• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SPOILERS: Thorpe Park 13th October 2012 - Fright Nights

Tuggerz

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Man Demz
As I'd not been to Fright Nights before and felt the need to, I decided to take a trip to Thorpe last weekend to see what the Mazes were like.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with what I was presented with...

Reviews as follows:

Saw: Alive -
I've done Saw before, when it was open and not on fire... I thought it was mediocre before and not hugely scary, but I think that's because I'd not been in a maze before so had no idea what to expect and so was slightly nervous...
So I hoped to see something with a bit more effort for Halloween, however, I was presented with a maze with little thought put into acting, set design was still great however, but the actors barely used the space they were given, there was no real emphasis on the Saw plot, It felt rushed and hardly scary, Apart from the fact that the group was led the wrong way by an actor and thus needing to backtrack through a scene the maze lasted only a few minutes, it lacked scare potential... I believe this is the actors fault as I felt that the maze itself looked great, this is due to the fact that it has been a permanent attraction however, so no real planning needs to be made.
All in all, I felt that the maze was simply no improvement from previous years, no worse... but no better either.
I give saw a 5/10

The Curse -
I'd heard rumors that The Curse was a pretty sub-standard maze before, but I wanted to go in this maze with a fresh insight.
However, I was greeted with the most poorly planned Maze I had ever laid my eyes on, light pouring in from the outside of the maze, obvious locations for actors to pop out from, and apparently there's a story to go with this? For a maze that's been at the park for quite some time, I would expect some real thought to be put into it, however it simply lacked everything to make it scary.
The theme within the maze was basic at best, It had no real focus on anything and I really wanted it to be better than it was given credit for, simply disappointing.
I give The Curse a 2/10

Experiment 10 -
Finally a maze I have something good to say about, I found Experiment 10 quite unnerving, The fact of being alone in a Scare Environment still spooks me, despite partaking in Project Fear, The actors within this maze played their parts very well bar one, The whole maze was themed very well, with very good costumes used and a particularly scary decontamination zone, I do love Theatrical smoke...

I couldn't help but love the thought put into this maze and the real focus on being on your own.
However, being alone doesn't last long enough, there aren't enough really scary parts and the final actor/scene was very very disappointing, A man running out after smashing a fake window does not scare me in the least...
Overall I give Experiment 10 a 7/10

The Asylum -
This maze impressed me beyond any other, despite the fact that scenes weren't put together very well, actors did their very best to unnerve you, I think there's something about a mental asylum that puts chills down anyone's spine, I really felt spooked in here and even got a lot of attention from a pair of twins that felt it very appropriate to play with my hair.

I think that The Asylum is a firm favorite of mine.

I give The Asylum a solid 8/10.

The Passing -
AKA. WTF The Maze, I really emphasise that... I really had no clue what was happening within that maze, I got the idea that I'd been sentenced to death, for a crime I was unknown to ( I later found out that it was arsony, yet my Fiancee didn't realise to look on the bag),
I was then dumped into another room with my group, told that I was dead and I was in a coffin in the ground, a TV was switched on above me with a bright sunny day shining upon me, It was dark outside... there must be some kind of continuity error happening.. and then had people call me scum, thanks Thorpe, you truly have a way with words. After which, I was told to proceed into a tunnel, A white one on the outside, yet completely pitch black within, I was lost for at least a minute until I ended up out of said tunnel after a few slips and slides and banging my head a few times. Once out of the tunnel, only 3 of my group remained, we made our way through the rest of the few barely themed scenes that there were, only to turn up in a brick room with a picsolve monitor and a woman asking for the bags back in plain Thorpe uniform, I must say... I thought that was the end, yet no, there was more, a fight with some black plastic curtains and a single actor that went boo at me, and then the exit... I really had no idea what actually happened in there...

I give The Passing a 4/10.

So overall, I felt that Fright Nights was simply disappointing despite The Asylum being very good.

Overall, better than Scarefest last year, Nemesis Inferior looked pretty cool despite using a disgusting green gel as the colour