• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Southport Pleasureland

I had a walk around Pleasureland today and I have to say Norman has done a great job with the park. It looks so much smarter than it did in the final years of the BPB ownership. Late 1990s was the best era of the park under BPB then it went downhill in the years before it closed. It’s a clean, smart, decent family park now with year on year investment

Hi Norman.

Welcome to Towers Street.

To be fair, he does have a point.
There has been a clear makeover, it is far better looking than it was.
Great for families with small kids and pre teens, but not great for thoosies.
Southport on a sunny day can be most seductive...they designed the boulevards of Paris after seeing Lord Street you know...
Allegedly.

I’d argue that the best years of Pleasureland in the modern era was after they’d finally bought out the concessionaires and invested a lot of money into the place. They had a flurry of installations between TraumaTizer, the shot tower, King Solomon’s, the River Caves refurb, new flat rides like Chaos and the general park tidy up.

Exactly…that was the mid to late 1990s. From the early 2000s BPB stopped investing and the park went into decline. Starting to charge just to enter the park was the beginning of the end…made no sense at all for an amusement park like southport

TraumaTizer was the first big investment - that was 1999. Everything else I mentioned came in the 2000s.
chaos was 1998…I know because I was a ride op at that time. the general park clean up and building of the entertainment centre, Casablanca, also complete before Traumatizer opened in 1999. King Solomon‘s wasn’t a big investment it was just moved from Frontierland in Morecambe when that closed, year 2000. Very little investment happened after the early 2000s, it was a steady decline as attendances fell and no new ride investment. i went in the season it closed and it really was in bad shape

TraumaTizer was progress?
Are we really sure the satans spawn of Infusion was actual progress?
There was a long distant tale that the original ride was part funded with euromoney...tourism development in Merseyside.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on with their 'Speed Loop' attraction (an off-the-shelf Pinfari with one inversion)?

It arrived on park over 10 months ago now and has been fully constructed for quite some time. The park were hyping it up as their first inverting coaster since Traumatiser left the park.

But it has been SBNO ever since. Seems very strange to be to the trouble of building the coaster only to decide not to bother opening it, so I wonder if there's some kind of structural problem with the ride?

This is the attraction - https://rcdb.com/14086.htm - listed as under construction, opening 2017, here but, like I say, it has been fully constructed for almost a year now.
Following the fashion for liking old posts...
That coaster sat there on the edge of the park...not opening at all for at least 95% of the time, as false advertising close to Marine Drive.
For years.

TraumaTizer was progress?
Are we really sure the satans spawn of Infusion was actual progress?
There was a long distant tale that the original ride was part funded with euromoney...tourism development in Merseyside.
Haha, it was actually quite smooth when it first opened as Traumatizer, and was a big thing for the park back then! Moving it from Southport to Blackpool won’t have helped…but agree it is totally unrideable now!

Twas never smooth, less rough maybe.
Did 40 loops on the thing for my 40th birthday.
Then had to lie down all the way home.
Could have been worse, you might have spent your 40th in Scotland riding Tornado at M&D's with its horrendous corkscrew elememt for the same amount of time, you would be lying down in quite a permanent state...

Having a wander with the dog at Southport tonight. When I walked past the park I thought it was very strange, that they have repainted Casablanca in the most fugly colours ... Only to discover that the park is engaged in some top trolling when getting closer ...

PXL_20230605_190817200.jpgCasablanca was the building on the right. It appears that the Booster and whatever is next to it are painted in the same colours and Casablanca has become ...

PXL_20230605_190643187.jpg

Last edited:
Having a wander with the dog at Southport tonight. When I walked past the park I thought it was very strange, that they have repainted Casablanca in the most fugly colours ... Only to discover that the park is engaged in some top trolling when getting closer ...

PXL_20230605_190817200.jpgCasablanca was the building on the right. It appears that the Booster and whatever is next to it are painted in the same colours and Casablanca has become ...

PXL_20230605_190643187.jpg
I love this so much.