• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Speed bumps in Alton village

I did notice these yesterday when I drove to the park, slight strange and random to put them on a selection of road that you have to drive down slowly anyway, or its far too busy to drive fast.

They should be resurfacing the roads and repainting the white markings rather than doing speed bumps! Or altering the junctions to help the traffic flow much better than it currently does.

Whilst almost all speed bumps are pointless I'll reserve judgment until we find out exactly what we're getting.

It could be what I call 'glorified go faster stripes,'
SB04.jpg]

or these, the suspension coil shredding death bumps:
950-lg.png

or the frankly awesome 'one way' style of traffic management that makes every trip to the shops feel like a drive on a speedway circuit
220px-One-lane_chicane_1.jpg

With regards the motorbike - I was referring to those bumps which are sorta pinky colour, and are made up in sections and bolted to the road, they have a sort of rubbery surface and there is a gap between the edge of the road and the centreline. So on the bike you have a choice, either aim down the left hand gap and risk hitting a drain, or put yourself in the middle of the road towards oncoming traffic. Or go over the middle of the hump - either way, when they are wet, they can be dangerous to people on two wheels.

This is an interesting read : http://www.abd.org.uk/topics/speed_humps.htm

thefatone said:
A bypass where we can all drive our super sporty cars and bikes to our beloved theme park.

Sounds like heaven, eh?

Cars like mine also suffer on speed bumps due to having the same suspension as a cart on the rear end :p Also the passengers suffer due to no seat belts in the rear :p

Poison Tom 96 said:
delta79 said:
I wonder how many lowered and body kitted cars are going to damage there sumps and body kits driving over these bumps.

Or how many normal cars which will have the suspension wrecked?

Speed Bumps are designed not to damage standard road cars at the speed limit for the road they are on. So if the 'normal' car is travelling at or below the speed limit it won't damage the suspension.

It is the cars that have had be modified outside the vehicle specifications used in the design of the speed bump that risk damage.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put three way traffic lights in the middle of Alton whilst the park is open needs their head checking! That was a stupid idea.

As for the speed bumps, are they really needed? I have not once in all my time driving to Towers seen a car "speed" through Alton village. Cars always go slowly as the road is narrow and there are nearly always parked cars. It really won't make any difference.

:)

delta79 said:
Poison Tom 96 said:
delta79 said:
I wonder how many lowered and body kitted cars are going to damage there sumps and body kits driving over these bumps.

Or how many normal cars which will have the suspension wrecked?

Speed Bumps are designed not to damage standard road cars at the speed limit for the road they are on. So if the 'normal' car is travelling at or below the speed limit it won't damage the suspension.

It is the cars that have had be modified outside the vehicle specifications used in the design of the speed bump that risk damage.

Speed bumps, regardless what speed you travel over them damage the inside walls of the car tyres - provided they are the humps that you have to straddle as opposed to the long ones across the entire road.

This article (the reply) gives some insight into this....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/6509503/Honest-John-Road-humps-rip-tyre-inner-walls-to-shreds.html

I was talking about full speed bumps not cushions or short humps.

I really do hope they don't install them stupid cushions.

delta79 said:
I was talking about full speed bumps not cushions or short humps.

I really do hope they don't install them stupid cushions.

99.9% chance of cushions unfortunately....the 32A First bus runs the route so needs to be able to avoid them....

Re: Re: Speed bumps in Alton village

Alastair said:
I reckon attendance would up by at least a third if a bypass was ever built. The main thing you hear people complain about in regards to Alton Towers is the difficulty of getting there/the awful roads. A bypass would make visiting more regularly a lot more appealing.

I very much doubt a new access road would cause a 1m rise in attendance!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Speed bumps in Alton village

AstroDan said:
Alastair said:
I reckon attendance would up by at least a third if a bypass was ever built. The main thing you hear people complain about in regards to Alton Towers is the difficulty of getting there/the awful roads. A bypass would make visiting more regularly a lot more appealing.

I very much doubt a new access road would cause a 1m rise in attendance!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

This! In the short term an access road would have very little affect on attendances. It would probably be of benefit in the long term but not that significantly. There will be much better and more affordable ways of increasing attenance figures. They have probably carried out research into the impacts of an access road in the past. If they had found that numbers would be up that significantly then I think they would be more keen on building it.

:)

The important question is, has anyone worked out a route that avoids them yet? ;)

Always wondered with this old bypass is where exactly would it go? Since most of the fields are owned by people, might be a bit difficult... Perhaps that's why the car park charge doesn't fund it anymore, wasn't finacially viable in a set number of years? [/wild speculation]

I think given the money they have collected from the car parks, Alton could fund a huge part of any relief road.

I believe the original route would have needed land from JCB - but they refused. I believe JCB own most of the land in this area.

GaryH said:
I think given the money they have collected from the car parks, Alton could fund a huge part of any relief road.

I believe the original route would have needed land from JCB - but they refused. I believe JCB own most of the land in this area.

There you go then...

If JCB aren't flexible on giving land away, then what chances are there of this actually being built? Seems quite low and would certainly explain why it's never mentioned from the park...

Wasn't it not so much to do with JCB's land, but more of that Alton Towers and the council could not come to an agreement with funding the relief road.

Alton Towers will not fund it entirely without council backing/funding, and the council are not willing to fund much into it. With funding not coming to an agreement clearly Alton Towers does not see the incentive in funding the whole things themselves.

Come in through Farley end? I don't see the point hope they are removed in a few years.