on the park, the view from outside just didn't tempt me due to all or nothing wristbands.
Did the promised pub and minigolf actually get built for last season, I never got further than the shops on Lord Street?
Golf got built, theming looks amazing... Hopefully this level of detail translates to the new 'immerse themed land' in the park this year

Website says pub coming 2023 👍
0_JLR_170920_plans.jpg

Southport Pleasureland are set to receive a steampunk themed area called Discovery Bay for the 2023 season. Link
Discovery-Bay-Banners-web-banner-no-cta.jpg

If they can pull this off to a good standard, which they might from looking at the quality of the Viking Golf, then they should be onto a winner. Happy to see a unique theme for the UK! I am under the impression that a retheme of the Ghost Train will be included within this.

It appears the park are attempting themed areas, as from looking at the rides page, the log flume, caterpillar coaster and tree house play area will all be receiving a Viking theme for this season. Hopefully exciting times ahead for the park!

Yet absolutely no news whatsoever about the big new coaster we have been promised along the coast road...two and a half years later.
Funny that.
Planning permission usually only lasts for 3 years so they will need to re apply if they don't break ground this year

Was trying to find out what was happening with the new area for Pleasure Land this year and conveniently there was some actual news yesterday

And the park have added this to the website, so 6 new rides including to 2 Thrill rides. Whilst some of the existing bits are given a viking overhaul to in with the Viking Golf they opened.

Shouldn't they be opening their big new coaster along Marine Drive about now?
Still no sign, still no news...not going to happen now is it?

Given what the rumoured coaster was going to be....it's no big loss really.

True it would be a stand out ride for them but that's not saying a great deal is it?

We took the dog to Southport the other week and had a walk up to the park to check out the new golf and see what else was going on.

£10per adult for a game of crazy golf is crazy and overpriced. Family pass was a bit better value but not everyone travels in a family of 4 hence we didn't bother having a round.

This isn't how you entice people back to Southport.

Wandered the park this lunchtime as it has gone back to free entry.
They keep pushing the exterior boundaries, but all the rides are well worn flats.
The one half decent looking coaster was closed, and they seemed to have more catering spots open than BPB and Alton combined!
Two new small bars and about twenty junk food stalls, all open, very few punters...
And absolutely zero sign of a new coaster for 23, 24 or 25.

RMC single rail or Intamin Hot Racer? They’re both fairly similar in cost to the Thunderbolt and would have appropriate capacity while putting the park back on the map

I really, really can’t see Southport Pleasureland getting the UK’s first RMC in a single rail coaster. Probably more likely to end up with a Reverchon spinner than anything exciting.

£10per adult for a game of crazy golf is crazy and overpriced. Family pass was a bit better value but not everyone travels in a family of 4 hence we didn't bother having a round.

This isn't how you entice people back to Southport.

It's £5 cheaper than the one outside Blackpool Pleasure Beach , and the one at pleasure beach is also 6 holes less !!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I just find it all funny for all the grief we've given Merlin for how they run their parks and for good reason, it seems everyone other UK park with the exception of Paultons or maybe Drayton, all the other parks are treated no better as if they were run by Merlin! :p

I don't know why I find people getting so worked up over things so funny, perhaps I've grown fed up with it all and just want to laugh how nothing seems to change...poor Southport though, would've been nice to give PBB some legit competition and blow smoke up their backside, I do suspect oddly though that with both PBB and Merlin having never had any true competition in this country, they moment they do face it is when you see them crumble like a pack of cards as they'll have no clue how to react.

IIRC, was the reason they couldn't have anything permanent built was due to it being on a long term lease which has limited them or has this been resolved by now or has something different happened?

I visited Southport last weekend and the whole town was dead, which was surprising as it was the Easter school holidays. The town in general has taken a big hit on the retail front.

There is investment coming and they are trying to reinvent Thier offering to visitors. It will be a shame if Southport Pleasurebeech can't get a new coaster to bring people in

Last edited:
IIRC, was the reason they couldn't have anything permanent built was due to it being on a long term lease which has limited them or has this been resolved by now or has something different happened?

After BPB left I believe the council gave responsibility for the site to another company (Urban Splash I think) with the idea they'd build something on the site eventually. In the mean time Norman Wallace was able to get short term leases from the company to operate a fair on the land.

This basically continued annually for about a decade, think said company went out of business eventually. And a few years back Norman Wallace signed a long term lease on the site, hence them building permanent things like the Viking Golf.

Hope it works for them but every time I pop up to Southport in general it seems a bit worse than the last visit in the town centre.

Lord Street was a famous shopping street with sheltered avenues, nice department stores and decent eateries.
It now has 'spoons, B&M Bargains and charity shops, amongst the peeling paint and beggars.
It has lost its genteel nature, and is now a place on the coast that old gits go to die.
Nobody stays over anymore, it is a day tripper resort.