• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Speed bumps in Alton village

Guys, Alton's roads are not just used by visitors - staff getting to and leaving work often speed down those roads, and of course between 11am and 4pm those roads are just like any other small village roads!

I'm pretty sure most of the people of Alton actually have a life that isn't totally wrapped up in the theme park!

Even during closed season, very few cars dare go fast down there. Either way, these humps are pretty pointless

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I had a look the other day when I drove past, and by the looks of things they are the big proper speed bumps, and not the smaller cushion style ones.

They look like they are made from blocks of stone.

Oh god no. Ive written to the speed camera partnership with a view to get casualty statistics along the stretches of road into alton towers..... just out of interest to see if there is any justification for these ruddy things.

Rollercoasters4Life said:
Can anyone tell me which road/s it is happening on? Google Maps would help a lot...:)

It's on Smithy Bank, right in the middle of Alton.

I've requested accident/incident statistics for the roads from the end of Denstone Lane, right up to the entrance of Alton Towers over the past 4 years to see what the rate is. Would be interesting to see if there is actually a risk of accidents on this route or if its just the locals trying to be annoying.

So far there is just one speed bump (right outside the Londis shop in Alton village), but there could be more coming?

djtruefitt said:
I had a look the other day when I drove past, and by the looks of things they are the big proper speed bumps, and not the smaller cushion style ones.

They look like they are made from blocks of stone.

I'm sorry, but they're really not that big,they're more of small ramp than speed bumbs. Seriously, the way you describe it, it was six foot high and you'll take off when you go over them at speed. I go over them most days, and you can hardly feel them.

So yeah, they're not that big. XD

I drove over one of them today, you can't really tell it's even there. So yeah, not really a problem at all!

:)

Yeah they're alright, they are the 'nice' sort of speed bump as the ramp on either side of the one that's been finished has a very shallow gradient.

Although it will take some time to get used to it, I got a surprise the other day as I went over it as I wasn't paying attention and forgot it was there :p

By big bump, I did mean across the whole road rather than the little ones you get. I went over it today and I agree its not massive or anything, we will probably see properly when its finished. Do we know if they are adding any more, or just the one?

I'd imagine they'll put at least one more in, seems a little pointless just having one.

:)

Ok so I have received the road casualty stats back from the safety camera people for the roads into Alton, and they are as follows: (they are shown in date, severity, time, road)

New Road, Alton Village

12/04/2009 Slight 1945 NEW RD.ALTON.

07/07/2010 Slight 0625 NEW ROAD ALTON J/W HIGHST
22/07/2010 Slight 0850 NEW RD. J/W STATION RD.ALTON
30/07/2010 Slight 1000 NEW RD ALTON APPROX 110MTRS N/W J/W MALTHOUSE RD
06/08/2010 Slight 1025 NEW RD ALTON APPROX 80 MTRS STH J/W STATION R

Farley Lane, Leading up to Alton Towers

11/05/2009 Slight 0745 FARLEY LANE O/S ENT TO ALTON TOWERS
06/06/2009 Slight 1920 FARLEY LN J/W SERVICE RD TO ALTON TOWERS FARLEY
05/08/2009 Slight 2040 FARLEY LN.J/W SECURITY ENT.TO ALTON TOWERS.
25/10/2009 Serious 1740 FARLEY LN.APPROX.45MTS.S/W PINK LODGE ALTON.

26/04/2010 Slight 1210 FARLEY LANE ALTON O/S ALTON TOWERS TRADE ENT
26/05/2010 Slight 1822 FARLEY LANE APPROX 130MTS SW J/W WOOTTON LANE ALTON
09/08/2010 Slight 1200 FARLEY LN.J/W SECURITY LODGE TO ALTON TOWERS.
30/12/2010 Slight 2115 FARLEY LANE ALTON ON BEND BY THE OLD MILL

11/04/2011 Slight 1815 FARLEY LANE FARLEY J/W ALTON TWRS EXIT
21/05/2011 Slight 1640 FARLEY LN.J/W ENT.'ALTON SECURITYLODGE'FARLEY.
17/07/2011 Slight 1750 FARLEY LANE J/W GOODS ENT TO ALTON TOWERS ALTON
23/07/2011 Slight 1830 FARLEY LN.OS.'CHAINED OAK FARM'B&B FARLEY.
25/09/2011 Slight 1520 FARLEY LANE ALTON NR ENT ALTON TOWERS
14/10/2011 Slight 1735 FARLEY LANE FARLEY APPROX 47MTS SW 'PINK LODGE'

22/04/2012 Slight 1240 FARLEY LANE ALTON APPROX 35 MTRS S/W OF J/W WOOTTON LANE
19/09/2012 Slight 0916 FARLEY LANE FARLEY J/W SECURITY ENT ALTON TOWERS
16/10/2012 Slight 2150 FARLEY LANE FARLEY APPROX 40MTS SW PINK LODGE
01/11/2012 Slight 1825 FARLEY LANE J/W WOOTTONLANE FARLEY

So in terms of the road where the speed humps are going, there were just 5 incidents, none in the past 2 years and all were slight. Hardly cause for fitting speed humps.

If anything, its Farley Lane which is the trouble area, with all of the accidents taking place within Alton Opening.Closing times (bar one or two). Also seems that the entrance to Alton Towers security road is an accident hot spot. Wonder if its because people slam on the brakes there thinking its the entrance to the park?!

The guy from the safety cameraship who sent me the stats said they are going to be a detailed analysis on Farley Lane over the next year.

Anyway peeps - next time your driving up to Alton, be wary around this part of the road!!