• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Speed bumps in Alton village

Carolyn

TS Member
Saw item on Teletex today saying work has started to put speed bumps and other traffic-calming measures in Alton village after complaints from villagers about the speed of some vehicles.

Work expected to take 5 weeks. That will be fun for those attending half term week.

Yes it's true. A village where traffic crawls at the best of time is having speed bumps installed

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

They need to change the priority by the Blacksmiths Arms so traffic out of AT doesn't back up through the village.

Or they could always just build that bypass. You know, the one they said would be funded by the parking charge, before they abandoned the idea in favour of simply increasing said charge...

DiogoJ42 said:
Or they could always just build that bypass. You know, the one they said would be funded by the parking charge, before they abandoned the idea in favour of simply increasing said charge...
You took the words right out of my mouth, mate.

The parking charge would be NOWHERE NEAR enough to fund a by pass. It'd take public money, too - which just isn't an option.

Oh, of course. But that was the original justification for the charge, was it not?

Partially I think - though wasn't it also primarily for resort road upkeep and monorail upkeep? (Though ironically it appears not to be spent there either :p)

The LDTP has thrown out the idea of a bypass now anyway - so there's no chance of that even being thought of before 2020 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I reckon attendance would up by at least a third if a bypass was ever built. The main thing you hear people complain about in regards to Alton Towers is the difficulty of getting there/the awful roads. A bypass would make visiting more regularly a lot more appealing.

I have read through the LTDP pdf and there is a rating system on one page which rates from -2 to +2 on some aspects if X amount of admissions is reached. If 3 million is reached it would have a -1 effect on the traffic situation (i.e. making it worse) but anything less would have a 0 effect except if they didn't invest in AT which would have a +1 effect.

However due to the hotels/lodges, the traffic effect is reduced due to more staying over. Hence AT see little need for a VERY expensive bypass.

Yes, but I live 6miles away and yet u get put off by the lack of transport links and shockingly bad roads. I mean today the first bus to get me to the park is 10:18 so that's 18mins after it has already opened. Going by car means sitting at traffic lights due to the council deciding to add pointless speed bumps.

I agree the roads are awful and call for road improvements and better transport links, but I thought what I saw was worth sharing.

I wonder how many lowered and body kitted cars are going to damage there sumps and body kits driving over these bumps.

delta79 said:
I wonder how many lowered and body kitted cars are going to damage there sumps and body kits driving over these bumps.

Or how many normal cars which will have the suspension wrecked?

Speed bumps are a dangerous menace on the roads, especially to motorbike riders, you clip the edge of a wet speed hump and your a gonna. Not to mention the damage they do to any cars suspension and the inside of the car tyres. They also increase noise and pollution where they are installed, and usually over time they deteriorate causing more problems to cars. In fact, the vehicles that need slowing down, I.e. buses and lorries are the only vehicles that can get over them without slowing down.

Putting them in Alton village is a crazy idea, traffic going through there by nature of the roads is already slow. Personally used it more as the residents wanting to create an inconvenience to tourists, who will hopefully then try and find another way into the park (something that frequently happens in an area where speed bumps are installed.....cars just try and find a different route) -

Would be interesting to know how many accidents and fatalities there have been along those roads caused by excessive speed and if it would even warrant the speed humps.... My guess is that it would not.

Edit ..... The parking charge was originally introduced to fund the relief road. Its now seen as a money spinner , not sure where the money goes as it sure as hell don't go on the roads in the park which are in a shocking state.

Fredward said:
Speed bumps are speed bumps, if a car can't get over them safely, then its not road legal.

Untrue..... Look at many sports cars, they are so low that they scrape the underneath of the car if they go over a hump... And they are factory standard road legal cars.

Overwhelming majority will go over the speed bump though.

Top Gear will not put any cars on their fastest lap board if they cannot go over a sleeping policeman (same term). The amount of cars they've done that to, are very few and far between. Most won't be road legal anyway!

GaryH said:
Speed bumps are a dangerous menace on the roads, especially to motorbike riders, you clip the edge of a wet speed hump and your a gonna....

I ride a bike and do not find speed bumps dangerous as long as you slow down before approaching them... which is not the point of them?

They are only dangerous if you ride at them at a stupid speed and not slow down.

Since they do the job, I see nothing wrong with them. They are a nuisance, but they do their job.

GaryH said:
Fredward said:
Speed bumps are speed bumps, if a car can't get over them safely, then its not road legal.

Untrue..... Look at many sports cars, they are so low that they scrape the underneath of the car if they go over a hump... And they are factory standard road legal cars.

apologies for using the term road legal. But if a car can't go over a speed bump, there's not much point taking it on the road as the only logical reason for ownership of such a car is for track, You will find speed bumps everywhere all over the country, your choice to mod or buy a car with an impractical height, well that's your fault...

but yeahhhh.... moving on.... as this is borderline off topic.

When I'm on my bike I just speed straight through the gap between the road hump and the road?

I'd prefer to just see a bypass built, but one can dream!